TETRIS 99 - Battle Royale Tetris! | 🏆38th Maximus Cup: 12/14 - 12/18 (SMB: Wonder)

oLgQFXa.png

Site:  https://tetris99.nintendo.com/

Price: Free for Nintendo Switch Online Members (Exclusive)

7kO63kI.png

The free to download online software, Tetris® 99, is available as a special offer for Nintendo Switch Online members. In large-scale, 99-player battles, it'll take speed, skill, and strategy to knock out the competition and become the last player standing. You can target opponents by sending them Garbage Blocks, but be careful…your rivals can target you back! Defeat opponents to acquire KO badges that may give you the advantage on future attacks. Survive the onslaught and look forward to upcoming online events!

Ud5TZPv.png  Ja4fKfZ.png   AkBTqHo.png

Spoiler

U7E5jPq.png

33xs9b9.png (FREE with NSO membership)

9fxTviN.png (Big Block DLC* : Block DLC 1 - $9.99)

CogGLaq.png (Big Block DLC* : Block DLC 1 - $9.99)

*Big Block DLC "Season Pass" ($9.99) includes 2 modes, with more to be announced at a later date.

NEW Modes Now Available!: 

Spoiler

ldCrRvk.png

UPCOMING EVENTS:

🏆 4th Maximus Cup - 6/21 to 6/23 (Win Gold My Nintendo points!)...

PAST EVENTS:

Spoiler

🏆 2nd Maximus Cup - 4/12 to 4/14 (Win Gold My Nintendo points!)...

9jW4D3i.png?1

🏆 Maximus Cup - 3/8 to 3/10 (Win Gold My Nintendo points!)...

🏆 2nd Maximus Cup - 5/17 to 5/14 (Unlock a Game Boy Theme!)...

8WuU9zG.png

----------------------------------------------------------------

Did anyone download this yet?

I played a few rounds and the highest I placed so far was 20th and most KOs I had in one match was 5.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around this with being able to have multiple people attack you at once and being able to switch who you're attacking on-the-fly. So far this game seems very bare-bones right now. No tutorial/how to play, only one mode. can't play with friends, no offline practice, no unlockables, etc. It seems like Nintendo just ripped a smaller online mode out of a larger Tetris game and gave it to NSO members for free. However, there is an EXP meter witch will increase your level as you play, but IDK if your lvl even matters. Can others even see your level? I noticed it says Ver. 1.0.0 on the main menu, so it seems like Nintendo plans to regularly update this. I'd really like to see some of the things mentioned above add to the game, because I'm really digging battle royale Tetris...As crazy of a concept as that is.

Edited by alienboyva
  • alienboyva changed the title to TETRIS 99 - Battle Royale Tetris! (FREE for NSO Members)

I got it AB.  I liked the gameplay.  But yeah, it was weird seeing 99 opponents doing stuff in the background and you only really fending for yourself in your own situation with the Tetriminos.  I did one match and ended up around 60 something.... I could have done better but I got a trash dump and then a bad landing that kind of killed me from using a 4x1 piece to score a Tetris and send damage out.... and thus my screen piled up and I couldn't go any further.

I didn't feel any lag and the actual play control was pretty tight.

It is kind of nice to have a more normal looking mode of Tetris versus the Puyo Puyo version.  That said, both have their merits.

I didn't do any real looking around through any menus or settings.

This game is so stupid...

...I love it.

Personally, I don't really worry about targeting other people, and just give it up to chance. One round, I made it to about 30th place and KO'd 20 players. I just wish there was more explanations as to the right stick commands, and it's just a barebone title.

Edited by avalonknight

Yeah, I find in odd there's no tutorial or online manual of any kind and it just throws you right in expecting you know how to play. This is very un-Nintendo.

I wonder if this will be a NSO exclusive or if they will eventually make it paid for non-members...?

EDIT: Now that I think about it...If they don't add any offline modes then there's no point to making it paid to non-NOS members.

Edited by alienboyva
  • alienboyva changed the title to TETRIS 99 - Battle Royale Tetris! (FREE NSO Member Exclusive)

I got second place on my first match, which is both satisfying and frustrating. Four KOs. I'm glad this is just a free bare-bones thing; I'd rather not pay money for another Tetris game considering I've already bought Puyo Puyo Tetris and Tetris Effect within the last year. This is a nice little freebie.

8 hours ago, avalonknight said:

ARIKA is the developer?! Tetris The Grandmaster ARIKA?!

Yup, that ARIKA! That's what it says on Nintendo's site (link in OP).

Seems fitting, especially since they have history with the Tetris series and that Nintendo has mainly gotten then to do some smaller digital games over the years like, the Dr. Mario games on Wii/3DS/Wii U and the 3DS Classic series on 3DS. Since they've mostly been doing stuff for Nintendo in the past, I thought Nintendo owned them now or part of them, but they have put out stuff on other platforms (even as recently as last year), so I guess not.

4 hours ago, The Krazy One said:

Also, why does Tetris need a tutorial? It's Tetris!

So they can explain the basics of playing against 98 other people, with how to attack/defend. I didn't even know you could choose who to attack on the fly, until I looked at the controls.

Edited by alienboyva

Made it into the Top 10. :)  I could have done a bit better, but the sudden speed change at 10 players left caught me off guard (didn't expect it to get that fast) and I missed placed a piece, which I could't recover from.

BTW, does anyone know what the player highlighted in red means? Is it what the game considers your rival?

Edited by alienboyva

Dataminers have found some new modes coming to the game, which shouldn't bee too surprising....

Link: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/02/tetris_99_datamine_suggests_three_new_modes_will_be_added_in_a_future_update

Nice to see some offline modes...At least, I hope they are and don't require you to connect online for whatever reason. Though, most likely the only online these modes will have is leaderboards.

Some of these modes should have really been there from the start. Though, I guess Nintendo wanted to get the game out A.S.A.P. and put a big focus on the 99 mode.

2 hours ago, Dancing Mog said:

Wow, just made tenth place and if I was a little faster I could have gone a bit further but that really was intense for me as I am only an average Tetris player. Really hope the new modes don't take too long to come out since I would love to just play some normal Tetris.

Same here. I ended up getting attacked big time and tossed a match since I had no chance. I prefer regular Tetris over this. Came back in a second round, but I'm not a huge fan of this.

I also hope we don't have to wait too long for the other modes. If I really want to play Marathon Mode I can just pop-in Puyo Puyo Tetris. Though, I don't like how you can only change your music and can't change the background when playing the single player modes (Tetris & Puyo Puyo) and I don't really care for all the character vocals when clearing lines in Tetris (it's fine in Puyo Puyo though). However, it is cool that you can change the look of your blocks and puyos in that game. I'm really hoping the new single player offline modes in Tetris 99 will also bring changeable music and backgrounds like other Tetris games, because I like this games aesthetic more than Puyo Puyo Tetris'. Don't get me wrong...Puyo Puyo Tetris is fantastic, but it's got more of a Puyo Puyo feel with its overall aesthetic. If I just want to play some Tetris I want the full experience/feel.

-------------------------------------------------

Speaking of Puyo Puyo Tetris VS Tetris 99, I noticed the time it takes to clear a line is a bit long in Tetris 99 compared to PPT. IDK if this is something they had to do in PPT to maintain the balance between Puyo Puyo and Tetris, since you can play both at the same time in VS, or if it's just because Tetris 99 is online and your playing against 98 other people. I will say though, the Tetris in PPT is a very snappy version of Tetris.

Edited by alienboyva