Koholint Island - N4A Chat Thread - April 2019

EH_STEVE

@fuzzPlayed in my first GP last weekend! Started off 0-2 sadly and ended up 5-3, barely missing day 2. Still played Hollow One as I feel Phoenix has too big a target on its head atm...

@Ephraim I'm a month late but damn good stuff on the first GP record! Hopefully it was a good time side-event and vendor wise even with the main event not going amazing. Its wild how popular Phoenix remains after these months - I figured it was just a phase but it's still around at #1 lol. This semester has straight up killed my magic playing but hey I'm finally almost graduated so at least I'll have some time for more Arena since I don't think I'll find a job right away lol.

This whole "you cheated not only the game but yourself" meme is great and all, but a lot of the tricks it's being applied to arguably require more skill than playing the game "normally".

Things like the Narpas Sword in Metroid or Casual mode in Fire Emblem could be argued as "cheats" in the vein of what that journalist used to beat Sekiro, but stuff like the Castlevania bat glitch or jumping backwards up the endless staircase in Mario 64 can only be done by someone with advanced knowledge of how the game works.

53 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

This whole "you cheated not only the game but yourself" meme is great and all, but a lot of the tricks it's being applied to arguably require more skill than playing the game "normally".

Things like the Narpas Sword in Metroid or Casual mode in Fire Emblem could be argued as "cheats" in the vein of what that journalist used to beat Sekiro, but stuff like the Castlevania bat glitch or jumping backwards up the endless staircase in Mario 64 can only be done by someone with advanced knowledge of how the game works.

If it's not online (PvP, Co-Op, MMO, or even Leaderboards), then I give absolutely zero shits how you want to enjoy the game. If you race me on Mario Kart 64, you bet your ass I'm jumping the wall on Wario's Stadium. Hell, I don't even know what the first section of that track looks like.

And like you said, some of the glitches people employ for speedruns are incredibly finnicky and difficult to pull off. Just because it's QUICKER doesn't mean it's EASIER.

Tbh, I think the entire discussion around Sekiro has pretty much turned me off from FS forever.

Like, I'm terrible at games that require real-time combat, and more reflection has made me realize it's probably an autism thing (id est, poor handeye coordination and/or executive function means I can't process/react to real time combat as timely as most NTs). In either case, Dark Souls has always come across as risky for me, especially with marketing and a fanbase that played up the "git gud" aspect that are major red flags. I'd become more open over the years of trying Dark Souls, and honestly once I completed my current round of backlog games, seriously entertained the possibility of trying the DS trilogy.

But like, seeing how Sekiro didn't even think twice of maybe adding an easy mode for accessibility isn't a good sign, but not anything new. What really left a huge impression is seeing how fans defended lack of easy mode. When I see so much of FS's fanbase not taking difficultly/accessibility seriously, I find it harder to trust their broader assessment on DS' difficultly knowing they're coming from people who probably haven't experienced what it's like to feel completely stuck in a game because your brain is too slow at processing real time combat. And the biggest tell is how many people don't even think of game difficulty as an *accessibility* issue, but see accessibility as simply a euphemism for player's comfort or convenience. BTW, it's been years since I've felt completely stuck in a game *because* difficulty options have become ubiquitous; without an easy mode, I'd probably only be able to finish half the games I do. And like, most of the time that's still challenging for me so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: I forgot about crash trilogy. I don't think I could make it past the first world in either the first or second game. 

Idk, when I hear phrases like "you cheated not only the game but yourself," it just brings up a lot of thoughts I've been having on Sekiro, but also FS in general. 

Edited by Ares
5 minutes ago, Ares said:

BTW, it's been years since I've felt completely stuck in a game *because* difficulty options have become ubiquitous; without an easy mode, I'd probably only be able to finish half the games I do. And like, most of the time that's still challenging for me so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'd like more games to take a page of the newest Tomb Raider's book for difficulty. You can change the difficulty of Puzzles, Exploration, and Combat all separately and change them at any time during play. You could easily tailor your experience of the game.

Also, for even just single player games, I don't think they need "Easy", "Norma"l, "Hard", etc. They should have have a 1-10 scale for: "Player Health/Defense", "Enemy Health/Defense", "Enemy AI" - there's times I find the enemies go down to easily, or that my character through exploring and sidequests is too God-like, that I really wouldn't mind changing some of these fairly basic settings.

idk man i understand the ableism that comes with video games and the lack of real work towards making things more accessible but im also firmly on the boat of like...not everything needs to be fully accessible to everyone, and its not the artist's responsibility to ensure that it is, either 

the game is meant to be hard, its their schtick and it has been for years and it fills a niche and 'git gud' isn't a deliberate roadblock meant for disabled gamers

if it isn't your thing, it isn't your thing, but the devs and creators shouldn't be flogged for not putting in an easy mode when that's not the kind of experience they're attempting to build 

I really feel that. I don’t want to sound like the people who are railing against cheating because I’m all for that in a single player game, but not every video game needs to be tailored to every player. I would have no actual problem with an easy mode in a FROM game if that’s what they decide to do, but they don’t have to do it. 

Plus I never really found Dark Souls that hard ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by ace

I think the conversation about accessibility has turned into one of difficulty. 

Difficult games can be accessible, just as easy games can be inaccessible. There are some options game developers can consider as options that make games more accessible. In addition to the aforementioned subtitles, developers could include a color blind mode, a fully mappable controller and the ability to disable motion controls. 

That is different from the conversation I've heard in regards to Sekiro. 

On 4/16/2019 at 1:14 AM, fuzz said:

@Ephraim I'm a month late but damn good stuff on the first GP record! Hopefully it was a good time side-event and vendor wise even with the main event not going amazing. Its wild how popular Phoenix remains after these months - I figured it was just a phase but it's still around at #1 lol. This semester has straight up killed my magic playing but hey I'm finally almost graduated so at least I'll have some time for more Arena since I don't think I'll find a job right away lol.

Thanks! I played in the MCQ qualifier side event the next day... started off 4-0(!) but ended up 4-2.

Enjoying bo1? :P

Aside from a couple random snow/cold day, the weather has warmed up again quite a bit and is quite nice out again

Nice to be able to wear regular shirts, shorts, and sandals again for Spring and Summer..

Although not all, but looks like Plants and Flowers have started blooming too - some are a bit late blooming though...

On 4/16/2019 at 10:58 AM, Tyranogre said:

jumping backwards up the endless staircase in Mario 64 can only be done by someone with advanced knowledge of how the game works.

nah man that trick is mad easy. you just longjump, slam the stick back and tap the jump button with the right rhythm.
lobby backwards long jump or the 0 star ones on the other hand...