Metroid Prime 4 Development update

This is wonderful news.

They could’ve easily just stapled together what they already had, released it, and made a few million sales.

But instead, they took a good hard look at it and said “You know what? This isn’t working. This isn’t what Metroid fans want. We can do better than this.”

Development must have been in a crazy kind of hell for Nintendo to be this transparent about this. 

This sucks real bad, but I can at least appreciate that Retro is working on it now, despite that most of the people that made Prime originally are no longer with Retro.  Hopefully this means their rumored Star Fox game is almost or nearly done and isn’t cancelled.

Edited by Isotope

Okay. 

On one hand I'm disappointed that MP4 is being delayed but also like.. Nintendo is doing what they got to do. I also appreciate that Nintendo is being open and transparent about this instead of being quiet and wondering if the game has been silently canceled. 

Besides, I have plenty of games to keep me busy. 

4 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Something must have gone really south for a PR video to come up about it.  Which kind of raises the question of how bad was it?  To start from  ground zero is costly (I guess it would depend on how far they got though).

And now the hype machine increases because now we are expecting something better.

Yeah I'm SUPER curious as to what exactly they were making? Was it a gameplay issue? Story? Style/visual? Or were they just like "ah fuck, we can't do this first-party anymore"?

On the one hand, MP4 is delayed for quite a while, having to start development from the beginning

On the other hand, MP4 is going back to Retro Studios

At least they were transparent about it rather than leaving us wondering should MP4 not be on a release forecast down the road

Edited by Surge135
1 hour ago, purple_beard said:

Something must have gone really south for a PR video to come up about it.  Which kind of raises the question of how bad was it?  To start from  ground zero is costly (I guess it would depend on how far they got though).

And now the hype machine increases because now we are expecting something better.

Yeah, it must have, but remember they also did this when they had to delay BotW back when it was Zelda for Wii U. Seems like they really didn't want another Other M and especially a Fed. Force reaction. I could only imagine how pissed fans would be if that happened again.

They should of just had Retro develop MP4 from the start.

Edited by alienboyva

Pretty brave of them to admit that whatever they've worked on for the past year or more is just not working and they need to start from scratch with outside help. And good for them for announcing all of this.

I wonder of this means we'll get a Nintendo Direct soon that was supposed to feature Metroid Prime 4 footage, but they've had to remove it and instead issued this notice preemptively.

Yeah, very rarely you'll hear this kind of thing from any developer, and this open too. The next closest thing is maybe from Kickstarter updates, like Bloodstained apparently changing developers a year before the announcement that they did. Now the next question is going to be, when did Retro officially started development on their version of Prime 4? A year? Month? Last week? Still, it is really bizarre to actually hear this, and like the others questioned, how bad or off the mark did the first build of the game get that they had to scrap it?

If there is going a special edition with a artbook (like the ones the Bravely or Xenoblade series got), I'd interested in that just to see what they have scrapped if they were to put them in there.

ADDON: Someone in another place mentioned the scrapping of a more story-based Doom 4 for the current viscerally violent incarnation of Doom 2016. I kinda hope that's the case here.

Edited by avalonknight

I was gonna bump the old Prime 4 thread here soon as I saw the news, but figures a new thread was made for it which is just as well.

People like to forget that Retro in its current form isn’t the same team of people from the early 2000’s who did the Prime Trilogy. Suffice to say I’m mixed on this, but them doing the game now still gives me more confidence than not knowing for certain what team was gonna develop the game to begin with (Namco or whoever).

Other than that, the restart in development was a tough pill to swallow and wake up to, especially when it’s been 2 years after the initial announcement, but the transparency is still appreciated and preferable to a cancellation, and being reminded that such quality control exists is reassuring.

Obligatory Miyamoto quote aside, this tweet I saw kinda summed it up best for me.

Edited by Ridley Prime