Would it be possible to salvage and bring over games from WiiWare?

I'm curious if it would even be possible for some devs out there to try to remake or at least port over some of the titles that were on the Wii Shop Channel.  Despite being loaded with quite a bit of junk there was a respectable number of gems that came through on the Wii despite the baby steps that were being taken with it having an online storefront.  In particular, it's probably games like the Rebirth series from Konami that I'd like the most since I didn't get around to playing those but there are others like Blaster Master Overdrive, FF:CC My Life as King/A Dark Lord, Art Style series, the original series of Bit.Trip games, Lost Winds and many others.

Granted, this is just the risk taken with digital storefronts as they'll shut down in due time but if possible there just seems to be a good opportunity to reintroduce some of those titles thanks to how ubiquitous digital storefronts are now on every gaming platform.

It's criminal that there is now no legal way to play the original Sin & Punishment unless you bought it on Wiiware, especially considering how unintuitive the control scheme is on a Classic Controller. It would work so well with gyro aiming. 

5 hours ago, Laclipsey said:

It's criminal that there is now no legal way to play the original Sin & Punishment unless you bought it on Wiiware, especially considering how unintuitive the control scheme is on a Classic Controller. It would work so well with gyro aiming. 

S&P is still on the Wii U eShop.

I wouldn’t mind this - not many titles come to mind since it’s been quite awhile since I’ve browsed it

The good ones at least - I think we can do without the mediocre or trash shovelware titles, tbh

I honestly can’t remember what I have on the Wii outside of Fluidity... I think that’s what it was called?

That at would be nice to bring over.. I don’t think I ever finished it anyway, so...

Though I don’t think I actually ended up buying too many things from the Wii Shop Channel, so I doubt I have that much anyway 

On 3/3/2019 at 1:53 AM, Eliwood8 said:

I imagine some titles would need a bit of an overhaul, either for SD graphics or focus on Wiimote controls, but it would be good to see some of the Wiiware exclusives moved to another platform.

Most likely that would be a big barrier as well depending on the game.  That and a lot of the development tools that today's indies have sort of gravitated toward might make porting some of those games to newer platforms a lot harder too.

On 3/3/2019 at 3:49 PM, Chrom said:

LostWinds 1 and 2 actually got iOS and PC releases a few years ago so the idea isn't unheard of. It's really just up to the developer or publisher to make it happen, which unfortunately isn't that often.

It's a shame too because many of the developers behind a lot of those titles are still around so it's not even a case of them closing up shop.  But at the same time there are many who no longer are in business or have since moved on from their humble beginnings.