Secret of Mana "trilogy"/ Trials of Mana Remake

I played it yesterday. Never played this series before so this still sort of new for me, tho I played Secret of Mana years ago so I'm not that completely loss. Even if you never played the series before it's not that hard to play.

What I can comment on is the gameplay, real-time battle and the command ring is still on point but VO and some of the movement of the characters are a but off putting. I played as Kevin that beastman I get he doesn't speak much but I heard better struggle of speech for this type of character. So it sound like double butchering of the dialect and inflection. That's personally me and some may not pick up on that but I do. Kevin is the only character that sounds off, some side character sound like they are mumbling and there's side girl character that is raspy as fuck.

Honestly, I have not played DQ XI but I have the demo for Switch, I thought the VO would be atrocious but I actually like all the voice on there so why is this game also from Square Enix sound like ass to me, I don't get?

As for the visuals, I could speak for but I think this video will do a better job.

Like DQ XI on Switch, there's not much difference in visuals, tho on PS for DQ XI it is bit noticeable but these game is it almost non-existent. And for once the game load faster on Switch than compared to PS4.

I wonder why the load times lag so much on PS4 compared to Switch?  I hadn't seen any comparison videos until now but after seeing the load times when playing the Switch demo I figured that would probably be the biggest tradeoff between the two versions.  Maybe the PS4 version just isn't optimized all that well?

Whatever the case, the game still looks great.  I chose Hawkeye as my primary character so it's his story arc that I'm following.  The game is certainly a looker but I just like that they transferred the art direction so well from the original to this remake.  BTW, my team is Hawkeye, Duran and Riesz.

Yeah, optimization may be the reason why PS4 version loads like that but not to put bias on the Switch version; I always wonder why most Switch games on other platforms load slower, this is the first in a while where the Switch actually loads faster than another platform. I say that because the game is mostly all loaded on the cart, in theory load times for games on Switch should be generally faster. Honestly that is the only benefit of carts vs discs but I'm glad the Switch has a upper hand when comes the loading and as I mentioned the visual comparisons are almost identical this time.

And yeah my part consists of Kevin (main character), Hawkeye, and Angela. I know the demo says it will end when you get to Lv.7 (which I didn't, I reached Lv.6) but the demo ended for me before Angela could join the party. Tho I did meet her in that town were all the beastmen were. Most of the characters in that game are in that town.

Yeah I think that town is like the crossroads where all the main characters conveniently cross paths.  Story wise it makes sense too considering what's going on in the world relative to all of their backstories.  Though I can't quite remember if it works out exactly like that in the original where they're all there at the same time.  Like, you can eventually see them all there at one point or another as the early game progresses, but I could be remembering that wrong.

Anyway, I hope the remake does well and maybe Square Enix can also use that engine to remake other Mana games.  I never played Legend of Mana, for instance.

Downloaded the demo for the Trials remake but didn't play it yet.

Went back to ToM via the collection and i am so ticked about the solution for where I was stumped on the ghost ship...   watched a youtube video and was like.... DAMN... that was it?  That is cheap....  Anyway, onto this beach area.....

The music and the graphics in this game are GREAT but I dislike navigating the menus.

1 minute ago, Kezay said:

Yeah I think that town is like the crossroads where all the main characters conveniently cross paths.  Story wise it makes sense too considering what's going on in the world relative to all of their backstories.  Though I can't quite remember if it works out exactly like that in the original where they're all there at the same time.  Like, you can eventually see them all there at one point or another as the early game progresses, but I could be remembering that wrong.

Anyway, I hope the remake does well and maybe Square Enix can also use that engine to remake other Mana games.  I never played Legend of Mana, for instance.

?

My understanding of the series is there is just The GBA game, then SoM, then ToM.  What is LoM?

1 minute ago, Kezay said:

It was a PS1 game.  No idea what the story for it is like or anything like that though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mana_(series)

I guess it was a PSX only then.  If so, I wonder why they stopped the collection at ToM though.  Because of it being a Switch game?  I thought they stopped at 3, and 3 never came stateside till it got localized for the CoM.

No idea, but Trials of Mana was certainly the centerpiece for the reasons you stated above.  That alone made me happy when it was first announced.  But there have been other Mana games even outside of Legend of Mana.  At one point Square Enix attempted a sort of "shared universe" deal with the Mana games that created games like Children of Mana and Heroes of Mana for the DS.  I'd have to look it up to see just how many games there were overall in the series but there are quite a few.

3 hours ago, Kezay said:

No idea, but Trials of Mana was certainly the centerpiece for the reasons you stated above.  That alone made me happy when it was first announced.  But there have been other Mana games even outside of Legend of Mana.  At one point Square Enix attempted a sort of "shared universe" deal with the Mana games that created games like Children of Mana and Heroes of Mana for the DS.  I'd have to look it up to see just how many games there were overall in the series but there are quite a few.

Yeah, I had thought there were others somehow....

Man, clearing that bottleneck of the Ghost Ship has me knocking on the door in the Frostbite Fields area now.  Now that I can finally free roam the seas via a ...um....  see faring turtle creature make the map very impressive, kind of like FF6 on the SNES.

Edited by purple_beard

I finally tried out the remake demo. It's kind of an adjustment going from 2D to 3D, since now you can easily lose track of monsters behind you, but overall combat feels pretty good. I was going to use the three characters I didn't use when I played Trials of Mana in the collection last year, but I just can't handle Charlotte's voice so instead I went Reisz, Hawkeye, and Kevin. Some of the other voice acting is actually pretty mixed quality too though—Reisz has some really flat delivery on some lines. I do like that you can choose to play through other characters' intros when they join your party, that's a neat addition.

2 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

I finally tried out the remake demo. It's kind of an adjustment going from 2D to 3D, since now you can easily lose track of monsters behind you, but overall combat feels pretty good. I was going to use the three characters I didn't use when I played Trials of Mana in the collection last year, but I just can't handle Charlotte's voice so instead I went Reisz, Hawkeye, and Kevin. Some of the other voice acting is actually pretty mixed quality too though—Reisz has some really flat delivery on some lines. I do like that you can choose to play through other characters' intros when they join your party, that's a neat addition.

Aw, come awn.  Charwotte's voice can't possibwy be that bad, wight? :P

1 hour ago, DLurkster said:

Don't be a tease, Kezay. You just not right when you haven't had your Snicker for the day.

You feel better?

Milky Way all day!!

That being said, I wasn't all that interested in using Charlotte when my bro and I first played the game and I think the way they have her dialogue now kind of contributes to me feeling that way presently.  But I feel like somewhere in that cute, lisp driven child is a beast of a warrior. XD

38 minutes ago, Kezay said:

Milky Way all day!!

That being said, I wasn't all that interested in using Charlotte when my bro and I first played the game and I think the way they have her dialogue now kind of contributes to me feeling that way presently.  But I feel like somewhere in that cute, lisp driven child is a beast of a warrior. XD

More like Watchamacallit :D

But yeah, I think I will do a different party for the remake play though.  I kind of want to experience different characters of the series and this seems like a logical way for me.  IN the CoM Trials I have Hawkeye, Angela, and Kevin.

Halfway through with the God Beasts.  Man, these last two really work down your healing and recovery items.  Via this guide I am using, I think I might have needed to change up my party to get some stat booster spells for my physical attacks.  I think I am going to figure out the path to my Moonlight Tower spot, and then work out a good level grinding area to get me to probably 43+/- to go for that boss as the guide says the next is border line @ 35, I'm on 37s nearing 38s so I might just go ahead and knock out 43 before I start.... that should kind of keep me on pace for the next round.

8 hours ago, DLurkster said:

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?!?

I want this but also don't want this. Contest seems like a good way around this and what's the harm of entering?

EUV3OMeUwAAqqzh?format=jpg&name=large

Yeah, dual orange jcs, fresh yellow dock, and greasy yellow backer panel.

This was crazy, had my game randomly freeze one of my team members.... I couldn't press X and control them and they wouldn't move to attack enemies on their own.  I was too nervous to heal and save at a statue in case it was stuck, so I just closed the game and rebooted...  luckily they went back to normal.

Edited by purple_beard