TETRIS 99 - Battle Royale Tetris! | 🏆38th Maximus Cup: 12/14 - 12/18 (SMB: Wonder)

@The Krazy One Nice thumbnail! :) 

--------------------------------------------------------------- 

So, this happened (video below)... O_O'

I know if you get the right pieces at the start you can get an All Clear, which will send a ton of garbage, but it’s literally impossible to set something up that fast!

I wouldn’t be surprised if there were hackers already. >_>

Edited by alienboyva
2 minutes ago, The Krazy One said:

Wow! :o

I noticed that it happened to about 10 other people in that clip if you look on the sides. Can only see it happening if they really know what they're doing.

I've seen people that are ridiculously fast at Tetris, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible to send that much garbage that fast. ...Even if you are ridiculously fast and get an All Clear at the start.

That's why I'm calling HAXZOR on this one.

On 2/17/2019 at 2:39 PM, The Krazy One said:

Depending on how it does I might make this a thing but here's a short video I made of me playing.

Just got a chance to watch your video and since you wanted some feedback/tips...

•  You need to work on playing faster. You're taking a bit too long to place prices. VS Tetris has a lot to do with speed...And remember to always keep an eye on upcoming pieces, so you can plan ahead.
  • Try to set-up T-spins. A single/double/triple T-spin line clear will send more garbage than a regular single/double/triple line clear. 

Tutorials:

Spoiler

If you want to get even more advanced, there is also an All Clear and 4-wide tutorial. Though, I'd stick with just T-spins for now.

• Set-up a 4-line Tetris like this...

LX4EFWr.png?1

It's always a good measure to have a "I" block on hold for this instance and especially when garbage pops up. Also, keeping a "l" block on hold makes it easier to get a back-to-to-back tetris when your given a "I" block (when setting up a tetris as shown above).

• Know when to stop trying to set-up a tetris and just clear lines, so you can get rid of that garbage. Just getting single line clear combos can be more effective at times then trying to set up a tetris and not clearing any lines.

Also, I highly recommend just watching this guy play. He's the one who did the Puyo Puyo Tetris tutorials for SEGA.

Spoiler

Some tips for 99 mode in general:

*Since the game doesn't have a tutorial to explain battle mechanics.

• Try to get as many KOs as possible
  • Set target to "KOs" to attack people about to Game Over
  • KOs = badge pieces
  • Full badges = garbage sent % up
  • 4 full badges = garbage sent 100% up
  • Try to KO people with badges to take all their badges
  • Set target to "Badges" to attack people with badges
  • If the person you're targeting starts targeting you, target another person instead, as they'll most likely have their targeting set to "Attackers"
  • Sometimes just changing who you're targeting / what your targeting is set to can stop attackers, but not always.
  • The bar on the left shows how many garbage lines are coming your way. Once it starts flashing red it will drop garbage when you place your next piece.
  • If you keep clearing lines (or a lot at once) when you're sent garbage, you can nullify the garbage sent before it drops.
Edited by alienboyva
On 2/17/2019 at 4:37 PM, alienboyva said:

@The Krazy One Nice thumbnail! :) 

--------------------------------------------------------------- 

So, this happened (video below)... O_O'

I know if you get the right pieces at the start you can get an All Clear, which will send a ton of garbage, but it’s literally impossible to set something up that fast!

I wouldn’t be surprised if there were hackers already. >_>

That's what happened to me as well. Hate it.

On 2/17/2019 at 4:59 PM, alienboyva said:

I've seen people that are ridiculously fast at Tetris, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible to send that much garbage that fast. ...Even if you are ridiculously fast and get an All Clear at the start.

That's why I'm calling HAXZOR on this one.

Word. There's no way people can be that fast at it. 

19 minutes ago, Art_de_Cat said:

A lot of people could have targeted you at the start.

That's what I figure too. Not worth playing something where that happens. Saw according to records that 5 people have targeted me. Guess I really do not like games that do it. What fun is there, when you don't have any chance?

1 hour ago, XLW said:

Trying to see how far you could get. It might be frustrating and cheap at times, but when you beat your personal best, there’s nothing more satisfying. When I got 7th, I felt satisfied that I made it to the top 10. I had a similar feeling beating X3 recently.

Yea in that regard. But I end up just dropping the match when there's either a) no point in trying or b) when there's no way out of said pile of junk blocks.

6 hours ago, Art_de_Cat said:

A lot of people could have targeted you at the start.

😏

I really hope they do something to prevent this from happening or at least make the attacker lines less intrusive, because it really clutters the play field and makes it hard to see. BTW, I find it ironic that in "Stats" they keep track of how many people targeted you at once. y;

Also, more proof that there are already hackers (see video below)...

That was 3 secs. after the match started. There is NO possible way you can get an "All Clear" that fast!!!!

Edited by alienboyva

Here's some more tips for the 99 Mode, besides the few I mentioned in my tips post above.

I heard people saying that you're stronger when you have multiple people attacking you and you set your targeting to "Attackers", but I couldn't confirm this (why I didn't include it it in my above post). Good to know it has indeed been confirmed and that the more attackers you have the stronger you are.

Edited by alienboyva

Yea but honestly it still sucks. Can't even try to have fun with this. It's no fun when you rank at 98/99 due to that kind of baloney. Yea you can 'get gud', but honestly, it's not my kind of Tetris. Don't mind one on one or offline. But ganging up on others... no.

Edited by Doc Brown
13 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Yea but honestly it still sucks. Can't even try to have fun with this. It's no fun when you rank at 98/99 due to that kind of baloney. Yea you can 'get gud', but honestly, it's not my kind of Tetris. Don't mind one on one or offline. But ganging up on others... no.

I think that's just the nature of Battle Royale games. :P  There have been quite a few times where I've been picked-off very early on (just makes me want to keep trying again), though on average, I can get into the 20's.

I'd like to see a classic VS/VS CPU Mode along with the daitmined Marathon Mode. 99 Mode is fun and all, but sometimes you just want to play some classic Tetris and it would suck to have to boot up another Tetris game (in this case Puyo Puyo Tetris) just for that. I know they want to put the focus on the online to entice people to get NSO, but I feel like Tetris 99 really needs some offline modes, especially since the Switch is also a portable system.

Edited by alienboyva
7 hours ago, alienboyva said:

I think that's just the nature of Battle Royale games. :P  There have been quite a few times where I've been picked-off very early on (just make me want to keep trying again), though on average, I can get into the 20's.

I'd like to see a classic VS/VS CPU Mode along with the daitmined Marathon Mode. 99 Mode is fun and all, but sometimes you just want to play some classic Tetris and it would suck to have to boot up another Tetris game (in this case Puyo Puyo Tetris) just for that. I know they want to put the focus on the online to entice people to get NSO, but I feel like Tetris 99 really needs some offline modes, especially since the Switch is also a portable system.

Yea... but honestly it's a bit wearing. It's great that you're doing well on it, I hope you're able to keep it up.

Definitely. Kind of like what we got in Tetris DS. Loved that games classic mode and endless one. And the soundtrack was gold. Word. I think it could help bring more people to NSO, people who like to do more than just play Tetris online. Playing offline is a good way to help brush up as well not to mention just relax for a bit.

Edited by Doc Brown