Nyakuza Metro - N4A Chat Thread - June 2019

April

Tales of Vesperia thoughts, nearing the end of Act 2:

Spoiler

This game really can't decide what it wants to be. It throws around so many themes of "justice", "social class", "balance of nature", but it never really comes full circle. The fact that Yuri has killed multiple people and hasn't had his comeuppance bothers me. Scene direction is also silly. "We're standing in front of a giant cannon that's ready to kill us, but sure, let's all stop and assess your feelings. There's no better time." Patty really brings down the game, to the point I could understand someone if they preferred the original version of the game. I am having fun with the game and there are qualities I like, but I'm glad I didn't ever take the plunge of buying a 360 to play just this game, though.

straight two hours of mario party 10. arin and dan play this crowd interactive game where there are 4 players and each team chose a character. I wanted Toad but there was an outcry for Rosalina. Other team chose Wahluigi. When minigames happen, a person came around and chose people from each team to be champions. One of wahluigis was a baby. We chanted "baby." it was glorious. Arin screwed my team over and was booed. Dan lost terribly at the end. Wahluigi won with gangster "W" hand signs. Got a Starbomb cd signed on the cover. Fun stuff.

20190605_201808.jpg

Edited by Kirbymeister2

are there any tales games that are actually as good as symphonia?
i see people always recommend either vesperia or abyss as ones most similar to it, but always hear mixed things about both games.
abyss is supposed to be the only other one directed by the same person as symphonia, though

16 minutes ago, Pichi said:

are there any tales games that are actually as good as symphonia?
i see people always recommend either vesperia or abyss as ones most similar to it, but always hear mixed things about both games.
abyss is supposed to be the only other one directed by the same person as symphonia, though

Ask @Ares.

Yeah, Abyss/Vesperia/Symphonia were done by the same team. Starting with the fourth game, the Tales team was split in two; Team Symphonia did Symphonia, Abyss, and Vesperia and Team Destiny did Destiny 2, Destiny remake, Rebirth, and Graces-f. They then came back together since Xillia because Namco couldn't afford two teams apparently, but I think they still follow each respective team's philosophy since Xillia felt like a team symphonia game and Zestiria felt like a team destiny game.

My personal favorite of the Team Symphonia games is probably Abyss. I felt the game had interesting setting, even though I admit it's lore and backstory can get a bit too convoluted for its own good. The cast was a huge standout, especially Jade Curtiss; although I recognize Luke is an obnoxious little twat. Gameplay was a natural evolution of Symphonia, but I feel gameplay is where Tales games gave generally improved on with each installment (except maybe Zestiria). 

I enjoyed Vesperia a lot at the time, but I haven't touched the game in over a decade so hell if I know if it holds up well. Yuri was a great main character as I recall, and you can play as dog. That's right: a playable doge. It was also the first game with fully voiced skits, so that made the skits much more enjoyable especially since skits are the storytelling feature that makes tales games standout.

Edited by Ares

Just finished Dracula's Curse, the final game in the Castlevania Anniversary Collection that I hadn't played before.

However, I did so through the use of save states.

I cheated not only the games, but myself.

I didn't grow.

I didn't improve.

I took a shortcut and gained nothing.

I experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained.

It's sad that I don't know the difference.

Memes aside, Simon's Quest was ironically the one that I enjoyed most, as despite following a walkthrough for the entire thing, it still felt more like a Metroidvania than any of the other "classic" ones.

Now I just need to play Order of Ecclesia, and then I'll be all set for Bloodstained!

12 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

Just finished Dracula's Curse, the final game in the Castlevania Anniversary Collection that I hadn't played before.

However, I did so through the use of save states.

I cheated not only the games, but myself.

I didn't grow.

I didn't improve.

I took a shortcut and gained nothing.

I experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained.

It's sad that I don't know the difference.

Memes aside, Simon's Quest was ironically the one that I enjoyed most, as despite following a walkthrough for the entire thing, it still felt more like a Metroidvania than any of the other "classic" ones.

Now I just need to play Order of Ecclesia, and then I'll be all set for Bloodstained!

When my free time is limited and I'm playing older games, and Save States is an option, I take that option.

1 hour ago, EH_STEVE said:

When my free time is limited and I'm playing older games, and Save States is an option, I take that option.

Yeah. Abusing save states in older games is fine, IMO. Usually all you’re doing is skipping over the pointless trekking back to the part you’re struggling with. The part that always bugged me was that wasted time. I still feel like I accomplish something when I finally conquer that cheap jump or what have you.

Old games are designed to be cheap on purpose to artificially extend your play time, as they had more limited resources to build games back then so could not make them naturally long. Games are generally easier now because they can get away with that while still making a satisfyingly lengthy experience.

Old school difficulty is frankly based on antiquated game design, and in my opinion shouldn’t be held up so often as the model for good games.

2 minutes ago, DranSeasona said:

Yeah. Abusing save states in older games is fine, IMO. Usually all you’re doing is skipping over the pointless trekking back to the part you’re struggling with. The part that always bugged me was that wasted time. I still feel like I accomplish something when I finally conquer that cheap jump or what have you.

Old games are designed to be cheap on purpose to artificially extend your play time, as they had more limited resources to build games back then so could not make them naturally long. Games are generally easier now because they can get away with that while still making a satisfyingly lengthy experience.

Old school difficulty is frankly based on antiquated game design, and in my opinion shouldn’t be held up so often as the model for good games.

Yeah I'm playing through StarTropics and dying and going back to a checkpoint with no health or items you collected is an absolute pain. So I Save State every few screens.

7 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

Exactly.

The biggest flaw of NES Metroid is that dying means you have to start over with 30 health, no matter how many Energy Tanks you have. This means that you have to waste five minutes sitting in front of a pipe waiting for mooks to pop out so you can kill them to refill your health.

And no map.

Zero Mission could've left out that extra post-game stuff and still have been 100x better than the NES version

2 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

And no map.

Zero Mission could've left out that extra post-game stuff and still have been 100x better than the NES version

Zero Mission is one of the best games remakes I've played, next to Resident Evil ('REmake') on GameCube.

Having a map in Metroid is a must. Metroid I and II both desperately needed their remakes just for that alone.

4 minutes ago, Ares said:

is it in reference to this?

because if so, that's a really shitty thing of xseed to do.

Yeah, it is.

If your company policy is to erase the names of people who worked on a game just because they no longer work for your company, then your company policy needs to be changed.