Crash Team Racing: 3/26 Update

I really do love the tracks, racers, karts, paints, skins, ect in this game BUT...

This Wumpa Coin Shop crap is really starting to bug me.  Half my matches last night didn't get both bonuses tied to the weekend grand prix.  Then, the character, kart, paint, tire bundle I had been racing like hell to save up the coinage to get drops out of the shop right before I have the amount to get it and thus I have to go for other stuff--and this happens way to often in my book.

10 hours ago, XLW said:

Okay, so the Grand Prix racers are “coming back soon”, and now I can change my character’s driving style. ... What?

Yeah.

There is a driver/control type selection now.  I choose balanced.  I have to say though, that in comparison to MK, I feel like sometimes the drifting control scheme doesn't register like it should, almost like you have to reset it mid drift instead of just starting over automatically.  I also don't get how for half a day yesterday, the 5x bonus didn't show up.  Also, the Nina's Nightmare course at some points over the weekend completely dropped data from the track and I was racing in a no mans land till I finally could get out of where I was and back in to the real track--  like from just before "the great pumpkin" till the haunted mansion's entrance it was like all the track graphics/world got dumped....  I had floating pumpkins and all kind of weird stuff yet all the track obstacles were still registering so you had to navigate it almost blind to get out.

FWIW, that Special Plane Kart I linked to is $5.

But I tell you what did piss me off when I went to the eshop to see what the price was, apparently, the game on Switch had two versions, normal and Nitro, Nitro being $20 more.  I never saw Nitro as a version to buy physical and it seems like it included a lot more skins and what not for that price difference.

Well, damn, that version was a GS exclusive for physical..... eshop had both

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/switch/games/products/crash-team-racing--nitro-fueled-nitros-oxide-and-pin-bundle-only-at-gamestop/10175043.html

Edited by purple_beard

Well, finally beat Story Mode.

As I recall, CTR token races, Relic Races, and Crystal collections were a major pain in the ass in the older version of the game so I expect the same here.  Not sure how bad I want to tackle that.

What somewhat makes this feat satisfying is getting passed Hot Air Skyway.  That damn shortcut's sensitivity to working properly was a major pain the ass--I literally hadn't really tried to beat it in over a month since getting to it was pissing me off so bad.  Then looked up a tip for it, experimented for over 30 minutes making sure it worked for me, and then took forever trying to win that damn race.  Advanced to that mafia rat boss and remember him being a pain as well.  His bomb trajectory tossing is way too accurate and/or spammy at points.  And in his race I hit a wall making the shortcut work so I had to not use it and I got with 5s or less A TON till I finally pulled it off.

I smoked Nitros Oxide in his race.... too bad I have to do other challenges to earn him as a racer.

Edited by purple_beard
6 hours ago, JimTheborg said:

Yeah, been having a hard time with that as well. But heck, finally finished it.

Its annoying of how precise it has to be to work right, and on top of that my man's bomb diarrhea gets super annoying, super fast.

Speaking of annoying, the server connections and bonus doublers for this game are always super wonky.  I kept seeing crazy bonuses  for like a few races then even if was showing the multipliers, I was getting on 1x rate.

Also, experience was notoriously slow earning and it took me nearly 3 hours of racing to just eek into getting that chandelier looking cart.  I really do want to score that other tire set this weekend.  The decals and skins I can live with not scoring.

@XLW

@JimTheborg

I think there was an update last night sometime for the game that put back in the Spyro content for the in-game wumpa coin shop.

So, YES, I GOT SPYRO bought tonight.

Going to try to save up to get another big multipack of stuff, hopefully the Komodo Moe one.... but if that devil dog one comes back up.... I want that spectral red.  Might also opt in for a Spyro pack if it comes up.

As of yet, I have not seen the Prehistoric stuff come back.  I wanted that Back to the Future-esque car from that set....

Anyways, I bought the DLC plane last night.  I like it...its just kind of weird that you can't custom paint it.  I do like using it though.  It does kind of feel weird to use it and thus have no wheels to choose from.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Races the new track tonight --not bad.  However, it feels like a deconstructed roos  tubes track with the water drained and a rusted over look to the structures left.  The new cars look like slightly modified versions of others, same with some wheels, but the new paint jobs look sweet.  Looks like the new characters might be new but kind of like a mad max fury road treatment to their look.

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/02/the_next_grand_prix_for_crash_team_racing_nitro-fueled_will_be_the_last_one

Wow, finally down to the final one.

Cool that they are still looking at doing more adds though.

I think their FREE DLC has been more than a fair value for what you get.   I mean each pack has had ONE Course, THREE +/-  NEW Character drivers,  multiple Alt Skins, multiple paint jobs, multiple cars and car parts.

And honestly, think the multiple challenge type earning means has been fair but I think the in-game cost of buying the items via the shop seems a little stiff unless you play the game like all day, every day to earn stuff.  While I think the buying wumpa coins outright does feel kind of cheap, I can't argue against them hooking you up with a bonus to what you buy.

https://blog.activision.com/crash-bandicoot/2020-03/Crash-Team-Racing-Nitro-Fueled-Post-Grand-Prix-Content-Announced

I saw a update come up on my Switch today for CTR and so I got on tonight to see what it was about.  Some pretty cool stuff.

I'm really debating about dumping more real $ into wumpa coins though....  I know its cosmetic stuff but I kind of like a lot of the cosmetics and to hit the sweet sports for earning boosts its like my best way to get them.

• 3 weeks later...