Xbox Live coming to Switch

Microsoft has announced that they are planning to bring Xbox Live to Nintendo Switch, as well as mobile...

Uhhhh....Wait! WHAT?!!! o_O? 

I'm guessing this a part of Microsoft's bigger effort to expand cross-platform gaming? Does this mean Xbox games on Switch? Do you have to have to have a XBL membership to use the service on Switch? Will you need a Nintendo Switch Online membership as well? So many questions right now. 

Seriously, this is pretty nuts. It's like if Sony out of the blue announced PSN coming to Xbox One.  Still, it's nice to see Microsoft and Nintendo working so well together to actually allow something like this. 

Edited by alienboyva
29 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

It basically seems like it's going to start with just achievements and friend lists, but I could honestly see this being the beginning of a joint console for gen after next.

Oh, yeah they did that with that update for Minecraft on Switch, didn't they? I'm guess they want to expand this to more games, like 3rd party games that are on both XB1 and Switch (Ex: Rocket League ). Though, will we eventually see first party MS games on Switch (the big online ones)?

Edited by alienboyva
16 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

Oh, yeah they did that with that update for Minecraft on Switch, didn't they? I'm guess they want to expand this to more games, like 3rd party games that are on both XB1 and Switch (Ex: Rocket League ). Though, will we eventually see first party MS games on Switch (the big online ones)?

Who knows? Although console-exclusives sell consoles, not everyone has multi consoles. It's getting too pricey, even to just dual-wield which has been "standard" for a while. By allowing your software on another console you expand the market to the solo-owners and increase sales potential. And with the cost of R&D and developing new consoles, I can't see companies relying on exclusives to lock in sales. This is why I could see Nintendo and Microsoft partnering up and joining forces on the console side of things, dominating the market and locking down the most system sales with a massive amount of exclusives against only a sole competitor, Sony.

7 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

Who knows? Although console-exclusives sell consoles, not everyone has multi consoles. It's getting too pricey, even to just dual-wield which has been "standard" for a while. By allowing your software on another console you expand the market to the solo-owners and increase sales potential. And with the cost of R&D and developing new consoles, I can't see companies relying on exclusives to lock in sales. This is why I could see Nintendo and Microsoft partnering up and joining forces on the console side of things, dominating the market and locking down the most system sales with a massive amount of exclusives against only a sole competitor, Sony.

Exactly. It's getting to be too much on the price side of things.

Just now, Doc Brown said:

Exactly. It's getting to be too much on the price side of things.

I've got an X1 and Switch now, but there's no way I could justify a PS4 (even though there's a few exclusives I wanna try), or even upgrading to an X1X. And even still the main reason I could do this was because I got them so far apart from each other. If we get another 3-console release in one year, it ain't happening for me. I'll go Nintendo, and I'll wait 2-3 years for my second one.

I'm actually SUPER happy Sony and MS dropped these "half-gen" consoles that just optimized VR and 4K without making any of their new titles require the systems to play. It stretched their generations out enough that buying a Switch was lot easier knowing I didn't need to get a new second console anytime soon.

In the past, one of the rumbling is that they mentioned is that XBox is going to be seen as a service or a platform of sorts, instead of it just being a game console. Though given that XBox "Scarlet" or whatever codename they have right now is going to come out. Makes me wonder what they are going to do with it, especially since by the sound of it, it's not just a simple companion app that I can use to turn on my X1X, and it's not going to be limited to just Minecraft logins. It might be a streaming gaming platform, which we can already see is doable on Switch...in Japan.

Edited by avalonknight
6 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

I've got an X1 and Switch now, but there's no way I could justify a PS4 (even though there's a few exclusives I wanna try), or even upgrading to an X1X. And even still the main reason I could do this was because I got them so far apart from each other. If we get another 3-console release in one year, it ain't happening for me. I'll go Nintendo, and I'll wait 2-3 years for my second one.

I'm actually SUPER happy Sony and MS dropped these "half-gen" consoles that just optimized VR and 4K without making any of their new titles require the systems to play. It stretched their generations out enough that buying a Switch was lot easier knowing I didn't need to get a new second console anytime soon.

Yep. Kind of the same for me.

Word. Let people get a console and be able to enjoy it. Not just consume them. That's what it feels at this point.

6 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

Does this mean Master Chief is eligible for Smash?

Oddly more possible than you'd think in a relative scene, barring the prior appearence requirement. There was a MechAssault game on DS (Though there was that cancelled Halo DS, cannot remember if it was a real pitch or fanmod of GoldenEye:RA DS.). I know it has been a very long time since there was a Microsoft game on a Nintendo platform, especially in the early days of Rare becoming part of Microsoft.

ADDON: Oof. How could I forget about Viva Pinata DS!

Edited by avalonknight

Hopefully deals and negotiations with Rare games is one of the elephants in the room for Nintendo and Microsoft.

And yeah, I'm unsure on how I would approach the next console gen for pretty much the reasoning that was posted. I eventually "triple wielded" this gen while double wielded the previous gens, but the former was more of an exception. The xbox one in its original form was a red flag for too many people, but I'm glad this gen taught Microsoft to be more pro-consumer which was eventually to be expected after their blunders. Never did I imagine though a partnership with them and Nintendo to this level. These are some interesting times.

• Chrom featured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd be very curious to know how Game Pass would work on Switch. A reasonable best case scenario: we see things like the XBLA remake of Banjo Kazooie on Switch, and free with Game Pass. That'd be pretty great. I just don't see Nintendo allowing any third party games to be available for free with game pass, with the possible exception of any Microsoft-developed games. New games would be great, but somehow I doubt that's what's happening here. More likely it's an indication that we could see retro Rare titles hit the platform. Not getting my hopes up for anything super special, though.

Nintendo better step up the pace on firmware, either way. An Xbox app would have things like on-console party chat and access to the messaging system. Y'know, things a console should have from the moment a required online subscription service starts. :P

Edited by The Guardian Mew