Super Mario Maker 2 / NEW UPDATE INCOMING 4/22 NOW LIVE

I think the no online with friends is because there's a ranking system. They don't want people playing with friends and letting someone win every time to tweak the rankings.

I mean, maybe.

But they should add a non-ranked Friends Play

2 hours ago, alienboyva said:

SMM2 won't have online play with friends, nor will it have amiibo support...

Nintendo, why? 😭 Not being able to play online with friends makes absolutely no since, and no amiibo support? ...That was like one of the best parts of SMM on Wii U, even though it was limited to the original SMB theme. Maybe they wanted SMM2 to be straight up 'Super Mario' only?

Oh joy! It's sounding more and more like a game I'll skip or wait to go on sale or get used. Seriously. I bought amiibo for unlocks. Kind of pointless to bother buying anymore. Really. Who's the idiot who decided to have no amiibo, and the random online multiplayer? I'd like to throw a poison mushroom at them. lshifty;  Was looking forward to making a Castlevania level with a Castlevania amiibo. Welp, guess that's one less amiibo to get! Support only in Smash and a few other games isn't enough for me to bother with it.

Edited by Doc Brown

I can understand not wanting to skew the online ranking system, but just have a friends mode that doesn't affect your rank. I give Nintendo a pass on a lot of their silly design choices but how can they still be so behind the times on pretty obvious online features?

Hell, I just remembered that this is exactly what Smash Ultimate does since battle arenas don't affect your Global Smash Power, so would it really be prohibitively difficult to do something similar for SMM2?

Edited by Eliwood8

No online friend play seems utterly stupid.

No Amiibo costumes.

--YES, I loved these from the original and it put that itch for me to get Amiibos for costume unlocks.

--YES, I loved the themed levels to earn new costumes.  I never got all the Expert Mode costumes though.

--YES, I thought they shortchanged us in the original with them only being in the SMB style and none of the others.

--I would think that at least SMB, SMB3, and SMW would be easy to do sprites for as they were all basically along the same lines.

--I could get SMBU and SM3DW being a little to resource intensive because of the model designs.

--I think part of the tradeoffs of this is the doing 4p multi, coop play, ect....

--I am bummed about no new Construction Mario amiibo or ____ tied to the release of this game.

--I think I can live with the lack of costumes if I am getting all this multiplayer action but I do think it shouldn't have been dropped.

I'm really liking what screen real estate I can get for vertical levels.

Some questions that come to my mind are power ups:

Do you get each game's full set?

SMB3: Frog, Hammer Bro, Tanooki?  ...off the top of my head

Some more questions are themes:

Is there more than what has been shown?  Several videos out there seem hint at there is at least one and maybe two more.

The Style(s)?

SMB2 HAS TO GET IN IMO.

Paper Mario.  I have seen that thrown out there in a lot of spots.  I think it could actually work but I don't think it would feel like the Paper Mario series but more an effect to one of the other styles.  I could dig it though.

A GB/GBC theme?  I mean SML 1 and 2....

SMO?  I mean, I could see a lot of things making that actually work but part of that game is Cappy captures.  How would that even work right in a SMO scenario?

SMG series seems interesting if you start getting into Bee, Rock, Spring, and ____ Mario power ups.  I just don't know about asset usage.

15 hours ago, purple_beard said:

No online friend play seems utterly stupid.

No Amiibo costumes.

--YES, I loved these from the original and it put that itch for me to get Amiibos for costume unlocks.

--YES, I loved the themed levels to earn new costumes.  I never got all the Expert Mode costumes though.

--YES, I thought they shortchanged us in the original with them only being in the SMB style and none of the others.

--I would think that at least SMB, SMB3, and SMW would be easy to do sprites for as they were all basically along the same lines.

--I could get SMBU and SM3DW being a little to resource intensive because of the model designs.

--I think part of the tradeoffs of this is the doing 4p multi, coop play, ect....

--I am bummed about no new Construction Mario amiibo or ____ tied to the release of this game.

--I think I can live with the lack of costumes if I am getting all this multiplayer action but I do think it shouldn't have been dropped.

I'm really liking what screen real estate I can get for vertical levels.

Some questions that come to my mind are power ups:

Do you get each game's full set?

SMB3: Frog, Hammer Bro, Tanooki?  ...off the top of my head

Some more questions are themes:

Is there more than what has been shown?  Several videos out there seem hint at there is at least one and maybe two more.

The Style(s)?

SMB2 HAS TO GET IN IMO.

Paper Mario.  I have seen that thrown out there in a lot of spots.  I think it could actually work but I don't think it would feel like the Paper Mario series but more an effect to one of the other styles.  I could dig it though.

A GB/GBC theme?  I mean SML 1 and 2....

SMO?  I mean, I could see a lot of things making that actually work but part of that game is Cappy captures.  How would that even work right in a SMO scenario?

SMG series seems interesting if you start getting into Bee, Rock, Spring, and ____ Mario power ups.  I just don't know about asset usage.

Could be, but honestly, I don't care much about Co-op and 4p multi, as I generally play the game by myself. That said, it's great for anyone else who does that. But I'm just spit balling here, maybe they had to toss it due to so many new assets being in the game itself. That's the only other thing I can think of at this time.

Still not interested in getting this at full price though. 

Just saw this Tweet and it cracked me up. :P 

Edited by Doc Brown

I'm back from my vacay.

Seemed I missed a lot with this game this week. I can see why they did a direct to hide details like no online friends multiplayer, really Nintendo?!? You take 2 steps forward and 1 step back again as usual. We should of knew there was a caveat with Super Mario Bros Online Multiplayer and let's not forget that we are paying for this egregious decision.

Like Nintendo told Gamexplain, for now this is what it is. So we can hope they make non ranked multiplayer friend mode. I don't buy the rank is the reason, just like how Splatoon 2 and LGP/E don't have cloud saves because of cheating. More and more they seem to have BS reason for something that should be there and shouldn't be hard to implement.

In the case of SMM 2 if it wasn't this ranked friend online multiplayer. Is the truth is that they can't implement both modes ranked and non ranked friend mode online?!? Is that the real reason? I cannot see why no reason outside the one Nintendo is stating because of ranked mode. Why I think they can't do both is further by Nintendo response to about for now this is what is too, like they are working on this. I hope but I have my doubts.

Such unfortunate blemish for such a anticipated game, will get but this just sours things a little.

• 2 weeks later...

Just came across some more information about amiibo and SMM 2.

- Nintendo wanted to focus more on new elements in Super Mario Maker 2, rather than amiibo costumes/characters 
- whether or not they come back to amiibo costumes/characters in the future remains to be seen 

Source:   https://gonintendo.com/stories/337403-nintendo-s-bill-trinen-talks-banjo-kazooie-in-smash-zelda-botw2

Edited by Doc Brown

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand I'm like "OK, whatever." and on the other hand I'm like "That's pretty stupid, since the game supports Joy-Con controllers."  I know the touchscreen is the way to go for course creation, but when you have to buy your own stylus (using your finger makes things hard to see)... Yeah, I'm still kinda annoyed that we aren't getting that SMM2 stylus as a pre-order bonus like JPN and EUR. NOA could have at least made it a My Nintendo Reward. -___-   Seriously, this thing really should have been a free pack-in (like with Kid Icarus Uprising and the 3DS stand). I guess I'm going to have to buy one of those 'smart device' styli now.

So, will controllers still work in Maker Mode when playing in Tabletop Mode? .Well, I just hope they fix this in an update, because more options are always better.

Edited by alienboyva
12 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Who would like to be in on a Level Creator/Sharing thread for SMM2?  I think the old one for SMM got lost in the change to Ninfora and I'd be up to OP a new one for SMM and SMM2 if anyone is truly interested.  I doubt this one morphs into that as from that date on out it would be about actual level sharing or whatever....  not more game info.

I'm game. Hope to get the game when I can.