The Thread That Never Was - N4A Chat Thread - February 2019

Tyranogre

I still have a Japanese Shiny Trapinch and Shiny German Pidgey in X that I got from a trade awhile back....

Wonder if I start Y in each language on an English device if they’ll retain their respective names rather than translating into English?

On the other hand, I don’t know a lick of either language so I don’t know how far I’d get in either 

Granted I did play X/Y fully, but I have no idea if that would help at all

Hm.... I have no idea

May have to research more looking into that further 

Something about Patreon'a investor woes got me thinking about time value of money and how it's just such a strange concept it is to me. I had to learn about it, conceptually, when I had to tutor for business Calc but it just felt like people believed money grew in trees. Okay, so not literally trees; the money came from stocks or bank interest or some source, but it always just seemed like there was always a place you could put money and get even more money. And, if I understand the story right, Patreon investors are upset that Patreon might be reaching a ceiling and soon can't turn money into even more money and like, is our capitalistic system really not set up to prepare for the fact bot every investment can grow money? Basically, I think capitalism is a scam how do I opt out. 

In either case, my job is that my tutees could compute derivates, compounded monthly interest at some suspiciously generous (albeit, fictious) rate, etc. so I just didn't question it y;

Edited by Ares
2 minutes ago, Shadow118 said:

I still have a Japanese Shiny Trapinch and Shiny German Pidgey in X that I got from a trade awhile back....

Wonder if I start Y in each language on an English device if they’ll retain their respective names rather than translating into English?

On the other hand, I don’t know a lick of either language so I don’t know how far I’d get in either 

Granted I did play X/Y fully, but I have no idea if that would help at all

Hm.... I have no idea

May have to research more looking into that further 

I do know that fucking with your 3DS's regional settings before starting a new game can net you different Vivillon patterns, but certain regions are locked behind the regional coding of the system itself.

For example, if you have an American 3DS, you can set your language to Japanese, but it won't let you set Tokyo as your region.

5 minutes ago, Ares said:

Something about Patreon'a investor woes got me thinking about time value of money and just such a strange concept it is to me. I had to learn about it, conceptually, when I had to tutor for business Calc but it just felt like people believed money grew in trees. Okay, so not literally trees; the money came from stocks or bank interest or some source, but it always just seemed like there was always a place you could put money and get even more money. And, if I understand the story right, Patreon investors are upset that Patreon might be reaching a ceiling and soon can't turn money into even more money and got me thinking about the concept of time value of money. 

Basically, I think capitalism is a scam how do I opt out. 

In either case, my job is my tutees could derivates and compute compounded month interest at some suspiciously generous (albeit, fictious rate) so I just didn't question it y;

Step 1: Get a job at the BEP.

Step 2: Print out a few trillion dollars without telling anyone.

Step 3: Give it to the starving children so they can buy food.

Bam, no more world hunger!

15 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

Step 1: Get a job at the BEP.

Step 2: Print out a few trillion dollars without telling anyone.

Step 3: Give it to the starving children so they can buy food.

Bam, no more world hunger!

Exactly! It's not about a lack of food, just a lack of money to pay for said food.

Finding a high quality pair of noise isolating headphones/Earbuds is difficult...

or noise cancelling - whichever I’m thinking of

Especially with how expensive higher quality ones are...

Not even sure what im looking for specifically...

Edited by Shadow118

Completely random, but anyone else remember the site n-sider? (yeah, the hyphen is important here :P) I used to love that site back in the day because it was one of the best repositories for legacy Nintendo info.  Pretty much one of my primary go to resources for brushing up on stuff like the story surrounding the SNES CD Add On, Hiroshi Yamauchi and passing the torch to Satoru Iwata, development stories like many of the now well known feats by Iwata and a more thorough breakdown of the origins of Retro Studios and Metroid Prime than what IGN had at the time.  Just a ton of stuff and I remember not long after joining the original Nsider community and learning about that site I spent weeks just absorbing all of those articles and expanding my knowledge on Nintendo and various goings within the industry in general.

Well, I only bring this up because it just sparked in me to see what the site has been doing in the years I haven't looked at it and it's pretty much just a shell of what it once was.  Not even the same site and no longer contains all of that information I just spent a paragraph gushing over.  But I suppose nothing gold can stay.  Just had to walk down memory lane for a bit, I suppose.

Today is one of those days where you're just so exhausted from a week that you want to do nothing more than crawl into bed, turn on animal crossing, and play with your kitty.

But I'm terrified to go back to my new leaf town and see what my years-long absence has caused so what are some good alternatives to animal crossing?

8 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

image.png.20a4c457bbeb39ec45ebf6e6d6351407.png

I’ve never understood why people complain about TP Ganondorf coming out of left field.

They quite clearly set him up at the end of the fourth dungeon out of nine. That’s less than halfway through the game.

Furthermore, Zant was nothing more than a generic mustache-twirling villain. If anything, the reveal that he was actually a total goofball underneath his helmet was what actually made him interesting.

One thing that Hyrule Warriors did right was have Zant display his craziness right from the get-go, to the point of basing his entire moveset off of it.

I don't remember Twilight Princess very well, but iirc Ganondorf just felt tacky. If we were to rewrite Twilight Princess to omit Ganondorf how much of the story would actually have to change? I can't work out the motivation for why Ganondorf was concluded which doesn't ultimately circle back to 'because NIntendo felt Zelda's final boss must be Ganondorf,'  say to better appeal to the OoT crowd or something.

Edited by Ares
33 minutes ago, Ares said:

I don't remember Twilight Princess very well, but iirc Ganondorf just felt tacky. If we were to rewrite Twilight Princess to omit Ganondorf how much of the story would actually have to change? I can't work out the motivation for why Ganondorf was concluded which doesn't ultimately circle back to 'because NIntendo felt Zelda's final boss must be Ganondorf,'  say to better appeal to the OoT crowd or something.

Zelda's history is almost entirely retreading the same ground and copying the same mechanics.

there was an interview about breath of the wild where Nintendo effectively cited newer members working on BotW who questioned a lot of the old staple mechanics as a big reason it finally went somewhere different for the first time in decades.

Just throwing this out there:

LoZ - Ganon

AoL - Not Ganon

LttP - Ganon

LA - Not Ganon

OoT - Ganon

MM - Not Ganon

OoA - Not Ganon*

OoS - Not Ganon*

FS - Not Ganon

WW - Ganon

FSA - Ganon

MC - Not Ganon

TP - Ganon

PH - Not Ganon

ST - Not Ganon

SS - Not Ganon**

ALBW - Not Ganon***

TFH - Not Ganon

BotW - Ganon

*If you play them together Ganon is technically tacked on as final boss. So if you count them as one big game, he's the final boss. If you count them as two individual games, he's not.

**Demise is the root of all of Ganon's reincarnations and the design is similar, let's call this a half-point

***Technically Yuga FUSES with Ganon and it's actually Yuga you fight, let's call this another half-point

So we've got:

OoA/OoS as 1 game - 9/18 - 50%

OoA/OoS as 2 games - 8/19 - 42%

Just now, EH_STEVE said:

*If you play them together Ganon is technically tacked on as final boss. So if you count them as one big game, he's the final boss. If you count them as two individual games, he's not.

**Demise is the root of all of Ganon's reincarnations and the design is similar, let's call this a half-point

***Technically Yuga FUSES with Ganon and it's actually Yuga you fight, let's call this another half-point

if it ends up being Ganon All Along™ it doesn't count lol