Nyakuza Metro - N4A Chat Thread - June 2019

April

Studio Khara also insisted the new dub call Shinji "the third children" because, like I don't even know why? I'm sure Studio Khara was trying to preserve the impact of the work with their heavy-handedness, but when if they're insisting on unnatural phrasing as "third children,"  it just comes across as if they don't have an intuition for how their own translation sounds in English and, subsequently, whether or not they did preserve the impact is an open question.

For those of you who know Japanese, you can read or watch the scene here; 'suki' is the keyword--is it 'like' or 'love' in this context? This is how the dubs translated it. Most of what I've heard secondhand (I don't know Japanese) generally agrees Kaworu's romantic interest is clear in the Japanese script. I can make a guess what Studio Khara was trying to accomplish--e.g. they thought Kaworu came off too strong or straightforward in the ADV dub--but the new phrasing lands (intentionally or not) as the most awkward way to make Kaworu not sound gay. Kaworu having romantic feelings for Shinji is so well-documented elsewhere (e.g. this earlier draft/full draft), that I don't know what is accomplished by having a  translation where that's less clear. Most people will walk away from the new dub thinking the dub was straightwashing Kaworu, genuinely think Kaworu was just trying to be really close friends(tm), or confused about Kaworu's whole presence, which I don't think is the impact SK wanted to land ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Ares

The Insignia DS Power pack i got at Best Buy is working perfectly so far

Also reveals that the issue was with the charger cord and not the DS itself- the new one fits pretty snug in the charging port

So that’s quite good

_____

Also finally now have Minecraft Java Edition

Now i just need to figure out how mods work...

and hope my laptop can handle them

Edited by Shadow118
1 hour ago, luca said:

Which doesn't make a lick of sense because it was Studio Khara's own hired translator, so you'd figure they would want to keep the impact of their own work intact. y;

Anno isn't exactly known for his high opinion of the original Eva lol
But unless it's in-house translation, or the translation team is directly communicating with them, it's not going to make much difference who did the hiring.

not the only example of Japanese companies insisting on awkward English sadly. Compare Metal Gear Solid to all its sequels (and remake) and you'll see loads of questionable lines because Kojima didn't like that good English translation required finishing thoughts and giving more context than in Japanese

Edited by Pichi

Good news is that things feel like they’ve cleared up from what I can tell 

Haven’t had too much coughing/throat clearing or congestion this morning 

Unfortunately im still bloody exhausted and with not much proper sleep stil...

Probably something suited to bring up with a doctor i think... could probably use some alterations with some things... just don’t know what yet, though