Mario Kart Tour | 🏁❗ New content ending Oct. 4th (Game NOT shutting down)

• 4 weeks later...
  • alienboyva changed the title to Mario Kart Tour (Summer 2019) | *Closed beta: 5/22 - 6/4 (JPN/USA Android users)*

Well, we all knew this was going to happen... Here's some leaked details, video, and screens from the beta (see tweet below)...

Ugghhh!!!! Portrait instead of landscape? NINTENDO, WHY?! IDK, maybe it actually works better than landscape (I guess they love that one-handed play of Super Mario Run?)? Still, they should give the option for both. Also, auto-accelerate? Hmmm... 🤔 I really like how you can play online with others, but is there no offline? 

So, there's stamina, which limits how many races you can play in a given time? Hopefully this won't be too bad, as Nintendo has been really good with the F2P aspects of their F2P games. Just look at FE Heroes and AC: Pocket Camp for example.

EDIT: Just watched the video... Damn, this looks so slow! Hopefully, that's just because of 50cc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh, oh (see tweet below)... :( 

The gacha style of monetization works well for a game like FE Heroes, but I don't think it's all that great for something like Mario Kart. Having to unlock/pay for better kart pats doesn't seem all that great, especially with the online aspect of the game (not actually real-time online, BTW).

Nintendo: Want to be the best at MK Tour? 

Gamer: YES!

Nintendo: PAY UP, SON!!! $$$$

I really hope this isn't as bad as it sounds, because like I said, Nintendo has been really good with their F2P games. 

I going to just enjoy this game for what it is, a quick pick-up and play MK game that you can play for a few mins. for when you don't have your Switch/3DS with you. If I want more in-depth MK, I'd just play one of the other MK games on SNES, N64, GCN, GBA, DS, Wii, 3DS, Wii U, Switch (preferably MK8DX on Switch).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a look at the app icon for the game (final design may change upon release)...

0hUMQT0.png?1

Edited by alienboyva
1 hour ago, Fuzzer1 said:

If this is a game where you have to buy things with actual money, then I'll just stick with MK8 Deluxe on my Switch.

You don't have to buy a thing. It works just like other gacha games where you get coins and emeralds to either buy karts, parts or get a chance at a character or the previous two things.

It's pretty interesting. Auto acceleration, so you pretty much control your movement. Manual drifting is an option which can net you purple Sparks if used (tap screen to activate, you hop beforehand). That and auto drifting you'll need time to get used to. Item use you flick forward or back to throw or place. 

You basically start with a character, Kart and glider then unlock and level up as you go. Each track has a character associated with it so certain characters, karts and gliders get advantages whether it's item slots, speed or item luck.

I haven't lost a race yet but I had a close call on Dino Dino Jungle where I somehow pulled it off. I only have 3 characters. I started with Toadette, got Peach and then Koopa Troopa. The tracks so far have been past tracks.

I'll probably pick it back up sometime tomorrow since I got through a cup & a half already. Races are two laps. Three races and a bonus game a cup. The bonus game for the first cup was a rocket boost tutorial.

The clips are probably 50cc as you do start at that speed. 200cc is an option though I'm not sure if you can pick it in the beta.

Those are my impressions so far.

29 minutes ago, The Krazy One said:

You don't have to buy a thing. It works just like other gacha games where you get coins and emeralds to either buy karts, parts or get a chance at a character or the previous two things.

Nintendo has been really good about this in their other F2P games (once again bringing up FE Heroes and AC: Pocket Camp). They are constantly giving away free premium currency and if you play regularly, you shouldn't really feel pressured to buy premium currency. 

I still play AC: Pocket Camp and I have over 3K leaf tickets (that's even with using some to buy premium items) and haven't spent any money on the game. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by alienboyva
1 hour ago, alienboyva said:

Nintendo has been really good about this in their other F2P games (once again bringing up FE Heroes and AC: Pocket Camp). They are constantly giving away free premium currency and if you play regularly, you shouldn't really feel pressured to buy premium currency. 

I still play AC: Pocket Camp and I have over 3K leaf tickets (that's even with using some to buy premium items) and haven't spent any money on the game. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I get the robo racer hate from their video and the only thing I can surmise is that it's for the beta on testing mechanics.  To have any attraction as a Mario kart game you have to race real people online.

43 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

I get the robo racer hate from their video and the only thing I can surmise is that it's for the beta on testing mechanics.  To have any attraction as a Mario kart game you have to race real people online.

Though, like they mentioned in the video, wouldn't this be something you'd want to test in a beta? I don't think the final release is going to have real-time online. Rather, I think it's just going to download data of how people last raced on that track (basically ghost data, but not a ghost). A few other mobile racing games have done this, like EA's Real Racing 3 for example.

Edited by alienboyva
1 hour ago, alienboyva said:

Though, like they mentioned in the video, wouldn't this be something you'd want to test in a beta? I don't think the final release is going to have real-time online. Rather, I think it's just going to download data of how people last raced on that track (basically ghost data, but not a ghost). A few other mobile racing games have done this, like EA's Real Racing 3 for example.

I'm not getting it regardless but....  Why would I want to race ghosts all the time?  Unless mobile connectivity is just too up and down to keep up consistent connections for real racing.

nothing escapes the internet.  I think it looks ok for what it is.

Edited by purple_beard
1 hour ago, purple_beard said:

I'm not getting it regardless but....  Why would I want to race ghosts all the time?  Unless mobile connectivity is just too up and down to keep up consistent connections for real racing.

IDK. Are you some who hates playing against CPUs? I’ve never had any issues playing against CPUs in any of the portable MK games or console MK games for that matter. Now that I think of it, MK7 did have a mode where you could race against 7 other ghosts, so this is basically what it will be like in MK Tour. I think this way would be slightly better than racing against your just standard CPUs in MK Tour. I don’t get why people are making such a big deal over this. I get they should put a disclaimer or something, since it’s not real-time online and it makes it seem like it is real-time, but still.

I think the main reason Nintendo is doing this is, because of the constant connection required for real-time online. Plus when on the go, they don’t want to eat-up people’s data plans when not near a Wi-Fi hotspot. 

Edited by alienboyva

😱😱😱😱

*VIEW AT YOUR OWN RISK!*

Spoiler

D7R-OOrV4AE0PA8.jpg:large

This whole item rush thing when you get 3 of the same item in a row seems like it could be a bit game breaking. Seriously, blue shells should be excluded from this. 😒

Edited by alienboyva
20 hours ago, alienboyva said:

IDK. Are you some who hates playing against CPUs? I’ve never had any issues playing against CPUs in any of the portable MK games or console MK games for that matter.

CPU races are fine for unlocks of content but online multiplayer is where the actual fun is.

Edited by purple_beard

I got the blue shell frenzy once and I still didn't win the race. lol;

I think it's hilarious though. Having that much power for a few seconds is exhilarating and makes the game more fun in my opinion. And if I were on the receiving end of it, I wouldn't think it'd be a big deal since races are short and it's usually inconsequential if you don't place first.

On 5/23/2019 at 7:18 PM, Chrom said:

I got the blue shell frenzy once and I still didn't win the race. lol;

I think it's hilarious though. Having that much power for a few seconds is exhilarating and makes the game more fun in my opinion. And if I were on the receiving end of it, I wouldn't think it'd be a big deal since races are short and it's usually inconsequential if you don't place first.

To be fair, the Blue shell is more of an item to screw over whoever’s in first and some other unlucky racers in front of you that get caught in between. 

I might try MKT when it comes to the apple App Store, if my iphone model isn’t obsolete by the time they launch it. I have a feeling it will be though.

• alienboyva changed the title to Mario Kart Tour | 🏁Available Sept. 25th!