Nintendo Labo kits $18 - $21 at Target (In-Store)!

Looks like Target is clearing out space for the up coming Nintendo Labo VR Kits. All 3 Labo kits (Variety, Robot and Vehicle) are on sale for $18-$21 at Target (In-Store)!

Now these are the prices I was expecting when Labo was announced. I still don't get why Nintendo priced them at $70 - $80, since it's just cardboard, but they probably had a good reason. I was just at my local Target on Sat. and didn't notice they were on sell. Maybe it went on sale on Sun...? If you have been on the fence about Labo or have any kind of interest in it, I'd HIGHLY recommend giving it a shot a these prices. Before building my first Toy-Con, I thought Labo was neat thing. Now after building the my first Toy-Con, I think Labo it's really freakn' cool! For more of my thoughts, check out my thread HERE

Edited by alienboyva
  • alienboyva changed the title to Nintendo Labo kits $18 - $21 at Target (In-Store)!

I'll check for these during my next Target run. I'm only really interested in the piano, but maybe my dad would like the fishing setup and my little cousins would like the dollhouse if I ever see them again.

But then I also feel bad for wanting the piano Toy-Con when (1) it is probably not a competent instrument and (2) I have an actual upright piano to my name if I ever haul it across town somehow from my late grandmother's house. I should probably be practicing on that one, Nintendo, you temptress.

16 hours ago, Destiny Hero said:

I'll check for these during my next Target run. I'm only really interested in the piano, but maybe my dad would like the fishing setup and my little cousins would like the dollhouse if I ever see them again.

But then I also feel bad for wanting the piano Toy-Con when (1) it is probably not a competent instrument and (2) I have an actual upright piano to my name if I ever haul it across town somehow from my late grandmother's house. I should probably be practicing on that one, Nintendo, you temptress.

The Piano is surprisingly more competent than you think, especially when you get into making your own waveforms. The only thing that can be a bit wonky is playing notes in a different octave. If you're playing a song and the next note you need to play is in a different octave, you have to use the lever on the left side. This adds a bit of extra thinking to playing some songs.

Still, you can do some pretty cool stuff with this piano...

Edited by alienboyva

@alienboyva ... heck. I am not a musical genius. Uh... so... the piano has a feature that lets it read a physical waveform, and generate sounds based on that? The sound represented by the waveform gets altered to different pitches depending on the key you press?

I've got plenty of experience with waveforms from video editing, but... for Labo, do they need to be physically, 3D-printed out? Couldn't he have printed out a waveform on standard paper and cut it out with scissors? I have no idea what the Labo piano does. Also, does it come with "sheet music" / instructions for playing songs on it? Like, I could look at the screen and play off the notes or something? Or is it 100% like a "free play" sandbox thing with no instructions?

40 minutes ago, Destiny Hero said:

@alienboyva ... heck. I am not a musical genius. Uh... so... the piano has a feature that lets it read a physical waveform, and generate sounds based on that? The sound represented by the waveform gets altered to different pitches depending on the key you press?

I've got plenty of experience with waveforms from video editing, but... for Labo, do they need to be physically, 3D-printed out? Couldn't he have printed out a waveform on standard paper and cut it out with scissors? I have no idea what the Labo piano does. Also, does it come with "sheet music" / instructions for playing songs on it? Like, I could look at the screen and play off the notes or something? Or is it 100% like a "free play" sandbox thing with no instructions?

Yup!

No, they don't have to be 3D printed. You can use paper, cardboard, index cards, etc. The guy in the video 3D printed the cards so he could easily get the exact waveforms he wanted. If you go to the Discovery section of the software it will teach you everything the piano does. Actually, it does come with cardboard sheet music. It's just a basic song they use to show you how to use the piano. If you have some basic understating on how to read music and know all the notes on a piano, then you should be able to play it with no problems. 

image.png.e7a8cedfea4cceb3133dad9d0a3a3bac.png

No, it doesn't teach you how to play any songs. Though, if you press the play/pause button in the basic play mode, it will auto play some simple songs, which does show what keys are being pressed. The piano is pretty much free play and they expect you to have a basic knowledge of how to play the piano (Ex: knowing all the notes). I can only play piano one-handed and that's only, because as a percussionist, they made us learn mallet (xylophone, marimba, vibraphone, etc.) in band in middle/high school (was also in marching band). If you want to see a quick video of me messing around on the Toy-Con Piano, see the link to my other thread in the OP. If you want to get a basic overview of what all the Toy-Con Piano can do, check out the video below @ 4:52.

Edited by alienboyva