Introductions thread.

Sheri

Hi folks. Long time, no see. Longer than I realized actually; it looks like I was away for the entirety of the pandemic...insert some cliche about time being a blur for the last 3 years. I'm glad this little haven is still around, and I'll do my best to check in a bit more frequently (granted, that's a very low bar at the moment).

Earlier today, someone asked me "what is Yumil1988," and I had to explain that it was a very old screen name that I still reference because some folks still know me by it, and that got me thinking about you all. lvhappy;

I'm doing quite well these days. I'm still doing all of my fun video game fan site stuff (it's been more than 20 years for me now!). Spending so much time at home in 2020 and 2021 gave me a lot of web development time, so I took on additional roles and launched a whole new site for one of my favorite games.

I hope you all are also doing well!

I went ahead and swapped my display name over to the one you all will know instead of my modern one.

20 hours ago, Yumil1988 said:

Hi folks. Long time, no see. Longer than I realized actually; it looks like I was away for the entirety of the pandemic...insert some cliche about time being a blur for the last 3 years. I'm glad this little haven is still around, and I'll do my best to check in a bit more frequently (granted, that's a very low bar at the moment).

Earlier today, someone asked me "what is Yumil1988," and I had to explain that it was a very old screen name that I still reference because some folks still know me by it, and that got me thinking about you all. lvhappy;

I'm doing quite well these days. I'm still doing all of my fun video game fan site stuff (it's been more than 20 years for me now!). Spending so much time at home in 2020 and 2021 gave me a lot of web development time, so I took on additional roles and launched a whole new site for one of my favorite games.

I hope you all are also doing well!

I went ahead and swapped my display name over to the one you all will know instead of my modern one.

welcome back! it's great to see new (read: old) names popping up here again. i was the most active i've ever been here during lockdowns for probably obvious reasons y;

i love love love finding niche fansites that are still up and running. even though i usually only lurked , it's a very nostalgic and sorely missed part of the internet for me.

is the ogre battle the new one?

Edited by April
4 hours ago, April said:

welcome back! it's great to see new (read: old) names popping up here again. i was the most active i've ever been here during lockdowns for probably obvious reasons y;

i love love love finding niche fansites that are still up and running. even though i usually only lurked , it's a very nostalgic and sorely missed part of the internet for me.

is the ogre battle the new one?

Yup! Ogre Battle 64 is one of my favorite games of all time, and I had wanted to build a website for it since the mid-2000s and just never got anything published despite starting it multiple times. Lockdown finally gave me the time and inspiration to make it happen, and it has been far more successful than I ever imagined.

I also really miss fan sites. I keep track of all of the Zelda websites that are still active and still online, and I hunt down archived versions of all the others I can find. Separately, I'm always pleased when I encounter a fan site when I'm hunting for guides. I recently discovered a Golden Sun site that is still online while searching for a map. Hopefully, someday, folks are more inspired to make little websites about the things they love again. The Web is better when we're all making cool stuff in our own spaces instead of consolidating everything into a few huge social media platforms.

20 hours ago, Yumil1988 said:

Yup! Ogre Battle 64 is one of my favorite games of all time, and I had wanted to build a website for it since the mid-2000s and just never got anything published despite starting it multiple times. Lockdown finally gave me the time and inspiration to make it happen, and it has been far more successful than I ever imagined.

I also really miss fan sites. I keep track of all of the Zelda websites that are still active and still online, and I hunt down archived versions of all the others I can find. Separately, I'm always pleased when I encounter a fan site when I'm hunting for guides. I recently discovered a Golden Sun site that is still online while searching for a map. Hopefully, someday, folks are more inspired to make little websites about the things they love again. The Web is better when we're all making cool stuff in our own spaces instead of consolidating everything into a few huge social media platforms.

http://www.dkc-atlas.com/ is the only one i contributed to a bit like a decade back, when i still was doing speedruns of the first dkc game.
a very ambitious project that never really got finished, but the forums might still have some activity :v
the coolest thing about it are the interactive maps for every level that show all the enemies and objects, and each individual group can be toggled on and off

one of my only favorite youtuber also made a very cute video about their experience growing with game (and anime) fansites. it might be worth checkin out if you like watchin youtubers ramble abt nostalgic stuff with vgm playing y; but even if you don't, i think the comments are a treasure trove of ppl talking about various fansites that may or may not still be up c:

oh, also i saw that you followed my stream. thanks v: i haven't been active in ages, but i turn it on every now and then

Edited by April