Link's Awakening coming to Switch

So...Nintendo made an announcement today that made many LoZ fans incredibly happy.  Evidently Nintendo has been working on a modern rendering of Link's Awakening that will be releasing for the Switch sometime in 2019. 

This game, which was the first of the handheld games in the Legend of Zelda franchise, is forgotten by many.  That being said, this game was very highly regarded for not only its superb gameplay but also its incredibly deep and sometimes dark storyline as well it being the first LoZ game to incorporate trading and sidequests into the game, which was expanded on in the later 3D games for the N64 and is now a staple of pretty much every LoZ title.

Who's ready to see Koholint Island in 4K?  I am.

3 hours ago, Triforcemaster3 said:

So...Nintendo made an announcement today that made many LoZ fans incredibly happy.  Evidently Nintendo has been working on a modern rendering of Link's Awakening that will be releasing for the Switch sometime in 2019. 

This game, which was the first of the handheld games in the Legend of Zelda franchise, is forgotten by many.  That being said, this game was very highly regarded for not only its superb gameplay but also its incredibly deep and sometimes dark storyline as well it being the first LoZ game to incorporate trading and sidequests into the game, which was expanded on in the later 3D games for the N64 and is now a staple of pretty much every LoZ title.

Who's ready to see Koholint Island in 4K?  I am.

Have players forgotten, or have they just woken up?

I lost my SHIT when this came on the Direct. I was so happy. Came out of left field for them to remake this title and the visuals are absolutely ADORABLE! I cannot wait for this game! And here's hoping the Oracle games get the same treatment since they reused so many assets.

5 hours ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

This game was on my "to beat" list. Not sure when I was going to do so, but I wanted to play it. Probably after beating Zelda 2. But now I may just wait for this version. Not sure. 

You need to beat original/gbc version.  To appreciate what they did back then.  It wont take horribly long to go through.

3 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

They really did a lot didn't they?

Also, as much as I LOVE LttP, this was the first Zelda game where the story hits you in the feels.

Especially for a gb game. And the ending can still get you. At the time compared to other gb games, this had scenes that brought out the world to the player.

2 minutes ago, Art_de_Cat said:

Especially for a gb game. And the ending can still get you. At the time compared to other gb games, this had scenes that brought out the world to the player.

I'm also looking forward to the music. LA had some stellar songs, most notably Ballad of the Windfish, but Tal Tal Heights was equally amazing

I love the art style--did anyone else notice that Link's appearance here is taken directly from his chibi style in the photography spots in the original game?

That said, I'm not thrilled about it reusing the ALBW engine. The gameplay looks slower and easier. It doesn't seem like this game was meant to be challenging to series veterans, so I'll be sitting out.

5 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

I lost my SHIT when this came on the Direct. I was so happy. Came out of left field for them to remake this title and the visuals are absolutely ADORABLE! I cannot wait for this game! And here's hoping the Oracle games get the same treatment since they reused so many assets.

Word. It looks really cute! I have this game via eshop, but I don't mind getting the remake too. Same goes with the Oracle games (if/when a remake of them comes out).

14 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

They really did a lot didn't they?

Also, as much as I LOVE LttP, this was the first Zelda game where the story hits you in the feels.

Man you’re not kidding.  I remember seeing the mural in the South Face Shrine for the first time and having a feeling like “what?  Did that really just happen?”  It was like everything I knew had been totally turned upside down.

The only other time I legitimately felt anything like it in an LoZ game was when we found out Tetra’s true identity in the Windwaker, but that was at least slightly telegraphed.  The reality of the island of Koholint, or lack thereof, was really an unexpected punch to the gut, and really made one question just what was really going on.  

I ultimately wrote 2 LoZ fanfics about Koholint, one of which is a retelling of Link’s Awakening, the other a telling of events following this game as well as the Oracle games tying together Koholint, Holodrum, and Labrynna.  It was just all so fascinating to me and still is.

10 hours ago, Triforcemaster3 said:

Man you’re not kidding.  I remember seeing the mural in the South Face Shrine for the first time and having a feeling like “what?  Did that really just happen?”  It was like everything I knew had been totally turned upside down.

The only other time I legitimately felt anything like it in an LoZ game was when we found out Tetra’s true identity in the Windwaker, but that was at least slightly telegraphed.  The reality of the island of Koholint, or lack thereof, was really an unexpected punch to the gut, and really made one question just what was really going on.  

I ultimately wrote 2 LoZ fanfics about Koholint, one of which is a retelling of Link’s Awakening, the other a telling of events following this game as well as the Oracle games tying together Koholint, Holodrum, and Labrynna.  It was just all so fascinating to me and still is.

Oh, that was the Maiden of Subconscious series right? I remember that one! :o Good times...

Yes, and Hyrule Historia makes it sound even worse... almost comes right out and says Link has to live with killing the island. I think the last book in redescribing it kind of eased off on that idea, but yeah... lots of philosophical connotations.

11 hours ago, Triforcemaster3 said:

You mean this:

LA-Relief.thumb.jpg.9a60672228be5783708ddb68f821550e.jpg

(made by yours truly)

On 2/15/2019 at 10:09 AM, DranSeasona said:

Oh, that was the Maiden of Subconscious series right? I remember that one! :o Good times...

Yes, and Hyrule Historia makes it sound even worse... almost comes right out and says Link has to live with killing the island. I think the last book in redescribing it kind of eased off on that idea, but yeah... lots of philosophical connotations.

Yes...it was Maiden of Subconscious and Maiden of Subconscious 2: Revenge of the Nightmares.  I’m glad you enjoyed my stories!  The 2nd one in particular I consider to be some of my finest writing.

And you’re right, the Hyrule Historia was rather critical of Link’s actions in Koholint.  The nightmares consistently insinuated that they were actually trying to save the island from Link...with the boss of North Face Shrine and then later Eagle’s Tower warning Link of the ramifications of his actions.  It’s almost as though Dethl or Grim Creaper wrote that portion of the original Hyrule Historia

On 2/14/2019 at 2:09 PM, Art_de_Cat said:

You need to beat original/gbc version.  To appreciate what they did back then.  It wont take horribly long to go through.

So, what if we got maybe halfway through and didn't actually...beat it? Would it have similar impact?

I'm a little ashamed - that's a Zelda game I got hopelessly stuck on about 5 or 6 years ago and lost the motivation to finish. I refuse to look at guides before getting through Zelda games myself the first round. Unless it's BotW 'cause finding those shrines sometimes..........anyway, my point is I'm looking forward to a second chance with this. Hoping prior circumstances won't take away the meaning.