Finally beat XC2: Torna - The Golden Country

Kezay

So, I got Torna: The Golden Country back when it first came out but due to a myriad of issues the furthest I got after starting the game was the Danagh Desert.  The game would sit at that point for a few months until the past couple of weeks where I would pick it up again and eventually complete it thanks to the free time afforded to me by my new job.  All in all, for a DLC expansion there is a lot of content to it despite its scope not approaching nearly the same breadth of material as the base game. But it makes sense as the expansion was focusing specifically on certain characters and events that ultimately supplement many of the story threads in Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

If there was any disappointment I had with Torna it's that my expectation of it doing a deeper dive into certain character motivations and origins wasn't met to the degree I would have hoped.  Granted, many of those are explained as backstory tidbits throughout XC2 and if you're paying attention there are things that aren't spelled out so obviously if you think about the journey and its effect, good and bad, on the characters involved.  Gotta say, without spoiling too much there was something really cool about seeing Addam's true self and an incredibly unrefined Mythra.  Lora and Jin are really just the best and Lora's character is awesome to see in action.  But seeing how that chapter ends and ultimately sets the eventual stage for XB2 was awesome to see.  I think my final play time was around 30+ which is nothing to sniff considering I still have a lot to do in the game still, but certainly a far cry from the 100+ hours I put into every other game bearing the Xenoblade name.

I really can't wait to see what MonolithSoft is working on next.  It won't be a new Xenoblade but I can't wait to jump into whatever world they're cooking up next.

I finish the game the same month it came out and I played this before the main game. I wouldn't of done that if this game wasn't prequel to the main game. So despite that I sorta see where characters origins in this game fell a bit short.

To me what really shine was Jin and Lorna and the refined gameplay with switching blades. That's what really stood out to me.

The battle theme is pretty excellent. It's kind of nuts how long the battle theme arrangements are in the Xenoblade games and they remain incredible all throughout, most of the time.

However, I am glad they add this theme to the game as well even though I think it only plays in a certain battle near the start of the game.  In XB2 it only played in one area and unless you were severely underleveled you would never hear most of the track before defeating the enemy.  There is an entire portion of this track I was never able to hear in game because of that so I would listen to it on youtube.

Hmm, you're right. I haven't heard that battle theme before.

I was trying to remember where I'm in XC2, all I can remember last is that I'm inside a titan. So as you say you can only hear this early in the game and if you're underleveled. So I would hear where I am at in this game? I forget what level I'm at this point as well too.

My fave from XC2 has to go to counterattack whenever I hear this in a cutscene. Such chilling nerve it possess.

What I'm confused about this track, you know when it gets the the apex with the drums and the violins kick in. I swear unless I'm hearing things you hear them chime in twice in-game but it only chimes once here. I like that 2nd chime one.

I think the part you're talking about does chime in during the game but there may be a time or two where the track doesn't play all the way.  I may be wrong as it has been a while since I played but I'm pretty sure there is at least one time where the full track doesn't play. But Counterattack is a fantastic theme and is basically this game's version of XB1's "Engage the Enemy".  As for where you are in the main XB2 game, if you say you're "inside" a titan, then you're at Uraya.  Still somewhat early in the game but it's in this section where you'll learn about and pick up on a lot of new gameplay tips and options.  Also, Uraya, despite being the inside of a titan, is a MASSIVE open environment too, but the story really ramps up in this part of the game as well.

Anyway, going back to the track I mentioned before it only plays early on in the Torna expansion when you fight the first Gargoyle.  In the main game, that track doesn't play until the end of the game and is used for a completely different type of enemy.  But as mentioned before, unless you're underleveled your party will wipe the enemy out before the song really gets going.

Yeah, some mercenary is guy is showing me the ropes of some gameplay tips. Yeah, that's the area.

------------

Oh, the gargoyle at the start of Torna. Right before you meet Addam and Mythra.

Hmm, I though that sounded familiar. That was my first boss fight in that game, I was so focused just getting through the battle I paid no mind to theme. But what a entrance for Addam and Mythra tho. More so for Addam, my first impression of him is that this man has a few screws loose but he's lovable for that.

Addam was a great character.  Seeing him playing the part of comic relief at times while also being that doting father figure was something I never expected.  Seeing his response to Jin and Lora after that first fight is interesting since it almost seems to implicate that Jin and Lora's battle style is what influenced the Blade and Driver system that would eventually exist in XB2. 

• 2 months later...