Would be nice if Tales of Symphonia had a prequel

I still remember not long after Symphonia coming out and then again after Dawn of the New World that many people were of the mindset that Symphonia could use at least one more game and that would be a prequel.  This game would cover the period we only ever heard about in Symphonia which was the Great Kharlan War and the story of the heroes who "stopped it".  For sure, we know how this period eventually ends up and what it leads to but there is still a story to tell there and I think a great game can come of it as well.  I can't say that I've played a huge chunk of Tales games but of those that I've played none have really stuck with me as much as Symphonia did. From my perspective there is a lot left to experience with the story behind Mithos, Martel, Yuan and Kratos and that's something I think I'd like to play and in the right hands it could be something special at that.

I remember this idea being thrown around occasionally during my rabid Symphonia fan days, and I was all for it then, but I don't know if it would be worth returning to such an old entry now, especially with how different the Tales series seems nowadays.

Symphonia may not have aged as well but a hypothetical sequel wouldn't necessarily have to follow it exactly.  Outside of story beats and making its world make sense with the framing of the original they could stand to be more liberal with the rest of the game design.  Dawn of the New World pretty much did the same, pros and cons of their changes and additions notwithstanding.

But I get it, at this point Symphonia is almost 15 years old (at least in the west) and would probably be a hard sell returning to that even after the last entry which came out more than 10 years ago.

I don't think I've played the game since around the time it was released so I don't remember it too well, but from what I do remember there was a ton of backstory that could make for a good prequel, kind of like Torna: The Golden Country for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (which I actually haven't gotten around to playing yet…there are too many long RPGs that I want to play!).

It does feel like the window of opportunity might have passed, though. Even Dawn of the New World is over 10 years old now.

I had to look up where Tales of Phantasia takes place with Symphonia and dawn of the new world. 

For some reason I was think it was before Symphonia but it was after dawn of the new world. So yeah this thread question is warrantable of prequel to Symphonia.

We've hear very little what happen in the Kharlan War. It would be nice to see the story of Martel, Mithos and Yuan and Kratos. Could they make game just based on those four and the roles in the Kharlan war?