TETRIS 99 - Battle Royale Tetris! | 🏆38th Maximus Cup: 12/14 - 12/18 (SMB: Wonder)

Got up to 26th place today... not too shabby. And I'm up to 25 points now.

Up to 50 points now and my best was 18th place. Would have been higher if it weren't for a damn mosquito. anhero;

Now up to 70 points and my best is up to 13th place. Also ranked up to level 16.

The last few battles were tough. One I didn't move up from the 90's or so. My last one I got up to 18th place. Ended up with 106 points and the Splatoon theme.

Edited by Doc Brown

I only played until I unlocked the Splatoon and the highest I got was 10th. Not bad, as all I wanted was the theme.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

@EH_STEVE You should still have time, as it doesn't end until tonight at 11:59 pm PT. Also, I'm pretty sure the only way to get themes is to unlock them in tourneys.

2 hours ago, TKrazyO said:

Don't you still have time or did it end already?

So I had some leftover footage from that contest in March of two pretty good matches. Here it is!

You did better than you're first video, though you need to be clearing lines and firing of Tetrises more often. Just practice thinking ahead. When you're good enough you will be able to see where your next piece goes before you're given it. This really helps at faster speeds.

You should be playing at least this fast...

Spoiler

Edited by alienboyva
1 hour ago, alienboyva said:

You did better than your first video, though you need to be clearing lines and firing of Tetrises more often. Just practice thinking ahead. When you're good enough you will be able to see where your next piece goes before you're given it. This really helps at faster speeds.

You should be playing at least this fast...

Hide contents
*Tweets*

I think the only thing is, going too fast makes me misplace pieces which screws me over. Especially later on when I'm trying to recover from attacks. I did play until I got the Splatoon theme yesterday so some of the good matches there could show my slight improvements.

• alienboyva changed the title to TETRIS 99 - Battle Royale Tetris! | *Phys. ver. releasing 9/6, includes 1-year NSO sub*
The physical version has been announced for NA...

Looks like when know when we can expect the 2nd DLC pack. :P 

So, this is basically the price of a 1-year NSO  membership + the DLC. Your not saving any money here, so I'll most likely pass. As cool as it would be to have a physical copy, I feel it would be more convenient to have this digitally. Plus, I'm already good with my NSO membership for next year, which I got with SMM2 (I know I can stack up to 3 years, but still). I don't have the DLC, but why would I pay $30 when I can get it for $10?

Hmm...I actually might just consider getting this if I need to re-up my NSO membership again and still don't have the DLC. 

Well so much for this being a cool little NSO bonus. :(  I like I've mentioned before, they should give NSO members the DLC for free. ...That is, if you were a member before they announced the DLC.

Edit: 

I'm just gonna leave this here...

🔗https://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-switch/games/puyo-puyo-tetris/141921

Os6N48m.png?1

Just sayn'... Plus, you get way more content.

Edited by alienboyva
6 hours ago, alienboyva said:
The physical version has been announced for NA...

Looks like when know when we can expect the 2nd DLC pack. :P 

So, this is basically the price of a 1-year NSO  membership + the DLC. Your not saving any money here, so I'll most likely pass. As cool as it would be to have a physical copy, I feel it would be more convenient to have this digitally. Plus, I'm already good with my NSO membership for next year, which I got with SMM2 (I know I can stack up to 3 years, but still). I don't have the DLC, but why would I pay $30 when I can get it for $10?

Hmm...I actually might just consider getting this if I need to re-up my NSO membership again and still don't have the DLC. 

Well so much for this being a cool little NSO bonus. :(  I like I've mentioned before, they should give NSO members the DLC for free. ...That is, if you were a member before they announced the DLC.

Edit: 

I'm just gonna leave this here...

🔗https://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-switch/games/puyo-puyo-tetris/141921

Os6N48m.png?1

Just sayn'... Plus, you get way more content.

Tetris 99 for free, with its battle royale hook, and unlockable skins isn't bad for FREE with NSO.   I am not sure where I would fall on the PAY FOR IT price point though.

That said, the PPT game is a different beast.  Two game styles, ability to mix and match the game styles, and basically having full featured PP and Tetris for $30 isn't a bad way to go.  I have the digital version, the physical version for $10 more for some key chains wasn't worth it.

I'd say both in your catalog cover a lot of Tetris playing bases for most people.  What I would KILL FOR though is somehow the original NES Tetris and Dr Mario + Tetris / SNES  coming back somehow.

Edited by purple_beard

@TKrazyO You did much better, though just keep on practicing playing faster. If you play enough, you'll eventually be able to instantly to see where you tetrominoes need to go. I got as good as I am from playing a crap-ton of Tetris Party for WiiWare. :P What helps is playing at faster speeds (lvls). If you have the DLC or Puyo Puyo Tetris, just play Marathon Mode (endless), and see how long you can last. Once you're comfortable playing fast, you can practice setting up T-spins. 

Oh...And don't forget to setup Tetrises like this... ;) 

LX4EFWr.png?1

Edited by alienboyva
54 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

@alienboyva  How are you able to set up t-spins? I've tried time and time again and nothing's worked.

You need to learn the basic setup techniques (see videos below). I'm not the best at T-spins, but while playing I can usually spot opportunities where I can set up a double T-spin.

First practice spotting T-spins (no line clears) and T-spin singles.  Most likely when you're playing, you're setting up T-spins and T-spin singles without even knowing it (I've seen this a lot). Once you're good with spotting those, practice setting up T-spin doubles. Now as for T-spin triples...Ummm....I kind of have a hard time with those. :v 

Edited by alienboyva
  • alienboyva changed the title to TETRIS 99 - Battle Royale Tetris! | 🏆 6th Maximus Cup (FE:TH) 8/23-26 🎮Phys. ver. 9/6
2 hours ago, alienboyva said:

Unlocked the FE theme. This theme is pretty cool, though I'm not sure if the music really fits Tetris. Still, the music is damn good! I kinda wished they had use the vocal version of the Three Houses theme instead.

I got it myself a few minutes ago.  I like the background but the actual Tetris tiles are kind of lackluster... just look like some shaded stone textures.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a look at all 10 themes you can unlock with tickets earned form doing daily missions, which was included with the 2.0 update...

*Each theme costs 15 tickets. *2 online missions + 2 offline missions (requires the DLC) for a total of 4 tickets a day.

Spoiler

Tetris 99 can get all these cool themes, but we can't get any themes for the Switch home menu besides basic light and dark themes. :( 

Amway... I just wish there was an option to randomize themes every time you start a game. It would give me more incentive to actually spend the time to unlock them all. Also, I wish the background would show in Mrathon Mode when using a theme, instead of just the theme matrix/Tetriminos (not sure if they changed this in the 2.0 update as I don't have the DLC). BTW, I really like the music in the Toy Blocks theme. :) 

Edited by alienboyva
  • alienboyva changed the title to TETRIS 99 - Battle Royale Tetris! | 🆕Ver. 2.0 is here! 🎮Phys. ver. Available Now!
  • alienboyva changed the title to TETRIS 99 - Battle Royale Tetris! | 🏆7th Maximus Cup (Kirby) - 9/20 🆕Ver. 2.0 is here!