Earthworm Jim 1&2 officially re-released on cartridge (SNES)

Just putting this out there for anyone who might be interested.  As some may know on here, I am a pretty huge retro gamer so I follow a lot of the cool shit going on within the gaming community when it comes to the retro stuff.  Iam8bit is doing a re-release which is officially licensed through Interplay (the company that owns Earthworm Jim) just like they did  with Street Fighter II, Mega Man X and Mega Man 2 through Capcom.  I got my copies of Mega Man 2 and Mega Man X last year (I think I may have posted about it in here because I was super excited about it).  So I do have some experience with their work and can vouch for them. 

They  do some of the best work I have seen on cartridges since the SNES heyday to the point where when I  opened up my carts and compared them to my older SNES game's PCBs, I was very impressed.  It really is about as close as you can get it nowadays with making it as official as you can.  Only 2000 copies are being made, the default cartridge color is Pink (which is cool by itself) but 100 of those will randomly be in a Cow Printed color.  Both games are coming on a combo cartridge which is pretty cool too. Like last year with the Mega Man carts, they are coming with a really nice embossed tri-fold collector's box, a premium instruction manual, and retro pack ins, which last year it was posters. The price is kind of a real sticking point for most people at a nice hefty $134.99. 

A lot of people are having a very difficult time with that pricing, especially since the Mega Man carts they did last year costed $100 a piece (which was still too much for most people to justify) which I was fortunate enough to get as Birthday Presents from my wife.  I guess the fact they are putting 2 games on 1 cart and they are limiting this to only 2000 with 1 in 20 being that cow print color is the justification of doing this.  These will be very rare collectible items one day and they are something I believe any huge retro gamer or huge Earthworm Jim fan would at least want.  I got lucky enough to mention it to a close friend of mine and he went out and bought it for me for this birthday.  That is two years in a row that I am getting Iam8bit legacy cartridges and I couldn't be more excited. 

Earthworm Jim was a game that I always played with friends at their house since when I was a kid I only had a SNES.  Obviously, it was released on SNES but I didn't know that at the time and it was hugely popular on the Sega Genesis.  Kind of makes me wonder why they didn't do this for the Genesis but maybe it's because the Super NES was easier to do for them or the quality of the both games overall was better on SNES than Genesis.  I really don't know why but it is still pretty damn cool.  I didn't get a Sega Genesis until late 1996 and by that time, the Sega was largely on it's way out.  I always had fun with the games and they were very memorable.  Anytime Iam8bit does official re-releases I am going to try my damnedest to get them regardless of price.  Like I keep telling people, it is really hard to put a price on sentimentality and I have a massive hard-on for the 16-bit generation of gaming. 

Here is the link to the site for pre-ordering this. Will be a bit of wait, won't start shipping until November of this year. Once again, this isn't some "Made in China" hack job or one of those cheap ass reproduction carts that you gotta worry about setting your SNES on fire.  This is the real deal, they aren't officially licensed by Nintendo (but that is to be expected) but are officially licensed through the publisher Interplay, and I can personally say that they are worth the money if you are a hardcore retro gamer or Earthworm Jim fan. They will also work in clone systems too.

Earthworm Jim 1&2 25th Anniversary Cart

EWJ_beautyshot_1200x628__03_a09f0553-e688-451a-b957-649f7cb1713c.jpg

Edited by Irondog666
21 hours ago, Pichi said:

why SNES though? don't most fans of this series prefer the genesis versions?
I've only played the second one and still have the SNES cart of it, but that's what I hear all the time

I honestly have no clue as to why SNES and not Genesis.  Maybe it has to do with the fact that Iam8bit does Nintendo carts.  They have never done a Sega Genesis or non-nintendo official re-release.  So I think that is why.  I asked the same question but that is what my conclusion was.