Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid coming to Nintendo Switch

While I'm only ever into Power Rangers anymore for the nostalgia, wouldn't call myself a Mighty Morphin purist per se, but it and some of those other eras included there does intrigue me. My only question/concern is, where are the Zords?

Looks like a promising fighter regardless for being like $20 from what I hear, and will even have crossplay apparently. I'm definitely getting this on the Switch though. For the most part, my only other Power Ranger gaming experience was the fighting game on the SNES which I only got to play through emulators as well as the couple Mighty Morphin beat 'em ups the SNES had. Unlike the underwhelming Power Rangers Mega-Battle arcade game that came out prior to when the Mighty Morphin reboot film happened in '17, I'm hopeful that this game will actually be a blast from the past.

• 1 month later...

Those combos with the Dragonzord look good, and I hope that's a sign of more zord combos being in the game. My favorite ranger is Tommy Oliver's White Ranger, so I would love to be able to bring out the White Tigerzord and Falconzord for combos. Most of the sixth rangers have zords that are iconic to them. I have the feeling that at most only Tommy Oliver's Power Rangers would get that kind of treatment, probably excluding Red Turbo, but I would like to be wrong. Even if it doesn't reach that kind of potential, I think the fan service of just seeing so many Power Rangers that I grew up with together in the same game would be worth $20 if that's the price.

18 hours ago, IU said:

Those combos with the Dragonzord look good, and I hope that's a sign of more zord combos being in the game. My favorite ranger is Tommy Oliver's White Ranger, so I would love to be able to bring out the White Tigerzord and Falconzord for combos. Most of the sixth rangers have zords that are iconic to them. I have the feeling that at most only Tommy Oliver's Power Rangers would get that kind of treatment, probably excluding Red Turbo, but I would like to be wrong. Even if it doesn't reach that kind of potential, I think the fan service of just seeing so many Power Rangers that I grew up with together in the same game would be worth $20 if that's the price.

I prefer the Green Ranger as far as Tommy but I wouldn't mind White Ranger with Tiger/Falcon Zord moves either. The more the merrier. Since Goldar was most recently revealed, the only one left from the Mighty Morphin era I'd really like to have personally (at least as a villain) is Lord Zedd, but will take whatever I can get.

And yep, it's $20. Has cross-play too even between all platforms, though still feels like it'd be most fun to play on the Switch. Some of the other characters shown so far as pointed out, are what-if comic continuity characters, like Lord Drakkon which is a version of Tommy that stays evil, and has the power of both White and Green Ranger from what I understand, and "Ranger Slayer" pink which is a version of Kimberly brainwashed by evil Tommy.

Tommy Oliver aside, I really like Jason Lee Scott too, and while it's nice to see him back as the Mighty Morphin Red Ranger, would've liked to see his Zeo Gold Ranger form too, but again... At least the roster's got someone from Super Mega Force, Space Patrol Delta, and Lost Galaxy, so it's decently representing the other eras to a point.

Since this is kind of a lower budget game (hence the $20 price), I guess you won't see the full bodies of the zords in the attack animations, only the hands like with the Dragon Zord finger missiles, but still looks like a fun colorful game that Power Rangers is lucky to have in this day and age.

• 2 weeks later...

I could end up spending a chunk of money next week now with this game and Yoshi's Crafted World coming next Friday. Fortunately, I get paid next week, so I should be able to get both titles and maybe get around to replacing my left Joy-Con. I hope this game hits my nostalgia as hard as it should. Next weekend will definitely be solid.

4 hours ago, IU said:

I could end up spending a chunk of money next week now with this game and Yoshi's Crafted World coming next Friday. Fortunately, I get paid next week, so I should be able to get both titles and maybe get around to replacing my left Joy-Con. I hope this game hits my nostalgia as hard as it should. Next weekend will definitely be solid.

After just looking more into this game upon learning the release date, I found out there's a collector's edition that's worth twice as much, though I'll still be getting the regular for $20. The collector's edition comes with some extra skins and a fighter pass which contains 3 characters, but you can buy those individually when the game comes out.

I'll wait and see what the first DLC characters are and support the game with a little extra money within reason. I hope for you that they add Tommy's White Ranger as DLC at whatever point, and if Lord Zedd is one of the first DLC's I'll definitely be getting him, along with Jason as the Gold Ranger if they decide to add that.

The extra skins by the way (aside from the Green Ranger V2 skin for pre-ordering) are Jason's Red Ranger with the dragon shield & flute (remember, when Tommy was temporarily gone in Mighty Morphin, Jason borrowed his power until he came back), a classic MMPR Pink Ranger skin for the "Ranger Slayer" (the alternate timeline Kimberly who was brainwashed by Lord Drakkon), and some other skin for Lord Drakkon... I'll be getting the first couple skins at least. You can see them on the Switch e-shop as a preview, though they won't be available to buy until the game's out of course.

The base game/roster I guess is serviceable enough for $20, but I'll keep an eye out for all the post-release content and determine what's worth getting for me. I plan to be as selective with Smash Ultimate's DLC lineup also, as I'm not the kind to buy a fighter pass without knowing all whose in it. Can consider a fighter pass if enough of the characters in it appeal to me, but I'm also fine with just buying whatever DLC character individually. Depends on what's cheaper I guess.

Tried it out a little while before having to go to work soon. First impressions...

Game is pretty good once you start to get more of a grasp on the gameplay, though you'll get messed up pretty bad if you're cornered with how spammable certain closeup attacks become. I don't know if it's because I got it on Switch, but I'm not sure if there's an option for private rooms/matches sadly. When I did casual match it just automatically searched and put me straight into a fight, with someone who was a much higher level than me no less. Learning the basics and going through some arcade mode was fun enough to say I got my $20 worth, but guess will have to wait till there's more content/characters to see how invested I remain in it.

7 hours ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

Binge In Space on Netflix if you can. Great series. 

I agree in Space is cool but there's a season before in Space, Turbo.

I though that was interesting take, for some reason I like the movie a bit ore than the season. This is the only Power Ranger movie that the show picked up from, not like the first movie were they introduce a new story in how they got Ninja powers.

5 hours ago, DLurkster said:

I agree in Space is cool but there's a season before in Space, Turbo.

I though that was interesting take, for some reason I like the movie a bit ore than the season. This is the only Power Ranger movie that the show picked up from, not like the first movie were they introduce a new story in how they got Ninja powers.

Right and that first movie isn't even canon to the tv series. I did like Turbo A Power Rangers movie. The series itself was lacking. You can tell that it was time to move on with the cast. When they did the power transfer half way through the season, it really did give life to the series. If you don't want to binge Turbo all you need to know is that the Zeo team pretty much handed over their powers half way through Turbo to a new crew and that crew continues to In Space.

6 minutes ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

Right and that first movie isn't even canon to the tv series. I did like Turbo A Power Rangers movie. The series itself was lacking. You can tell that it was time to move on with the cast. When they did the power transfer half way through the season, it really did give life to the series. If you don't want to binge Turbo all you need to know is that the Zeo team pretty much handed over their powers half way through Turbo to a new crew and that crew continues to In Space.

That is true half way thru power of transfer seemed kind of half-assed. Like the first time they did that with Zach, Jason, and Trini to Adam, Rocky and Aisha was more compelling and made sense outside and in the series itself.

Like the only one left from the new trio with that turbo transfer was Adam for crying out loud. Tommy shouldn't went out like that but whatever it happened and the new guys did bring new life with the show with Justin. The ending of Turbo was pretty sick but also sad.

11 hours ago, DLurkster said:

That is true half way thru power of transfer seemed kind of half-assed. Like the first time they did that with Zach, Jason, and Trini to Adam, Rocky and Aisha was more compelling and made sense outside and in the series itself.

Like the only one left from the new trio with that turbo transfer was Adam for crying out loud. Tommy shouldn't went out like that but whatever it happened and the new guys did bring new life with the show with Justin. The ending of Turbo was pretty sick but also sad.

My problem with the Zeo/Turbo arc was they didn't explain why they couldn't use the Zeo powers anymore. Or rather, what made the Turbo powers that much better? I thought the Zeo Crystal's power was that it was supposed to get stronger over time, thus making the Zeo rangers better over time. Plus they had a whole roster of Zords to their dismantle. I remember reading that they had early drafts of the Turbo movie discussing what happens, but they left it out. Maybe the comics will explain it someday if they haven't already. The Turbo transfer made sense to me in a sense that ratings were down and the main characters made a mutual agreement to move on. Though I have to go back and watch Linkara to confirm this. Plus I remember watching the Turbo episode where they graduated from Angel Grove High. 

We have to remember that this was a kid's show, with Saban worried more about their budgets than story. There are a lot of things they did right, like the Turbo ending. But there are other things they could have executed better, just like Tommy's exit. Though in fairness he did get redeemed with Forever Red and Dino Thunder. Also felt like the Zeo Rangers could have made an appearance in Countdown to Destruction even as archive footage when everyone was fighting enemies of old. 

Ah, I forgot that Zeo crystals were suppose to make them stronger after what happened with their ninja powers. So yeah the reason why they had to go Turbo and where and how these powers came about is strange. I like the vehicles from that season, tho.

Yeah, I'm aware of forever red and and Dino Thunder run for Tommy, pretty cool

• 2 weeks later...

Voice acting being added? That was unexpected, but I look forward to hearing JDF's evil laughter as Tommy/Lord Drakkon, among other things, even if some of it's just recordings of older lines.

Trini as a tank kind of fighter is nice as well, in addition to the Dragon Zord looking skin. Also like that they added Billy from the Mighty Morphin reboot movie as one of the free added characters.

There will also be a story mode added it seems.

• 3 weeks later...

Not gonna lie, this game got me curious enough to check out the Shattered Grid comics storyline in full, and glad I did. Now I’m ready to experience the story mode whenever. JDF for Tommy/Drakkon aside, also glad they got Austin St John back to voice Jason from the looks of it.