Capcom and test games

It started wtih Ultra Street Fighter II...

Then it continued with Monster Hunter XX...

Now, Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen is up to be tested and if it does well Capcom "might" explore the potential for DMCV on the system.

Now, Capcom's Switch support has actually not been too bad with some of the ports and remasters they've done, but the whole test game situation is just not a good look especially when it has been relegated to a few times thus far. Either you plan to bring the game to Switch or you don't, but holding that carrot over everyone is becoming tiring.

Edited by Kezay
8 hours ago, avalonknight said:

Eh, the problem is that DMC5 is an RE Engine game, and so far, the only Switch game using that engine turned out to only work via cloud streaming. It looks like Capcom is more content with giving the Switch smaller games and ports

And the thing is I totally get that, but if this is the case then why would they even entertain the idea of DMCV on Switch going so far as to say they would consider it if Dragon's Dogma does well? Early on in the Switch's lifespan it was reported that Capcom came to Nintendo with a request to increase the RAM on Switch because of the RE Engine and Nintendo obliged.

I'm gonna be honest I never played DMC game in life but besides that this wait and see approach is dumb and the only falling for are ones who are desperate and don't know any better. And really shame on anyone thinking otherwise, like that's not how you do business.

It's bad enough that yes we're getting the Capcom support but they can shell out a few bucks to get compilation on a single cart. Like the MegaMan collection, I can sort of understand the for RE collection size wise, not price wise. That's stupid. Capcom is not completely off the hook but know me I'll buy RE4 again, dammit.

• Chrom featured this topic

The only DMC I played was DMC2 at a friends YEARS ago and then I got DMC4 when the 360.  That was it.  There's at least two interviews though where the producer of the game has kicked around the idea of getting the series to Nintendo platforms somehow.  One was in reference to a question about Dante being in Smash and his response was that the character had to have appeared on the platform in some fashion already and mulled the idea around then. (granted, technically Dante was already there thanks to Project X Zone)  The other time I think was in reference to actually doing a compilation of past titles for Switch as an idea.

Aside from that though, the whole test games thing just needs to stop.  I can totally understand wanting to have a feel for the kinds of titles that might sell comfortably for that market but at least be sensible with it.

On 3/9/2019 at 12:11 PM, Kezay said:

And the thing is I totally get that, but if this is the case then why would they even entertain the idea of DMCV on Switch going so far as to say they would consider it if Dragon's Dogma does well? Early on in the Switch's lifespan it was reported that Capcom came to Nintendo with a request to increase the RAM on Switch because of the RE Engine and Nintendo obliged.

Then the next question that should be asked is, where are the results of the RE Engine running on the Switch natively, will the Switch just get Cloud games in that case? Aside from arcade and compilation (MM/MMX Legacy and SF Anniversary) ports, all of Capcom's Switch games, including Megaman 11, are MT Framework 2.x titles, none of them were its successor.

I very much agree with that, but as far as I know there hasn't been much said on that front and nothing shown but RE7 Cloud Version. If that's all that can be expected from the RE Engine then I wonder if something with the engine changed along the way where there was nothing more that could be done after Switch specs were made final.  It's pretty much speculation more or less at this point.  But even so, I'd expect those at Capcom to have some idea of what all of that entails which brings the question of why even talk about DMCV as a prospective Switch title.