What's with all the Disney hate

Vector

I know I've kind of touched upon this on my Captain Marvel thread, but I feel this should be its own topic. In recent years, Disney has gotten this reputation of being an "evil corporation" who "ruins" franchises like Star Wars and Marvel and pays the critics to give their movie good reviews. I can kind of see where this is coming from, with Disney being one of the biggest companies in the world. I can also get how Disney probably influences the critics a little bit, but I feel the same can be said with any other major studio like Universal. Besides, I just can't see movies like The Last Jedi and The Incredibles 2 getting over 90% on Rotten Tomatoes through corporate influence alone. I know RT can be unreliable at times, but a movie pleasing that high of a percentage of critics has to be at least genuinely good. Still, I always see a lot of channels (Geeks + Gamers and TheQuartering in particular) criticizing even the most critically acclaimed Disney movies more heavily than good movies from other studios like MI: Fallout, It, Shazam, and others. I really seems that there is some sort of bias against anything related to Disney, especially Star Wars. Is there something more to it than Disney just being a big company?

Speaking of Star Wars, I am perplexed by the state of this franchise. It seems that no matter what it does, the fandom will always seem to bash it in the end, and there is seemingly no way to please the fans universally. Even the TLJ which had been lauded by so many critics, still seemingly failed to convince the fans that Star Wars is ruined. I heard that this could be because of George Lucas's previous tinkerings created a lore so disparate in taste that appeals to no one person. I also feel that it has something to do with the franchise's legendary status as a household name in pop culture.

However is there anything more to it? And is there anyway the franchise can truly be "fixed"?

Edited by Vector

People always hate the guy on top. I'm sure everyone has one reason or another, but the people who love things are typically not the ones you hear from. Disney has been killing it with Marvel and Star Wars is still making bank. The old farts might be cranky but the kids love it. People seem to forget that they've always been the target audience. Back then everyone was crapping on Jar-Jar, but nowadays I find people that grew up watching those prequels talk about how they loved Jar-Jar.

One thing I always say: nobody hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans. They're NEVER HAPPY. EVER. 

That said, I do work for Disney. That does not influence what I'm saying here, though. There's plenty of things I hate about the company but the quality of what they've been putting out is definitely not it. 

Maybe it could have something to do with the inherent distrust one might have of a company amassing power by sucking up everything around it, especially media
Or perhaps all the money they spend on eternally lengthening copyright every time Mickey Mouse is about to hit public domain
and maybe for ruining the future of Marvel vs Capcom

I'll just reiterate that above point: while Disney is not a monopoly, they continue to acquire more and more products, bringing more brands under its wing.

There was the recent 21st Century Fox acquisition. To explain just how much additional stuff Disney now I'm going to include a list in spoiler. This list is by no means complete.

The Simpsons, Die Hard, Aliens, X-Files, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Archer, M*A*S*H*, King of the Hill, Avatar, Empire, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Independence Day, Home Alone, Titanic, Futurama, Beverly Hills, 90210, Arrested Development, Juno, Bob's Burgers, Black Swan, Ice Age, Modern Family, the X-Men movies, Alvin & The Chimpmunks, Office Space, There’s Something About Mary, Glee, The Bernie Mac Show, The Orville, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Young Frankenstein, and Cops, as well as 50% of the Endemol Shine Group, which means Disney partially owns things like Black Mirror, Toddlers & Tiaras, Big Brother, Deal or No Deal, Bananas in Pajamas, Wipeout and The Fall

And that's just 20th Century Fox, and it's a just drop in the bucket. If nothing else, the consolidation should be concerning.

I think The Last Jedi is bad especially as an 8th episode in a series and Captain Marvel is the worst MCU movie though I don't consider it as much of a failure as The Last Jedi. I think Captain Marvel is at least probably 5-6 scene changes away from being an average to above average origin film in the MCU, because the movie's main story and flow overall are all right. I'm also not down on End Game having seen its trailers in spite of how I felt about Captain Marvel. The Last Jedi on the other hand has made me question pretty much everything film-based for Star Wars going forward, and do think that's a much broader mind set than media and Disney will make it out to be. I mean, any trailer for a trilogy finale in Star Wars to me should be getting well over 24 million views in its first 24 hours not as a total its hitting a week later. Star Wars as a franchise under Disney is not reaching the potential it should be reaching and that has plenty to do with how Rey's trilogy has been handled. 

Beyond those two films, Disney has been solid to me in the films that I've had an interest in seeing. You mention The Incredibles 2 which I thought was better than what I had heard going in. Personally, if there's anything really wrong with The Incredibles 2, it's that it didn't release much closer to the original. They gave so much time for The Incredibles to cement itself as a classic that it was impossible for the sequel to really live up to that same level. I wouldn't mind rewatching The Incredibles 2 and I do hope it's a sign that Disney will stop sleeping on The Incredibles as an animated superhero universe. 

On 4/18/2019 at 7:34 PM, Carl321 said:

People always hate the guy on top. I'm sure everyone has one reason or another, but the people who love things are typically not the ones you hear from. Disney has been killing it with Marvel and Star Wars is still making bank. The old farts might be cranky but the kids love it. People seem to forget that they've always been the target audience. Back then everyone was crapping on Jar-Jar, but nowadays I find people that grew up watching those prequels talk about how they loved Jar-Jar.

One thing I always say: nobody hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans. They're NEVER HAPPY. EVER. 

That said, I do work for Disney. That does not influence what I'm saying here, though. There's plenty of things I hate about the company but the quality of what they've been putting out is definitely not it. 

Force Awakens was polarized at worst, but The Last Jedi simply failed to follow up on the hype in nearly every conceivable way. Mark Hamill even gave every subtle warning he could about it, as it was clear he didn't like the direction they were taking with Luke. The spinoff films thus far (Rogue One and Solo) were pretty universally loved though, and it's a shame that Solo failed due to timing. They shouldn't of released it theatrically around the time of Infinity War. There was also the behind the scenes drama that overwhelmed the general audience's impression of it to its detriment (in addition to the backlash after Last Jedi), but for what it was, Solo was a fun adventurous film, and it's a shame that its low BO performance put other spinoff films in the backburner. The Mandalorian show doesn't interest me much compared to what other spinoff films we still could've had. The new Clone Wars season I like the looks of though.

Star Wars may have always been for kids, but the original trilogy was mature enough to at least be enjoyed for all ages. Then come The Phantom Menace, you have Jar-Jar who was a little too kid-focused. At least the Ewoks weren't all over the place and constantly in your face. I was nearing my teens when TPM came out and even then, Jar-Jar just came off as a dumb annoying character, though I didn't have some hate obsession with him and got why the younger kids liked him. Nowadays though he's mostly used as a meme online to troll those who didn't like him. Helps too I guess that the hate for the prequels dwindled down over time with revisionism and nostalgia. That said, I think time will eventually make even the sequels more accepted, especially if episode 9 blows the previous two out of the water like I've been predicting.

Star Wars is such a big universe and thus has a majorly vast fanbase of all ages. Depends on what part you're referring to when you say they'll never be happy.

Star Wars and Marvel aside, I get where people are coming from on feeling like Disney is creatively bankrupt with all the live action remakes of their original properties which have often been poor imitations of the animated classics, but, they still make money, as nostalgia sells. I'm curious enough to at least check out The Lion King but have already lowered my expectations from the last trailer, particularly with Scar.

Toy Story 4 I'm sure will be successful too even as a "sequel that didn't need to happen", which doesn't feel all that inspired from the trailers, though can tell there's enough parts I'll enjoy. Frozen 2 I'm really excited for though far as Pixar, especially as one whose tired of seeing all the Frozen hate or hype backlash from how successful it was.

4 hours ago, IU said:

I think The Last Jedi is bad especially as an 8th episode in a series and Captain Marvel is the worst MCU movie though I don't consider it as much of a failure as The Last Jedi. I think Captain Marvel is at least probably 5-6 scene changes away from being an average to above average origin film in the MCU, because the movie's main story and flow overall are all right. I'm also not down on End Game having seen its trailers in spite of how I felt about Captain Marvel. The Last Jedi on the other hand has made me question pretty much everything film-based for Star Wars going forward, and do think that's a much broader mind set than media and Disney will make it out to be. I mean, any trailer for a trilogy finale in Star Wars to me should be getting well over 24 million views in its first 24 hours not as a total its hitting a week later. Star Wars as a franchise under Disney is not reaching the potential it should be reaching and that has plenty to do with how Rey's trilogy has been handled. 

Beyond those two films, Disney has been solid to me in the films that I've had an interest in seeing. You mention The Incredibles 2 which I thought was better than what I had heard going in. Personally, if there's anything really wrong with The Incredibles 2, it's that it didn't release much closer to the original. They gave so much time for The Incredibles to cement itself as a classic that it was impossible for the sequel to really live up to that same level. I wouldn't mind rewatching The Incredibles 2 and I do hope it's a sign that Disney will stop sleeping on The Incredibles as an animated superhero universe. 

The Last Jedi may have sucked, but I urge you not to let it ruin Star Wars for you, especially if episode 9 turns out to be good. Helps at least that J.J. Abrams consulted with George Lucas on the script for ep 9. I think that should be enough to make up for Rian Johnson's mess and have the trilogy end on a high note, like Revenge of the Sith did for the prequels.

• Chrom featured this topic
3 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

Force Awakens was polarized at worst, but The Last Jedi simply failed to follow up on the hype in nearly every conceivable way. Mark Hamill even gave every subtle warning he could about it, as it was clear he didn't like the direction they were taking with Luke. The spinoff films thus far (Rogue One and Solo) were pretty universally loved though, and it's a shame that Solo failed due to timing. They shouldn't of released it theatrically around the time of Infinity War. There was also the behind the scenes drama that overwhelmed the general audience's impression of it to its detriment (in addition to the backlash after Last Jedi), but for what it was, Solo was a fun adventurous film, and it's a shame that its low BO performance put other spinoff films in the backburner. The Mandalorian show doesn't interest me much compared to what other spinoff films we still could've had. The new Clone Wars season I like the looks of though.

Star Wars may have always been for kids, but the original trilogy was mature enough to at least be enjoyed for all ages. Then come The Phantom Menace, you have Jar-Jar who was a little too kid-focused. At least the Ewoks weren't all over the place and constantly in your face. I was nearing my teens when TPM came out and even then, Jar-Jar just came off as a dumb annoying character, though I didn't have some hate obsession with him and got why the younger kids liked him. Nowadays though he's mostly used as a meme online to troll those who didn't like him. Helps too I guess that the hate for the prequels dwindled down over time with revisionism and nostalgia. That said, I think time will eventually make even the sequels more accepted, especially if episode 9 blows the previous two out of the water like I've been predicting.

Star Wars is such a big universe and thus has a majorly vast fanbase of all ages. Depends on what part you're referring to when you say they'll never be happy.

Star Wars and Marvel aside, I get where people are coming from on feeling like Disney is creatively bankrupt with all the live action remakes of their original properties which have often been poor imitations of the animated classics, but, they still make money, as nostalgia sells. I'm curious enough to at least check out The Lion King but have already lowered my expectations from the last trailer, particularly with Scar.

Toy Story 4 I'm sure will be successful too even as a "sequel that didn't need to happen", which doesn't feel all that inspired from the trailers, though can tell there's enough parts I'll enjoy. Frozen 2 I'm really excited for though far as Pixar, especially as one whose tired of seeing all the Frozen hate or hype backlash from how successful it was.

The Last Jedi may have sucked, but I urge you not to let it ruin Star Wars for you, especially if episode 9 turns out to be good. Helps at least that J.J. Abrams consulted with George Lucas on the script for ep 9. I think that should be enough to make up for Rian Johnson's mess and have the trilogy end on a high note, like Revenge of the Sith did for the prequels.

I liked TLJ, hated Rogue One. Couldn't get into it. TLJ was far from perfect, but at least it had characters I cared about/for.

I think they should have approached Star Wars a bit differently. They put out this trilogy in the same fashion as they do Avengers' movies with frequent releases, they should have done away with the spin offs and taken more time between the films to develop the story and characters more. It's not really a franchise that you see rebooted every couple years like Marvel has done, at least in theaters, so it seems unlikely the franchise will be picked up again any time soon as there seems to be only one definitive version of this story. I can see why it might be upsetting the fan base.