Sign in to follow this  
Doc Brown

Google has a new app for games that will put ads in game

Google released a new tool on Wednesday in Google AdMob, its mobile app monetization arm, that allows game makers to segment players, based on their likelihood of ever making an in-app purchase. Plenty of games, including Fortnite, are free, but rely on gamers to spend a few dollars on upgrades or gear.

With less than 4% of players making in-app purchases, that leaves developers turning to ads to generate revenue, according to a blog post from Sissie Hsiao, Google’s vice president of product for mobile app advertising.

“One way to increase overall revenue is through ads,” she said. “However, some developers worry that ads might hurt in-app purchase revenue by disrupting gameplay for players who do spend. What if you could just show ads to the players who aren’t going to spend in your app?”

Source:  http://fortune.com/2019/03/13/google-games-apps-advertising-fortnite/

Not thrilled by this, but not surprised by it either.

Edited by Doc Brown

1 hour ago, Pichi said:

it says mobile games, though, doesn't it?
i don't play many, but i thought basically all of them have ads anyway

Yea, I'm a bit concerned about Pokemon Go and Fire Emblem Heroes.

Some do, like Microsoft ones. It's why I don't have them on my PC. They're too distracting.

This is potentially terrible, getting interrupted with ads is especially annoying. The only way I can see this work is if you watch an ad, then can you earn premium goods or short-term benefits. I'm surprised that out of all the mobile games I've played, past and current, I can only recall BanG Dream!: Girls Band Party being the only one that does that by giving you a couple of premium currency, albeit optionally. Crush Crush (an idle game) allows 30-minute timeskip.

Though wait, this kind of ad crap happens all the time. What's Google doing differently? Is it all the back end stuff?

Edited by avalonknight

4 minutes ago, avalonknight said:

This is potentially terrible, getting interrupted with ads is especially annoying. The only way I can see this work is if you watch an ad, then can you earn premium goods or short-term benefits. I'm surprised that out of all the mobile games I've played, past and current, I can only recall BanG Dream!: Girls Band Party being the only one that does that by giving you a couple of premium currency, albeit optionally. Crush Crush (an idle game) allows 30-minute timeskip.

Though wait, this kind of ad crap happens all the time. What's Google doing differently? Is it all the back end stuff?

I'm wondering about it as well. It looks like they're opening it up more for games to add it into them.