Switch Pro coming this year?

1 hour ago, DLurkster said:

No, you're talking about the USB C port on the console, when put that port which connects to connector on the dock, that's how a image show up on your TV throw the HDMI port on the dock via HDMI cord.

Putting HDMI port without the need of the dock is what he saying wants, which is obviously feasible because it's a standard of a standard. Honestly to me that's non-issue and this coming from some who plays dock more than handheld.

I can't remember if the portable docks is what is making the system brick or it is simply normal 3rd party docks doing it. If asking to put put HDMI on the console will fix that sure by all means go for it but do that and you break what makes the Switch the Switch in my opinion. Yes, the Switch allows anyone to play the systems anyway you like but take that away and you just have another console.

BRUH

On the Switch itself, yes it has a USBC port at the bottom but on the dock it sends the video out via HDMI.

And if you bypass a dock all together, you aren't going to use a HDMI cord as your charging cable.  Now, a lot of more modern tvs have USB ports on the back so you could do USB - USB video and charging ( I guess).

But, the point is, a Switch as a portable only takes away from it being a SWITCH.  The whole point of the Switch is a home/portable hybrid.  They could very well sell the switch without a dock at all ...but money wise, a customer would have to play that price vs. benefit game and I don't know if a $80 knock off via not having a dock makes a portable only Switch a good deal because if you want to get a dock you should have just bought the combo pack to begin with.  I actually do wonder how much margin there is in that dock though...

11 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

BRUH

On the Switch itself, yes it has a USBC port at the bottom but on the dock it sends the video out via HDMI.

And if you bypass a dock all together, you aren't going to use a HDMI cord as your charging cable.  Now, a lot of more modern tvs have USB ports on the back so you could do USB - USB video and charging ( I guess).

But, the point is, a Switch as a portable only takes away from it being a SWITCH.  The whole point of the Switch is a home/portable hybrid.  They could very well sell the switch without a dock at all ...but money wise, a customer would have to play that price vs. benefit game and I don't know if a $80 knock off via not having a dock makes a portable only Switch a good deal because if you want to get a dock you should have just bought the combo pack to begin with.  I actually do wonder how much margin there is in that dock though...

You have to wonder if Nintendo thought of using USB to USB video but one not a lot TV have that and two if they wanted to fulfill what they couldn't with the Wii U they had to go the dock route with Switch for this console to be like it is today a success.

I really don't see how the next level of Switch comes without a dock. Is this really still something ppl still wish Switch didn't have dock?!? Really, now?!?

If you want play video games like usual buy a PS4 or a Xbox One. Some don't want a Switch because they really don't like the sacrifice with big 3rd party titles, that's fine, that's cool but to take away what makes the Switch and remove the dock, that is there because it's a option dammit. That's beyond irrational to me and you are better off with another console imo.

Edited by DLurkster

To elaborate on my HDMI request: I move my Switch around frequently, but I only have 1 dock.

I move the entire unit between my bedroom and my living room on a near daily basis. Yesterday, I had it in my bedroom from the night before, moved it to my living room for the evening, and then moved it back to play in bed for a while before sleeping. The same routine repeats frequently.

I also take it to friends house, parents house, etc. and have to carry the dock with me.

Just being able to use an HDMI cable to quickly plug the unit in to a TV would save me a lot of hassle.

I'm still thinking it'll just be a Lite/S/Slim situation here if there is a new version of the Switch coming this year, it's still early in the system's life. If you want a New/X/Pro situation, I'll say 2020 the earliest.

The main changes I'll see in the new in terms of hardware is it being more power efficient, and therefore, better battery life. More RAM, and more internal storage, maybe 128GB. But I don't see something like the CPU and GPU fundimentally change. If there is going to something added in, maybe a dedicated chip to handle video recording for games that didn't support it before and therefore reducing the stress on the CPU or GPU.

I'm curious if we even see a revision this year but I'm hesitant to believe that there will be a revision that resorts to being handheld only.  But stranger things have happened and if there is a high margin on those docks then I could see Nintendo pushing a less expensive dockless package that leaves the option open for people to make the product whole by buying a dock later if they so choose.  But that's more of a package revision rather than a product one if everything else stays the same.

Hope it has way better joycons. The ones I have... I'm not that impressed with. My left one just started squeaking, only been moderately using my system. Only around 4 hours on Mario Kart, around 20 on Pokemon Quest and around 50 on Let's Go (other hours not included). Have to take the joycons in to be exchanged.

Edited by Doc Brown