Crash Team Racing: 3/26 Update

Wrapped up Papu Papu  boss battle.

Finally getting somewhat of a hang of the boosting mechanic.

Pretty decent tracks and graphics so far.  Some took me no time to beat, others.... kept being so close yet so far and just kept on re-racing it.  Crash and Neo Cortex had similar stats so I did Crash for a good while but I think I might have settled in on the guy with the rocket on his head.  Kind of waiting to see who else gets unlocked before I go final on my racer.

I just got this afternoon and I have to agree with "B" to accelerate is dumb. I would get used to drifting but what is throwing off it that every time to start it, you hop. I don't know if I'll get used to that but it's only been a few hours since playing so I can judge harshly yet. But the alternative controls would be alright if the drift button isn't the "B". Like you did well with the alternative making accelerate the "ZR" button but why the fuck would make drifting the "B"?!? You could made "R" so why, so why huh?!?

Is A always the accelerate button in Mario Kart? I can't remember, but I'm a veteran of CTR so driving with the bottom button feels perfectly natural to me. Also, once you understand how it works, the drift mechanic is very satisfying and intuitive imo. I enjoy having to work a little bit for those boosts, trying to time out the button presses perfectly.

I played for a bit yesterday, did a couple online races but mostly adventure mode. Got to the point where I've just unlocked the final area, but I haven't gone back to any races to get relics or tokens yet. The unlock thresholds for certain skins seems a bit high to me, like winning 10 races to get a simple palette swap, but it's better than not having that extra stuff at all I suppose.

6 hours ago, DLurkster said:

I just got this afternoon and I have to agree with "B" to accelerate is dumb. I would get used to drifting but what is throwing off it that every time to start it, you hop. I don't know if I'll get used to that but it's only been a few hours since playing so I can judge harshly yet. But the alternative controls would be alright if the drift button isn't the "B". Like you did well with the alternative making accelerate the "ZR" button but why the fuck would make drifting the "B"?!? You could made "R" so why, so why huh?!?

Yeah, I am not a fan of the control options but once I started putting in the time to race it became less of an issue but its still kind of hard to break the mental lock from playing MK for so long.

2 hours ago, Young P said:

Is A always the accelerate button in Mario Kart? I can't remember, but I'm a veteran of CTR so driving with the bottom button feels perfectly natural to me. Also, once you understand how it works, the drift mechanic is very satisfying and intuitive imo. I enjoy having to work a little bit for those boosts, trying to time out the button presses perfectly.

I played for a bit yesterday, did a couple online races but mostly adventure mode. Got to the point where I've just unlocked the final area, but I haven't gone back to any races to get relics or tokens yet. The unlock thresholds for certain skins seems a bit high to me, like winning 10 races to get a simple palette swap, but it's better than not having that extra stuff at all I suppose.

I'm not against them upgrading/expanding drifting mechanics over what MK as a series offers but its kind of taking me out of a lot of drifts....  It might just be I'm not super familiar with the courses or my racer of choice yet but I also think its more also that this game involves a lot more to the old school hopping technique that hasn't really been in MK since the SNES one.

I might wrap up ice before bed tonight as far as my own progress goes.

To that point though, I remember hating some of the challenge courses because of hit boxes ( I am also noticing odd hit box/out of bounds stuff on tracks and sometimes it registers as bad and sometimes not).  I guess I am doing ok on unlockables.  Really just trying to get into the game and the tracks first, then really start hankering down for perfecting skills.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of hopping technique you're referring to as I haven't played the SNES Mario Kart that much. But you don't need to do any hopping to make turns, you just hold down the R button for the whole turn and press L at the right moments to get your boosts. The R button itself does make you hop initially, but you just press and hold it to drift like you'd expect.

Whatever you do, don't go against the N. Tropy Time Trial Challenges. They really test your skill and mastery of this game, and even though I love this game, they're the ONE thing I hate about this game. Sure, it does unlock another character... but their stats are most likely like the rest of their class, so it's more of bragging rights. My mental capacity can never take the BS that is old school time trial. Especially a hardcore game like this.  

What's so special about a time travel cyborg anyways?! There are better time travelers in video games! ... Lucina comes to mind... Crono and his pals... Mario and Luigi technically count. The Messenger... Sonic... Trunks from Dragon Ball Z... Bayonetta... Link... Plus, he's not a big deal, as the main villain is Nitros Oxide to begin with. What makes N. Tropy so unique?! Trying to get him is not worth it.

I now realized that this game might be harder than the typical kart racers because... there is basically little to no rubber banding and items that can make an 8th player go to 1st in an instant. In essence, this game is a lot more skill-based and maybe the hardest game to master. ...Until I went against N. Tropy, I never had a huge problem with this game. ... Okay, there are the bosses, but they just spam items like there's no tomorrow. As for the challenges... some of the lighting effects makes it really impossible to see some of the CTR letters, and the third crystal challenge can be a real pain, but they're not impossible. Very frustrating at times, but possible if you remember the routes to the nearest crystal. I haven't played this game maybe since the original came out, and I surprised myself when I was able to full beat adventure mode. Again, time trial mode can %$^%#^%#$^%$^#%$ $%$#%$#@%$@#%@# %$#@%@$#%@%@ $#@%$#@%@$#%$@#% %$@#%$#%@#% %$#@%$#%$@#%# %$#%@$#%@$#%@ 

$%@$#%$@#%#@ $%#%@$#%$#@%@#% %$@#%$@#%$#@%@$# T%$#%$#%$#@%@# $@#%@$#%$#@%@% #$%#$@%#@%$@#%@ $%%%@$#%# for all I care. I admit there are some flaws, but it is a faithful recreation of the base game, even though I think the soundtrack has maybe gotten worse. (And I really loved a lot of the music from the original.)

https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/crash_team_racing_nitro-fueled

A very interesting comment about Wumpa coins, unlocks, and DLC.....paid DLC....

They did hit on a lot of things with the game though.  The loading times are borderline unacceptable for a game in 2019 on "modern" hardware--it does feel like I could literally go to the bathroom, or get a drink, or get a snack before I start my race.  ...And why does it take so long to load a simple trophy screen after winning the race.  I agree that the AI is pretty tough and it really might just take super mastery of how this game controls to win the races.  Also, kind of how to cheat the race with your mechanics to get the jumps when you need them to land or short cut areas for time shaving.  I played a few online races last night and tried some tracks out I haven't gotten to in story mode.  Some pretty good designs IMO.

1 hour ago, XLW said:

Haven't had too many problems with online. Maybe with matchmaking and a guy who I think illegally cheated, but I've been first a few times here and there.  

As for the DLC... I hope there isn't a super specific thing to do to get Spyro. Yes, my dragon pal is coming as well. 

Yeah, online was fairly quick in picking up matches.

Had to get in on the DLC special earning period.

I got some decent stuff tonight for how long I played.  Got that tiger striped jeep, got a dune buggy, and got some neon yellow wheels.  I had to stop but I was close to getting another racer but went for vehicles first.

Also, what ticked me off was the old Chevy convertible they had, with the flames, came up as an unlockable AFTER I bought the tiger striped jeep.

Probably get on Sunday night to get more stuff.

@Fuzzer1

@XLW

@Young P

I thought I remembered someone saying the server connections were BS when they got the game.  But that isn't why I'm posting this, I'm posting this in that I did some of the DLC weekend and was earning bonuses and a crazy clip but that period should still be going on and the online stuff I only had like one hour today of bonus earning marks, all other earned stuff was like normal for what I did.  Has their been server issues with bonuses not coming in/earned correctly for stuff?