Nyakuza Metro - N4A Chat Thread - June 2019

April

4 hours ago, Ares said:

Apparently Netflix scrubbed the gay from EP 24 of Eva 

Then what's even the point y;

Like, it's not even a matter of yaoi-baiting. All the anti-Christ symbolism loses its meaning if Kawaru only "likes" Shinji rather than "loves" him.

Oof. Pretty bad hangover today. I threw up earlier and nothing really came out; one plate of pancakes later I feel like I might go try again. I called in sick and as if the anxiety of talking on the phone wasn't bad enough, my manager's tone of voice suggested she either didn't really believe I was sick, or she was just in a hurry to get off the phone with me. Either way it put me in a worse mood.

On the bright side, I think that Crash Team Racing remake is out today? I'll probably log some hours on that once my headache goes away.

I just started watching it too, only one episode down myself. I've heard that the new netflix translation is inferior, losing some of the depth of the original. I've never seen the series anyway so I won't know the difference but it does give me pause. That said, the first ep is a good one. I know this series gets pretty avant garde later on and I can already see hints of it coming through.

Evangelion is a series that I'm certain most people are going to hate the shit out of or be confused by tremendously the first time they watch it.  It wasn't until my third watch that things started falling into place for me.

End of Evangelion in particular is is going to leave some people fucked-up. y;

Edited by luca

21 hours ago, Ares said:

Apparently Netflix scrubbed the gay from EP 24 of Eva 

Then what's even the point y;

man wtf
if y'all want the series proper just lmk and i'll make a personal torrent lol.
bear in mind if you choose the original english though that it's going to be as dated as you'd expect

Edited by Pichi
7 hours ago, Pichi said:

man wtf
if y'all want the series proper just lmk and i'll make a personal torrent lol.
bear in mind if you choose the original english though that it's going to be as dated as you'd expect

I have the platinum series DVDs so I can watch it at my leisure. If I want subbed HD, I'll manage by myself, but thanks for offering to help.

It was probably/hopefully a case of overly literal translation that just has really bad optics, but it's like "those 12 minutes are one of the first time I saw gay in media" so there's a lot of sentimental value to that sequence.

And I'm more than halfway through magical kappa boys and I'm not entirely sure what to think about it. It's only 5 more episodes, so I might as well finish. It's enjoyable enough, I guess?

Edited by Ares

afaik it's a more literal translation than before, but it feels like the meaning in context of the scene is gutted of so much impact as a result.

Oh well I still have my BDs with subs.  I might watch the Netflix adaption to check out the dubbing, but eh.

I’m at a party right now. It’s really wish I was at home. Unfortunately I’ve had to much to drink due to a number of issues and can’t drive home. Man I’m unhappy and just want to be in my room with my fish and my own bed. 

12 hours ago, luca said:

afaik it's a more literal translation than before, but it feels like the meaning in context of the scene is gutted of so much impact as a result.

Oh well I still have my BDs with subs.  I might watch the Netflix adaption to check out the dubbing, but eh.

literal in the sense of "i looked it up in the dictionary" maybe. not in the sense of it being accurate.

7 hours ago, Pichi said:

literal in the sense of "i looked it up in the dictionary" maybe. not in the sense of it being accurate.

Which doesn't make a lick of sense because it was Studio Khara's own hired translator, so you'd figure they would want to keep the impact of their own work intact. y;