Digital Foundry brought up an interesting idea for NSMBUDLX on Switch

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/01/video_digital_foundry_takes_a_look_at_super_mario_bros_u_deluxe_on_switch

His idea in his analysis video really got my mind humming.  Why didn't they do a Mario Maker graphics switching mechanic to the game seeing as they had the assets kind of in place with Mario Maker and MM had that style incorporated.

I also think that experiencing that graphical switching  in Mario Maker along with Dragon's Trap last year really makes me thing that being able to change up graphical styles could be a SUPER COOL gimmick on any next entry in the NSMB series.

That is cool and all but what would be the reason?

Is it just for cosmetic reason or that just because you can and it there then why not switch the style.

Honestly, I'm not in a position to say that at this point this series for Mario is so played out (for me and some, I guess) so would putting this in really make comeback for the series?

That would actually be pretty cool. I might have considered getting the game if they did so. 

I’m all up for more side-scrolling SMB, though at this point, I’m kind of burned out on the NSMB games. Mainly, I’m just tired of the art style. I mean, it was cool and all on the DS, but after NSMB Wii, I was hoping they’d change it up. 

Edited by alienboyva

If they go back to a 2 Mario game not in the Mario Maker line, the definitely need to modernize it with graphical upgrades and other stuff making it just a more modern experience than a mid 00's reboot feel like the series started as.  And IMO, they already had the building blocks to work with in some ways with those 2D Mario levels from Odyssey.