Super Mario Maker 2 / NEW UPDATE INCOMING 4/22 NOW LIVE

22 minutes ago, IU said:

I have to look at the 10s this game is getting differently after seeing the lag a streamer had to deal with in the versus mode. I'm still very excited for Super Mario Maker 2, and will get the game if I have the funds for it, but Nintendo's inability to execute well under a paid service makes the game lesser than what it could otherwise have been. I think the game will overall still be a great time, probably track better than the original in the long run; however, I can see it having to go through a fair amount of negative feedback early on.  

Distance and people's internet could have caused an issue.

The first game had a limit of 100 (the article you linked to says as much) though you started out at 10 and unlocked more when you earned medals.

I don't think I'll reach that limit at all either but it does seem a little low. Also seems like something that could easily be updated/expanded/unlocked later.

10 minutes ago, Eliwood8 said:

The first game had a limit of 100 (the article you linked to says as much) though you started out at 10 and unlocked more when you earned medals.

I don't think I'll reach that limit at all either but it does seem a little low. Also seems like something that could easily be updated/expanded/unlocked later.

Ah.

Yea it does. I wonder if it's to help with stabilizing the server at first? Here's to hoping.

Come to find that NSO banner at the bottom of the bundle version is part of the box art. I thought it was a sticker or something. The box art doesn’t look as good as the regular version without it, IMO. Oh well.

PIC:

Spoiler

1CCC989A-8947-4F98-AF0E-08AFDD74F362.thumb.jpeg.7e7a47756f65934ba4fcd0e82540ab44.jpeg

Even though I already have NSO, I decided to get the NSO bundle, since I can get a 1-year membership for $10. I figured might as well get it now with SMM2 and save $10 on next year’s membership. Plus, my membership runs out in September anyway.

Edited by alienboyva

Questions:

1. Is there any way to see the criteria for unlocking mii outfits?

2. Is there really no way to unlike a course? I’ll like one by accident and want to remove it from my liked courses?

Edit:

3. Is there any way to see your friend’s courses or do you have to search for one of theirs and then follow them? I remember on the Wii U you had to do this. I really hope they added a friends list this time around. If not, I hope they will add one when they let us play online with friends. 

Edited by alienboyva

Just passed over 50% of Story Mode.

Seesaw Temple or whatever.... that solution... with the dry bones.... felt cheap and cool simultaneously... I sat there forever thinking why can't I make this jump.

*Love that music though....

I hated the save the toad stage with the bounce rings... I hate those in general.

I have loved the ghost house stuff so far.

That Death Mushroom stage.... man....  I like what the 'shroom can do, but was in annoying before figuring out how to cheat him.

In essence, so far, I think this mode does really open up your mind to what you can do in the game with the tools at your disposal.

Taking jobs from all the characters is cool, not just the main Toad.

*I don't like he keeps calling you Big Red though...

Is there any way to make a curved track for the moving platform like in SMM1? I can’t for the life of me figure out how to do it in SMM2.

Also, how do it get the alt SFX that you could get in SMM1 by shaking a sound effect?

20190630053650.jpg

Edited by alienboyva

I think I've finally finished making my first level in SMM2 (I forgot how involved making a level is). Though, It's going to need a bit more playtesting before uploading. I did a remaster of my alien level from SMM on WIi U. I had originally made that for a contest we had back on NS2, back when the game launched, which I was one of the judges. I wanted to go back and fix/change some things with it, but never did, since it was already uploaded and quite a bit of people had already played it. After uploading it on WIi U, I noticed people where getting a bit confused on parts they really should't have. ...Because of this it had a low clear percentage and the game dubbed it as an expert level, when it's actually pretty easy. :P  Also, not to mention, I got basically the same feedback from some of the other judges in that contest as a did't from uploading my level, in regards to being a bit confused.

Hopefully all of the fixes/changes I made will make this level more enjoyable for people. Then 2nd part in the sub-world got completely changed. Kudos for anyone you can figure what it's supposed to be. It's kinda obvious, but IDK if it's that obvious. Anyway, I'll post this in the level thread when I uploaded after doing some more playtesting. 

Edited by alienboyva

I'm looking forward to eventually being able to find a good selection of multiplayer-specific levels, since the current selection is just kind of chaotic. I'd especially love to see serious co-op level designs, like the one for the E3 Invitational that really requires players to coordinate movements/timing.

15 minutes ago, IU said:

I'm not loving the Switch for handheld play of this game at least for something intensive like a speed run. The placement of the right analog stick under the Y and B buttons is awkward. 

I haven't hand much of an issue with the R stick and Y/B buttons in handheld mode, though I don't use that button cofig. often. I've pretty much been using this for playing levels in SMM2 (mainly tabletop mode)...

8-BitDo GBros adapter + SNES Classic Edition controller

RV3zzZC.png

It's wireless and there's virtually no input lag. Plus, you can also use GCN controllers with it.

Edited by alienboyva

Just got a little over 90% and my next to do list is stained glass.

Some levels I have ran into have caused me to skip, especially that descending poison one....  my timing is too bad to ride the sides while waiting for the lava to drop and avoiding hazards.... I got so ticked I had to just move on.

Also, a Castle level where once I got go to the 2nd half and the blue skeleton transports showed up, they were moving to fast for me to keep up with them AND avoid the lava.

And one bouncy ring stage just got me so annoyed with jump detection I had to say f* it and move on.

Autoscroll level with clear pipes and doing lots of slides got super annoying....  I think if the scroll was just one level slower I'd be ok.

Anyway, impressions so far:

Music is GREAT.  Some of the tunes are so cool to listen to.

My few forays into the Koopa Kar didn't go well.  Maybe it was the level design or my reaction times--I just wasn't feeling it.

**I bet this Car ends up as MK8 DLC or a future MK game car.

Some of the puzzle solving levels have been great.

With all the clear conditions you CAN do, why CAN'T you also get carry stones or rescue Toads?

I kind of like the holistic map screen for Story Mode and the different areas and characters you can interact with for jobs.

100% Story Mode a few hours ago, with about 20+ levels left to beat.

Started screwing around and ...found course bot, superball flower, and started paying undo dog for jokes.  Undo be cracking some punchlines for sure lol.  How many jokes does he tell?  Also, how much decorating does toadette want to add?

Did some extras and got Toadette to do some more on the grounds.

A few oddities stand out to me at the moment with the game....

If Bowser and Bowser Jr., why no Koopalings?

Why aren't the carry a stone and rescue a Toad a clear condition?

The no jump is very strict because falling counts as jumping.  Simple miscues can derail your progress.

I think I'm going to actually get to creating stuff by the end of the week as I only have a few levels left to do in Story Mode.