Pokemon Direct - 02.27.2019 - 6:00AM PT / 9:00AM AT

13 minutes ago, Destiny Hero said:

Since Gen 5 I've always had a bunch of unevolved Pokemon on my team, because I didn't like their evolved forms. Sun/Moon was especially tough with Rowlet, Rockruff, Herdier, and Misdreavus.

Will Gen 8 be the time I finally run through with 6 of the same Pokemon???

Rowlet's adorable, but I actually really like Decidueye. I have to agree with you on the others though. Misdreavous in particlar bothers me, since I'm really not a fan of giving Pokemon evolutions in later games. But on the plus side, it does make her eligible for the little cup.

Of course, if there is a Corgi pokemon. It goes without saying that once you get to the daycare you're adventure with have to be put on hold while you breed them indefinitely.

It's the law.

Edited by Marxforever

I gotta say...I really like the look of this game.  It's nice to see that your trainer looks more mature now. As someone who grew up playing Gen I when it launched, I was getting tired of how your trainer always had to be some 10yo kid, especially, after putting so much time into PKMN GO. I'm not sure I really care for the names of the games, but the new starters a really cute, especially Grookey.....JUST LOOK AT HIM!! ^_^

09Q3Ozn.png

I know we don't have full details yet, but I'm really hoping this becomes the BotW of PKMN games, if you know what I mean. Though, I doubt it'd be an open world game. :(  

Edited by alienboyva
19 minutes ago, Marxforever said:

Rowlet's adorable, but I actually really like Decidueye. I have to agree with you on the others though. Misdreavous in particlar bothers me, since I'm really not a fan of giving Pokemon evolutions in later games. But on the plus side, it does make her eligible for the little cup.

Of course, if there is a Corgi pokemon. It goes without saying that once you get to the daycare you're adventure with have to be put on hold while you breed them indefinitely.

It's the law.

Actually, the Misdreavus is a really cute story. Sun and Moon released in the middle of a show I was in, and a bunch of us would play the game backstage. One girl (the most positive bunch of energy I've ever witnessed) wanted me to teach her how to catch Pokemon, because her boyfriend wouldn't let her play Pokemon Go (and probably waste all of his Pokeballs). She caught a Misdreavus and made me promise to use it. I kept it on my team for a while, just to keep her happy. But during the trial against Salazzle, Beauty became my last Pokemon standing in a 2v1 that was narrowly won. Though it wasn't until after the first Lusamine fight that I finally convinced her to let me evolve it.

3 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

I gotta say...I really like the look of this game.  It's nice to see that your trainer looks more mature now. As someone who grew up playing Gen I when it launched, I was getting tired of how your trainer always had to be some 10yo kid, especially, after putting so much time into PKMN GO. I'm not sure I really care for the names of the games, but the new starters a really cute, especially Grookey.....JUST LOOK AT HIM!! ^_^

09Q3Ozn.png

I know we don't have full details yet, but I'm really hoping this becomes the BotW of PKMN games, if you know what I mean. Though, I doubt it'd be an open world. :( 

I can answer you with what I've read from developer interviews.

Gens 5 and 7 were more mature because they were reboots trying to appeal to the older fans. Gen 6 was kiddy because it was a return down from BW. Now that we have the Let's Go series for younger and casual fans, the mainline games can afford to be more mature, which we're already seeing from the games being named after weapons.

As for Sword/Shield being like BOTW... nope. Masuda was already asked about whether BOTW's unparalleled influence will extend to the Pokemon series, and he didn't see a reason for it or even a way to implement it. Remember, part of the reason why BOTW's formula works so well is because there's no character leveling.

22 minutes ago, Destiny Hero said:

I can answer you with what I've read from developer interviews.

Gens 5 and 7 were more mature because they were reboots trying to appeal to the older fans. Gen 6 was kiddy because it was a return down from BW. Now that we have the Let's Go series for younger and casual fans, the mainline games can afford to be more mature, which we're already seeing from the games being named after weapons.

As for Sword/Shield being like BOTW... nope. Masuda was already asked about whether BOTW's unparalleled influence will extend to the Pokemon series, and he didn't see a reason for it or even a way to implement it. Remember, part of the reason why BOTW's formula works so well is because there's no character leveling.

That's what I feel like the series really needed... to have a more mature feel, especially since it's coming to the Switch, which is marketed to the older crowd. As some one who as gown up with PKMN since Gen I, feel like the series hasn't gown up along with me. It just started feeling really kiddie with some of the designs of the new PKMN being added,  the art style, your trainer always being a kid, etc. One of the reasons I like PKMN GO is some much is, because of how it feels like a game made for fans who have grown up with the series.

That makes since, I guess. Though, it still would be be cool to have an open world PKMN game. :) 

Edited by alienboyva
19 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

The graphics don't look bad but they do look underwhelming for a Switch version.  Maybe seeing them in a different manner would make me think they are nicer than they give off.

The names are kind of cool.

They didn't offer enough information to really make any opinions otherwise.

Here's to hoping. I'm more excited about MK 11 at this point. I just hope that this game gives us enough content to justify the higher price point.

54 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

The graphics don't look bad but they do look underwhelming for a Switch version.  Maybe seeing them in a different manner would make me think they are nicer than they give off.

The names are kind of cool.

They didn't offer enough information to really make any opinions otherwise.

I keep hearing this, but maybe I'm just blinded by giddiness--the art direction is fantastic and perfectly nails the feeling of the English countryside and the city. Well, except for the mountainous vistas, vivid grass, and bright skies. But the architecture's there.

But even I can't deny that these visuals are going to get really stale, really fast when Game Freak sticks us to their trademark janky camera angles that make backtracking impossible.

1 hour ago, Destiny Hero said:

I keep hearing this, but maybe I'm just blinded by giddiness--the art direction is fantastic and perfectly nails the feeling of the English countryside and the city. Well, except for the mountainous vistas, vivid grass, and bright skies. But the architecture's there.

But even I can't deny that these visuals are going to get really stale, really fast when Game Freak sticks us to their trademark janky camera angles that make backtracking impossible.

I concur, I like the art direction. I can see this is another modified engine of gen 6/7 but I would like to see more umph on those characters models. They almost seem like there's no difference with these and the ones in gen 7.

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

You're not alone. I like Let's Go's graphics better.

Now, I didn't like Let's Go graphics at first, but they grew on me. Also, because this isn't next gen game and the first Pokemon gym region game, I expected more from the graphics. In the end I gave it pass because it's not next gen.

Now this game is the next gen I expect to see better display of visual fidelity, so this might be better with time but imho, I really expect marginal changes to be made. I'm sure this game will have some hook that will garner interest but I want to see the visuals match up to gameplay. I don't see why this console premier game doesn't aim higher for that kind of balance in pedigree.

14 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

I concur, I like the art direction. I can see this is another modified engine of gen 6/7 but I would like to see more umph on those characters models. They almost seem like there's no difference with these and the ones in gen 7.

Now, I didn't like Let's Go graphics at first, but they grew on me. Also, because this isn't next gen game and the first Pokemon gym region game, I expected more from the graphics. In the end I gave it pass because it's not next gen.

Now this game is the next gen I expect to see better display of visual fidelity, so this might be better with time but imho, I really expect marginal changes to be made. I'm sure this game will have some hook that will garner interest but I want to see the visuals match up to gameplay. I don't see why this console premier game doesn't aim higher for that kind of balance in pedigree.

Yea I was that way at first. Doubting on that one. It's ok so far, but only that. Agreed. Why not? Why settle? That's kind of what I was thinking they were doing in part.

Really looking forward to this gen, though it seems clear they're not doing much as far as innovation goes this time around. I enjoyed the trailers, and Scorbunny already has my heart. <3 The other two are nice too. The other two are nice too. I've seen tons of cute starter fan art on Twitter, and I'm enjoying that, as always. :P

However, I have to say, the direct itself was really lacking. Everyone was so low energy and sombre, even the translator sounded bored. This was an exciting reveal, but you couldn't tell it by the direct itself. Hope they step up their game next time.

Edited by The Guardian Mew
35 minutes ago, The Guardian Mew said:

Really looking forward to this gen, though it seems clear they're not doing much as far as innovation goes this time around. I enjoyed the trailers, and Scorbunny already has my heart. <3 The other two are nice too. I've seen tons of fan art on Twitter, and I'm enjoying that, as always. :P

However, I have to say, the direct itself was really lacking. Everyone was so low energy and sombre, even the translator sounded bored. This was an exciting reveal, but you couldn't tell it by the direct itself. Hope they step up their game next time.

Yea I was wondering about that. That didn't help to sell it. I hope they do as well.

7 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

Well there's a wolf motif to the logos. Perhaps wolves? Similar to some fantastical version seen on family crests?

Fair point. Maybe a wolf and a griffin or unicorn, or something that appears on British crests?

Ooh imagine if a feature is you can design your own stylized crest! :o That would be fun... And share it as your personal identifier in online mode!

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Here's to hoping. I'm more excited about MK 11 at this point. I just hope that this game gives us enough content to justify the higher price point.

Didn’t think I’d find someone else here who felt that way, but same here. Pokemon Sword or Shield I’ll just wait to get when I don’t have any other games coming in the near future like when I got Sun/Moon and Ultra S/M. Nowadays Pokemon’s just kinda there, something I rarely get hyped for anymore but still enjoy to some level whenever I get around to it. I guess it’s fatigue in part but GameFreak generally doesn’t impress me that much anymore (much as I liked the new spin with Sun/Moon), tho I hope there’s indeed enough content with this new gen to justify the higher price. 

The starters are okay on first impression, but as usual need to wait till we see their evolutions to get a final verdict.

17 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

Didn’t think I’d find someone else here who felt that way, but same here. Pokemon Sword or Shield I’ll just wait to get when I don’t have any other games coming in the near future like when I got Sun/Moon and Ultra S/M. Nowadays Pokemon’s just kinda there, something I rarely get hyped for anymore but still enjoy to some level whenever I get around to it. I guess it’s fatigue in part but GameFreak generally doesn’t impress me that much anymore (much as I liked the new spin with Sun/Moon), tho I hope there’s indeed enough content with this new gen to justify the higher price. 

The starters are okay on first impression, but as usual need to wait till we see their evolutions to get a final verdict.

Yep. I'm planning on getting it when it comes out, but it'll take me more to get there. Could be. I felt a bit that way with Let's Go, but at least that game grew on me. Word. That's the bottom line with me too. If they aren't able to do that, then I'll try to get it on sale or for a bit cheaper.