Google officially drops "Stadia" their new gaming platform

It's definitely a very interesting concept. I'd like to see what game developers got on board with this and if we see any of the big 3's first party titles pop up, as well as what/how pricing works for games. I'd definitely need an upgrade to my internet in order join in on this. I can see it taking off in a couple years.

I'm not really a fan of game streaming services, since you need a pretty decent internet connection to use them. It's cool that they're doing this via Chrome which is on everything, but when using the service on the go (via tablet, phone, etc.), a decent enough internet connection isn't always easy to come by.  I like how they are integrating YouTube streaming in to the service and how they are supporting all major controllers from the current gen console manufactures. It's nice to be able to hop right in without needing to buy a special controller.

This service looks to be doing some cool things, but until the internet infrastructure is better in places like the U.S., where everyone can easily have access to a decent enough internet connection to use the service without any issues, I don't see game streaming services really taking off. It's going to be interesting to see how Microsoft steps up to plate with their xCloud service.

Here's the full keynote for anyone that missed it...

Edited by alienboyva

Hmm, this most likely is the future of gaming in the next 10-15 years because the bandwidth in NA can not support kinda streaming they are suggesting.

The only curious thing I care about is what sort of game will be coming to this platform. That is what going determine this a flop and I don't think this will be it will be slow start with steaming games. I like that you can use this with any Google Chrome product and even the freaking Chrome browser and Youtube itself. (they have to explain that more to me, I don't get how that works, is it similar to Twitch plays games or something?)

But other than this is a wait and see for me. I like the controller tho. That's another great start too.

I don't think this platform is made to be like the Switch even tho device which this functions are portable, strange.

That's what we have Switch even tho for online play portable it is ridiculous. Outside of that portable play on the switch local multiplayer or single is where it is at.

I don't see why any would want to play these games on the go, despite the portable reach of this platform. Streaming and on the go is not a thing that is feasible currently.

Streaming to game on my internet currently is just not going to be an enjoyable experience with the lack of stability on my end. I think this may be a good investment for those with much better connections and I do think this could be the future of gaming. Personally though, I'm going to live in the past with regards to gaming. Owning games physically has always felt right and most of the games I really enjoy released at least over a decade ago. I think in a generation or two, my gaming will be exclusive to the older generation systems.

• Chrom featured this topic