Ryme City - N4A Chat Thread - May 2019

3 hours ago, Pichi said:

Yeah I remember Cackletta fucking me up as a kid, but I appreciate that boss so much now, because it's so hard to find actually tough and fun bosses in a Mario-anything.

I never remember having an issue with Cackletta...

55 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

I never remember having an issue with Cackletta...

it was a pretty tough battle. the arm swings and a couple other ones are pretty tough man. it took me loads of attempts before i beat it. was like 12--13 at the time though.
Same thing with TTYD boss iirc, but she wasn't quite as bad

2 hours ago, Pichi said:

it was a pretty tough battle. the arm swings and a couple other ones are pretty tough man. it took me loads of attempts before i beat it. was like 12--13 at the time though. 

Same thing with TTYD boss iirc, but she wasn't quite as bad

For me, it was the fact the Mario Bros. start the battle with 1 HP. Even though a final boss is supposed to be hard to beat, that is one of the most heinous ways to start a final showdown. Wasting a turn to heal from that is just inexcusable. I don't know if there is such a cheaper way to start a finale in an RPG.  

At least TTYD didn't have you worry about that. At least THE SHADOW QUEEN   was a better villain and TTYD is an amazing game that remaking it would make it worse because of what they've done with the Paper Mario series currently.  

... Sorry, I still have horrible memories of the original Superstar Saga because of that boss. I was probably around Pichi's age when I first battled it. The game is good, sour mind or not. ... ... ... I'll talk about that other game when I finally "nuke" it.

I finally beat the final boss in Octopath Traveler. I felt empty defeating it just as much I felt preparing to defeat it. It's one of the most contradictory and obnoxious bosses of RPG history; so much so that it puts my hatred against Cackletta Soul to shame. 

Maybe playing Vesperia will make me feel better. The playable cast is quirky but engaging, and I found nothing wrong with the story so far.

Maybe it's just me. 

Edited by XLW

Yeah I mean 1hp was a little cheese but having heal-party items kinda nullifies all of that.
It's really just cause they balanced the game assuming you were gonna get decent at action commands.
Bit harder for kids to reach that level, though.
Granted, you can just equip mush badges and item hoard your way to an easy victory lmao

i recently started replaying superstar saga on the wii u bc after watching my SO play paper mario and smrpg, i was really in the mood to play a mario rpg again

i only played through it once as a kid...but even so, i barely remember anything about it; i have much stronger memories of partners in time, i dunno why

so far im loving going through it again, even tho im not that good at it flower; 

53 minutes ago, wildflower said:

i recently started replaying superstar saga on the wii u bc after watching my SO play paper mario and smrpg, i was really in the mood to play a mario rpg again

i only played through it once as a kid...but even so, i barely remember anything about it; i have much stronger memories of partners in time, i dunno why

so far im loving going through it again, even tho im not that good at it flower; 

hell yeaaaaaa
it's so good and maybe my fav mario rpg even though i love paper mario 64 to death

3 hours ago, ace said:

1) are you implying this is only Just Dance music and not a disco classic? 

2) the video is amazing and I will hear nothing less 

1. I was not implying that.

Both Moskau and Rasputin are original music used in Just Dance. (sorry I think I worded that wrong)

2. I was joking on that the music (not the video) was better. I was using the original music video because you did with Moskau. Both are good based on tastes. 

Edited by Kirbymeister2
12 minutes ago, Pichi said:

hell yeaaaaaa
it's so good and maybe my fav mario rpg even though i love paper mario 64 to death

its very charming, i love how cute and funny it is! i never played smrpg, but i think paper mario is my favorite mario rpg game....something about the gameplay of them all is so easy to pick up and enjoy

idk if i'm gonna replay partners in time though....i distinctly remember being annoyed with that game the first time i played it haha 

yeah it's supposedly the turd of the series.
the third one, Bowser's Inside Story, is usually praised, but I had a really bad first impression and returned it the next day lmao
it started off with a side scrolling section but the jumping physics were suddenly terrible even though they're perfect in Saga.
like... that's just something you can't mess up in a mario game man.
but i was probably overreacting lol. idr how the battles felt

2 minutes ago, Pichi said:

yeah it's supposedly the turd of the series.
the third one, Bowser's Inside Story, is usually praised, but I had a really bad first impression and returned it the next day lmao
it started off with a side scrolling section but the jumping physics were suddenly terrible even though they're perfect in Saga.
like... that's just something you can't mess up in a mario game man.
but i was probably overreacting lol. idr how the battles felt

oh, i never finished bowsers inside story either! i'm not sure how far i got into it, but i definitely gave it a fair shake and some part of the way through i was like 'why am i playing this? i'm not even having fun' lmao

i was trying to enjoy it for too long i think....i've kinda gotten over that in recent years; its a lot easier for me to put down games and be like 'this isn't really for me' or 'this isn't jiving with me right now'

life's too short to play games that don't spark joy!! that's why i have 1500 hours in animal crossing!!

i feel you on that, something about adulthood really hit my attention span for stories in games in particular unless there's something giving me a push to continue

i have no problem spending HOURS playing games that are lacking in story, like risk of rain or slay the spire, but the second i even think about picking up the gamepad to play the mario game i'm actually excited to play i suddenly would rather make the bed or do the dishes than sit down and read for .5 seconds

gamer life is suffering