TETRIS 99 - Battle Royale Tetris! | šŸ†38th Maximus Cup: 12/14 - 12/18 (SMB: Wonder)

I played some matches after our Mario Kart night last night and on average I got into the teens. I didĀ make it into the top 10 a few times, but kept getting KOed by JPN players. :vĀ  Still trying to beat my best of 5th place.Ā 

Ā 

While playing I noticed this happened a few times... If you look at the pic you can see one person targeting me and my targeting set to "Attackers", and yet I'm targeting two people. Can anyone explain this? Could this be lag and it didn't register yet that the one person had stopped attacking me? Or is this a glitch?

Ā 

2OnJUpI.jpg?1

Ā 

Oh...and this happened as well, where I got two "I" tetriminos in a row. I've played a ton of TetrisĀ over the yearsĀ and I don't every recall this happening. Maybe this is something they added atĀ an extremely low rate specifically for 99 Mode...?

Ā 

9rQfmGI.jpg

In more recent titles, I think starting with Tetris Ultimate, they've introduced the concept of "bags". Meaning that you will always get a "bag" of let's say 20 pieces containing a few of each Tetronimos. Empty that out, and repeat. Of course, said game also had to option for "true" randomness where you'll only get a line block once every blue moon...or whenever the Tetris God wants to torment on your failure by throwing out line blocks ad nausem.

Ā 

Given the battle royale nature of Tetris 99, with its chaotic and quiet moments, this mechanic is can be helpful if it actually is implemented.

10 hours ago, avalonknight said:

In more recent titles, I think starting with Tetris Ultimate, they've introduced the concept of "bags". Meaning that you will always get a "bag" of let's say 20 pieces containing a few of each Tetronimos. Empty that out, and repeat. Of course, said game also had to option for "true" randomness where you'll only get a line block once every blue moon...or whenever the Tetris God wants to torment on your failure by throwing out line blocks ad nausem.

Ā 

Given the battle royale nature of Tetris 99, with its chaotic and quiet moments, this mechanic is can be helpful if it actually is implemented.

Ā 

I'm pretty sure "7-bag"' is a part of the standardĀ Tetris ruleset now. I'm not sure when they introduced this, but I think it wasĀ before Tetris Ultimate. In Ultimate they just gave you option to set the terrimino randomization to classic or 7-bag (modern).Ā 

Ā 

I would assume 7-bag would be a requirement, much like how the tetriminos have to be certain colors,Ā how you haveĀ to have the Tetris theme (that one Russian song), holding, etc., but if so, then I don't think I shouldĀ have gotten 2 "I" tetriminos in a row. I know with 7-bag I shouldĀ be guaranteed oneĀ "I" tetrimino every 7 tetriminosĀ and that you can get back-to-backs of the same tetrimino, but does this also allow for back -to-back "I" tetriminos? If so, it just seems like it could be a bit game-breaking in standardĀ VS Tetris.

Ā 

EDIT: Looking at the current Tetris ruleset (as of 2009), 7-bag is indeed a requirement.Ā https://tetris.fandom.com/wiki/Tetris_Guideline

Edited by alienboyva
56 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Got up to 11th place tonight. But damn, it gets insanely fast! :PĀ 

Ā 

Just missed the top 10. :(Ā Ā  Still great job.šŸ‘

Ā 

Yeah, at that speed (the fastest speed, 10th and up)Ā you got to really keep focus on what pieces are coming up next, because one wrong move can ruin everything.Ā 

Edited by alienboyva
11 hours ago, alienboyva said:

Ā 

Just missed the top 10. :(Ā Ā  Still great job.šŸ‘

Ā 

Yeah, at that speed (the fastest speed, 10th and up)Ā you got to really keep focus on what pieces are coming up next, because one wrong move can ruin everything.Ā 

Yep. But it was getting late, so I just threw it, given that I wasn't working at my best :P. No matter how much I was thinking ahead, the blocks were just a bit faster. Definitely.

• alienboyva changed the title to TETRIS 99 - Battle Royale Tetris! | šŸ†Maximus Cup! (3/8 - 3/10) šŸ†

The first online event for TETRIS 99 has been announced! The Maximus Cup will take place from March 3rd at 8 am PT to March 10th at 11:59 pm PT. The top 999 players with the most wins will receive 999 Gold My Nintendo Points!!!

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Damn, I've only been able to win one game so far (got close to a 2nd winĀ numerous of times). I can on average get anywhere from into the teens to the top 10, but winning a game comes down to just how much I'm being attacked early on. I can see a lot of pro Tetris playersĀ taking part in this event just to prove they can win, even though they don't care for the gold My Nintendo points.Ā ...So, be prepared to get your ass handed to you more that usual.Ā Ā :vĀ educate;

Edited by alienboyva
  • alienboyva changed the title to TETRIS 99 - Battle Royale Tetris! | šŸ†Maximus Cup: 3/8 - 3/10 (Win GLD MyNTDO pts)

Does being in the top 10 or close to it (meaning down to around 15th place) count? I'm not counting on being able to get higher than that at this point.

Ā 

Welp there shoots it for me. Just found out it's for 1st place victories, which I have no chance in hell in getting.Ā  :(Ā 

Edited by Doc Brown

They brought up some good tips. Only thing is that at times even those won't help if you keep on running into stuff you can't use to dig out of said garbage.Ā :PĀ Luck and RNG plays a part too (imo).

Ā 

Tried once today... and got... 80th place.Ā anhero;

Edited by Doc Brown
On 3/7/2019 at 6:58 PM, Doc Brown said:

Tried once today... and got... 80th place.Ā anhero;

Ā 

I know theĀ feeling. I got picked-off before the top 50 a few times. The Tetris pros really are out in full force for this event. It really sux when you get targeted by like 3 or more of them, especiallyĀ at the start. :(Ā 

Ā 

Here's the best I've done so far this event...

Ā 

Spoiler

Ā 

I could have probably won this game or at least gotten 2nd, but I misplaced a piece during the Top-10, where it was at the fastest speed. >_<Ā I feel if I get a least 1 win (my 2nd overall win) in this event, I might have a chance at making the top 999. With all the Tetris pros out,Ā I really had to fight for that 3rd, more so than when I finally got 1st lastĀ week.

Ā 

---------------------------------------------------------

Coming for Nintendo's JPN site...

Ā 

If you get a 1st place win during this event, you will get a special badge on the main menu.

Ā 

MY1RyDw.jpg?1

Ā 

Now I have to get a win, regardless if I make the top 999. I've already proven I can do it, but those damn pro players!Ā 

Ā 

BTW, EUR and JPN seems to be doing things differently whereĀ all you have to do is get a 1st place win during the even to be entered to win 999 gold My NTDOĀ pts. and they will pick 999 people at random. Though, the more wins you get the better your odds are.Ā 

Ā 

I wish NOA was doing it this way, as I feel like I have a better chance of getting the 999 gold pts. this way.Ā  I think I can get at least 1 win, maybe two, but since there's no leader board, IDK how the competition is stacking up. Reading the fine print...Ā in an event of a tie, they will award the pts. to people who got first the fastest. So, if a bunch of people make the top 999Ā withĀ 1 win, the people who won the fastest will get gold pts. I've noticed that with all these pro players out, it's taking longer than usual to get to the top 50, so I don't think I'd have a very good time if...or should I sayĀ WHEN,Ā I win.Ā šŸ˜

Ā 

Edited by alienboyva
10 hours ago, alienboyva said:

Ā 

I know theĀ feeling. I got picked-off before the top 50 a few times. The Tetris pros really are out in full force for this event. It really sux when you get targeted by like 3 or more of them, especiallyĀ at the start. :(Ā 

Ā 

Here's the best I've done so far this event...

Ā 

Ā  Hide contents

Ā 

I could have probably won this game or at least gotten 2nd, but I misplaced a piece during the Top-10, where it was at the fastest speed. >_<Ā I feel if I get a least 1 win (my 2nd overall win) in this event, I might have a chance at making the top 999. With all the Tetris pros out,Ā I really had to fight for that 3rd, more so than when I finally got 1st lastĀ week.

Ā 

---------------------------------------------------------

Coming for Nintendo's JPN site...

Ā 

If you get a 1st place win during this event, you will get a special badge on the main menu.

Ā 

MY1RyDw.jpg?1

Ā 

Now I have to get a win, regardless if I make the top 999. I've already proven I can do it, but those damn pro players!Ā 

Ā 

BTW, EUR and JPN seems to be doing things differently whereĀ all you have to do is get a 1st place win during the even to be entered to win 999 gold My NTDOĀ pts. and they will pick 999 people at random. Though, the more wins you get the better your odds are.Ā 

Ā 

I wish NOA was doing it this way, as I feel like I have a better chance of getting the 999 gold pts. this way.Ā  I think I can get at least 1 win, maybe two, but since there's no leader board, IDK how the competition is stacking up. Reading the fine print...Ā in an event of a tie, they will award the pts. to people who got first the fastest. So, if a bunch of people make the top 999Ā withĀ 1 win, the people who won the fastest will get gold pts. I've noticed that with all these pro players out, it's taking longer than usual to get to the top 50, so I don't think I'd have a very good time if...or should I sayĀ WHEN,Ā I win.Ā šŸ˜

Ā 

That's a win in my eyes. That's very damn good.

Ā 

That's fair. Yea kind of like a random drawing then?

Ā 

Word. Getting 1 win is hard enough, but more than that... it's almost an impossible task.

Ā 

I think that's the case for a lot of people.

Ā 

I hope you win. I'll be rooting for you.Ā lvhappy;

Still have yet to get a win. Every time I get in to the top 20Ā the pros destroy me. However, I have made it in to the top 10 quite a few times. I think the main problem is I'm too busy fending off attackers early on to go andĀ get any badges.

Ā 

All was not lost, though....I managed to get my first 2 All Clears, with the 2nd one being a Tetris All Clear. :)Ā 

Ā 

DAT SHIT IS HARD TO DO!

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by alienboyva

I'm betting they're targeting you more now given that you got to number 3 earlier. They consider you to be a bit of a threat now.

Ā 

When were you able to get up to number 3 time wise?

Ā 

I'd try around times when less people were on, or at least less competitive (not that it would make more of a difference at this time, but it couldn't hurt).

Ā 

Congrats on the All Clears!

Edited by Doc Brown