Nyakuza Metro - N4A Chat Thread - June 2019

April

I don't see Nintendo making an online only console. 

So many online only games are motivated in large part by microtransactions. And, when it comes to console games, Nintendo has avoided these entirely from their first party *console* games. Hell, Splatoon barely feels like a live service despite fitting any formal definition one to a tee *because* it eschews mtxns. 

There is a push for streaming, but I feel at least for Stadia, that's Google wanting a piece of the gaming industry pie and thinking a Netflix model would carve out a niche for themselves. Sony tried a streaming service and mostly backed out by letting subscribers download PS Now games and I swear there was a genuine attempt at streaming like five years ago that went out of business, so uhh, I don't know why Google thinks they can fair better with America's terrible infrastructure. I feel this push for streaming is mostly separate from prevelance of live services and such, though. 

Edited by Ares

I don't see streaming games gaining ground to be completely honest.  Japan's effectively the only country on Earth where it's possible, but America or especially Australia don't have the internet infrastructure to ever support it well enough, I feel.  Netflix and things like that are lot different than streaming games since latency and input issues become very problematic.  For high-fidelity genres like fighting games, action games, I feel like any stability issues would make those games unplayable.

I can see a future where it exists, but I'm not sure about now.

Yeah, you guys are probably right. :) I know that in most places as pointed out, the infrastructure is just not there. 

In other news... 2 million people in downtown Toronto today to celebrate the Raptors Championship win... talking about not having infrastructure, our city (I guess most of you would laugh at me for calling it that though) can’t take all those bodies in one spot. :( 

y'all I was at Porter Robinson's Second Sky Festival yesterday and I'm still so so so shook I saw Wednesday Campanella, Anamanaguchi, Kero Kero Bonito, Madeon and Porter Robinson (Virtual Self AND Worlds!!!) irl in one day. Also Cashmere Cat, Chrome Sparks, and Skrillex??? Like, literally a dream lineup and I still can't get over it. Took the day off work today to relax and am sunburnt to a crisp but it was all worth it.

How is everyone this monday?

11 minutes ago, fuzz said:

y'all I was at Porter Robinson's Second Sky Festival yesterday and I'm still so so so shook I saw Wednesday Campanella, Anamanaguchi, Kero Kero Bonito, Madeon and Porter Robinson (Virtual Self AND Worlds!!!) irl in one day. Also Cashmere Cat, Chrome Sparks, and Skrillex??? Like, literally a dream lineup and I still can't get over it. Took the day off work today to relax and am sunburnt to a crisp but it was all worth it.

i don't know half of those words but i know porter robinson and i know anamanguchi and that sounds really rad flower; i kinda wanna start getting into more madeon, i've only heard like 3 songs but i love em 

today is a day for animal crossing, botw, and laundry, v boring and chill as always

2 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

At the end of the day, the best way to ensure that you'll always have access to your games is to buy physical copies. Anything locked behind an online subscription service is destined to eventually disappear forever once the servers inevitably go down.

Definitely. If you're able to. Some games are only available digitally sadly. :( 

25 minutes ago, wildflower said:

i don't know half of those words but i know porter robinson and i know anamanguchi and that sounds really rad flower; i kinda wanna start getting into more madeon, i've only heard like 3 songs but i love em 

today is a day for animal crossing, botw, and laundry, v boring and chill as always

It was SO rad!! Literally the happiest I've been in a long time. madeon is so good!! And his and Porter's friendship is the cutest thing ever, they closed out the festival performing Shelter together.

That sounds like such a chill day! Been seeing BOTW speedrun vids pop up on my recommended vids on youtube and whenever I watch one it makes me want to start playing again..

11 minutes ago, fuzz said:

It was SO rad!! Literally the happiest I've been in a long time. madeon is so good!! And his and Porter's friendship is the cutest thing ever, they closed out the festival performing Shelter together.

That sounds like such a chill day! Been seeing BOTW speedrun vids pop up on my recommended vids on youtube and whenever I watch one it makes me want to start playing again..

ahh that's really cool! i hope i can get to more concerts soon, the vibe is always so fun

its my first time going through botw!! its been very fun! i'm near the end but there's still a shitton to do so i'm in between wanting to see the ending and wanting to do all this other shit lol

seeing the sequel trailer and looking for clues in it was so much fun i think i'm probably gonna finish it soon just so i can talk more about the ending lol

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I wish. I have that or AT&T to choose from. anhero;  But on the bright side, at least the cap is at 600gb now instead of 250gb a month.

i hear their fiber is actually p solid if you have that despite their shit history. we may be switching to it soon

3 hours ago, fuzz said:

YOU GOT TO SEE KKB

JEALOUS