Pokemon Direct - 02.27.2019 - 6:00AM PT / 9:00AM AT

5 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

So if there was a 3rd version of this game, would its name be Lance?

And then feature Lance from the indigo league and he's the champion of this game, and he is originally from Galar.

This has been making the rounds....

eo9mpHg.jpg

...But yeah, I don't think they'd actually go with gun.

If the world really does reflect the world map then I'm pretty excited to start exploring it.  Blowing up the map and poring over the different details shows some interesting things they're doing with the world and hopefully there's a lot of opportunity to explore considering how huge some of the environments seem to be like that huge snow region.  Also hoping most of that surrounding water isn't just world boundary and that there are a lot of hidden things throughout than just the sprinkling of islands that can be seen.

Kalos 2.0, here we come.

I think what disappoints me the most so far is the map. It looks really linear, and seems to repeat the mistake of the past few regions of having really small routes. Game Freak really needs to ease off on guiding players and letting them explore instead.

I can't say I'm even moderately excited. Another year, another entry in the Pokemon series. I'll buy it day one, but I'm anticipating the game will repeat the mistakes of gen VI and VII.

They weren't lying when they said the 2019 Pokemon entries would follow right from the previous handheld entries. Sword & Shield look significantly better than S/M, but I was hoping that they were going to move on to a different style. Let's Go innovated on the style more following the previous generation, and I think the Let's Go games look overall better right now. It seems like so much detail is being put into how the region looks that they're sacrificing on the Pokemon aspect of the game. The biggest let down is going back to random encounters instead of seeing Pokemon in the wild. The experience is much more personal and convenient when I can seek out the Pokemon I want. I'm hoping that the method hunting from Let's Go at least gets carried over, because if shiny hunting methods are also going to be regressed I am not sure if I'll even bother with this new generation. I'm still interested to learn more about Sword & Shield, but I'm also hoping more now that a Let's Go take on the Johto region is in the works for next year.

Edited by IU
7 minutes ago, Ares said:

What feature did they remove?

Pokemon following you in the overworld from LGPE.

I’m guessing that the Soccer Stadium will be the venue for retarded minigames to earn “points” to redeem fir items, but for once I’ll give Game Freak the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by Tyranogre
39 minutes ago, IU said:

They weren't lying when they said the 2019 Pokemon entries would follow right from the previous handheld entries. Sword & Shield look significantly better than S/M, but I was hoping that they were going to move on to a different style. Let's Go innovated on the style more following the previous generation, and I think the Let's Go games look overall better right now. It seems like so much detail is being put into how the region looks that they're sacrificing on the Pokemon aspect of the game. The biggest let down is going back to random encounters instead of seeing Pokemon in the wild. The experience is much more personal and convenient when I can seek out the Pokemon I want. I'm hoping that the method hunting from Let's Go at least gets carried over, because if shiny hunting methods are also going to be regressed I am not sure if I'll even bother with this new generation. I'm still interested to learn more about Sword & Shield, but I'm also hoping more now that a Let's Go take on the Johto region is in the works for next year.

Exactly. My only disappointments with Let's Go are the trading, which is a hassle and Go Park. Other than that, it's very immersive.

So I want to be very excited, but at this point, I'm just like another entry. 

It seems like each generation has been minor tweaks from the previous generation, and this is the case here.

That's not to say that this region and the art styles isn't great, it is great, it's beautiful, one of the high lights of this so far. It just feels like they took the 3DS engine and polished it up to match the Switch. We have seen much better graphics from the Switch. Graphics won't make the game obviously, but I guess I was just expecting much more. 

I'm glad battles are back, but yeah like majority of people, a lot are upset that random encounters are back, and that Pokemon don't appear in the open world/follow you. Unless they are saving that reveal for another time. I think the point they really wanted to make is that oh your Pokemon can attack wild Pokemon again. 

Something about the Galar region map I do like. Can't really point it out but maybe it's just the design. But with that being said though. I am cautious like a lot of you being a one path linear adventure. It doesn't need to be BotW, but there should be at this point different paths trainers can choose to see where they go. Maybe there will be more side quests. 

Also agree with @Destiny Hero, this doesn't need to be BotW, but I wish we would get at least a fully rotational camera for the trainer to see things. That was one thing I was really excited for and one thing I was expecting with the jump to the Switch. But since it seems they took the 3DS engine over to the Switch, they haven't incorporated it yet, at least with what was shown. Maybe I'm wrong. 

I'm fine with gym battles returning. The trails were cool but I'm glad they will stick to Sun/Moon. Make those games more distinct. Maybe something will come up with the football stadium. 

Never saw Sword and Shield for names but I'll take them. I'll also take the starter Pokemon. I mean at this point, they are nothing special, maybe their final forms will be cool, but I just hope the bunny doesn't turn into yet another fighting type.

I know I shouldn't be nagging and complaining about every little thing, but I do feel like the series is behind a bit, especially when we've seen other series take more advanced steps. This game will be a day one purchase regardless. I am just letting out how I feel right now. There is still so much to be revealed, they only showed a few minutes. I just need something more that they haven't showed to get me fully excited for this game. 

@Eliwoodman12 I think the general underwhelming feeling comes from Game Freak being an underwhelming developer. They never utilize the full potential of their systems, and the UI for every game is always a brand new nightmare. Despite each new game bringing in so many improvements, they throw out just as many changes so the series never actually moves forward.

This time the graphics engine isn't bad, but it's certainly not impressive. And Game Freak has no excuse for still using these awful camera angles when the rest of the industry moved on a decade ago.

Considering the absurd profits every Pokemon game makes, Game Freak truly invests the bare minimum in their products.

43 minutes ago, Destiny Hero said:

@Eliwoodman12 I think the general underwhelming feeling comes from Game Freak being an underwhelming developer. They never utilize the full potential of their systems, and the UI for every game is always a brand new nightmare. Despite each new game bringing in so many improvements, they throw out just as many changes so the series never actually moves forward.

This time the graphics engine isn't bad, but it's certainly not impressive. And Game Freak has no excuse for still using these awful camera angles when the rest of the industry moved on a decade ago.

Considering the absurd profits every Pokemon game makes, Game Freak truly invests the bare minimum in their products.

I agree but here’s the sad truth: money talks. They do this because they can get away with it. They have no ambition because they don’t feel they need it.

On a more uplifting note, I am looking forward to the Nessie legendary reveal. :P 

30 minutes ago, DranSeasona said:

I agree but here’s the sad truth: money talks. They do this because they can get away with it. They have no ambition because they don’t feel they need it.

On a more uplifting note, I am looking forward to the Nessie legendary reveal. :P 

True--it's the same with Pokemon Go. Niantic's literally making billions off of Pokemon Go, yet they've barely expanded their company (if at all), and after two years the game's still a glitch-ridden mess missing tons of basic features.

These companies are very lucky that their fanbase will pretty much keep the IP alive by ourselves.