Super Mario Maker 2 / NEW UPDATE INCOMING 4/22 NOW LIVE

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

Creators will have to go out of their way to put extra Master Swords into their courses, because if the player gets hit and loses it while in the middle of trying to solve a puzzle, they could be soft-locked.

Don't some challenge levels make that sore of the point?

Back in the first SMM I made a couple levels that required you to keep a power-up (like a Fire Flower) all the way to the end of the level to get access to the exit.

I was just thinking we were overdue for new SMM2 content since I was playing the game a bit over the holiday weekend.

Those look like some cool additions! Link is especially surprising, and I wonder if he will open the door for more guest characters to be added.

And yeah, requiring the Master Sword power-up really isn't any different from requiring any other power-up. I made a level that requires the cat suit—all I did was include some warp pipes that can continuously produce cat bells in case the player got hit.

I'm feeling that Ninji Speedrun stuff....  and the cool Ninji outfits.

I'm feeling Spike and Pokey for sure.

The Link stuff is cool but damnit..... we need the mystery mushroom to return for all the outfits and what not.

*I am kind of feeling the 4 Swords colors for multiplayer LOL.

Edited by purple_beard

I can't believe we can finally make our own worlds/full Super Mario games and even share them online too.

se2g5Zd.gif

Such a jam-packed update and for free. Other companies would be way too happy to charge you for content like this. I know Nintendo has been on a DLC kick with the Switch and most of their big games on the system have some kind of paid DLC, but it's nice to still see free content updates from Nintendo to keep game fresh and people coming back to them.

My Negatives First:

What is up in the programming of the SM3DW style that allows it to get all of these special things but they can't translate backwards?

"Final Major Update"  ...semantics or not....  more minor updates?  Paid DLC pack update not the same as "... Major Update"?

*This was really popping off in the comments on the Nintendo and GX youtube video posts.

The great power up debate about where is Hammer Brother Suit, Ice Flower, "blue shell" (NSMB/DS), Gold Flower (NSMB2), Mini/Mega mushrooms, Penguin, ect...

*side debate, why can't the new 3DW power ups work backwards?

Get the SMB2 Mushroom's ability set ( they didn't say much about Power Jump and altered jumping characteristics)  but ONLY Phanto as a SMB2 enemy?

My Positives:

The SMB2 Mushroom abilities are INSANE.  And the hype machine went into overdrive when Mario picked up the Bullet Bill out of the air and then tossed it another direction and rode it.  And then the end cap with SMB2 Mario riding Giant Bullet Bill.

The Mecha Koopas were INSANE.  Especially the expansion of their abilities with the two additional variants.

The Koopalings have been way overdue IMO....but the fact all 7 can be on screen at the same time is INSANE.

The World Builder is INSANE and much needed and a long time request since the first game.  What I haven't been able to see confirmed is is that style the only style of the builder?  Is there a SMB, SMB3, SMBU, or SM3DW style... or is it just the SMW style looking level?  What it looked like they tried to say... can every stage you drop in be from ANY style in the World Builder?

The epicness of the 3DW power ups and how they work.....  Bullet Bill looks fun as hell.  Copter Mario looks cool as hell.  Canon Mario looks bad ass.

I am down for Squirrel Mario.

THINK ABOUT THIS:  in a level in the NES style you could have Phanto, Angry Sun, and all 7 Koopalings.

I was gonna say how come there isn't a thread about this news but I forgot your truly PB made SMM 2 thread a while back.

I think this is awesome update but I think this is sad this is the last one. Don't get me wrong I don't think there's much more they can add but to stop this seems premature. I wonder if this decision was made in how the game is being received right now. Now couldn't be a better time to play SMM 2 and drop this update but like all the updates before this one, (and there was not a lot) it feels too little too late to get this game rolling like its predecessor has.

Either way, I'm actually gonna create world so this will hop me back in.