what do you do for a living?

fuzz

Been thinking about work lately as I'm going to be graduating from college soon, and with a job search on the horizon I've been thinking about what I'm going to try and look for in these next coming months. I've worked retail jobs and currently work advising students at my university, and while I'm excited to go into a STEM career once I graduate, I still think of all of the other possibilities and interests I have otherwise that I might want to go into - worrying about being unfulfilled. People seem to have a lot of different perspectives on work - some want to find something they love and say they "never work a day in their life", and others want to work somewhere that pays them enough so that they can do what they want and be fulfilled in their free time. Still don't know where I stand on that, do you?

What do you do for money? Do you enjoy it? What would be your dream job? I'm curious to hear what y'all think~

I've been working as a software developer for the same company for over three years now. I landed an internship at the end of my second year towards a bachelor of computer science degree. They kept me on during my final year (bachelor's degrees in NZ are 3 years, not 4) and I've been working full-time there since graduating.

For the most part, I'm incredibly satisfied with this job. I'm tackling new challenges almost every day, and the company's values align well with my own. In many ways I would call it a dream job because I'm happy here and don't really have any aspirations to go elsewhere. The work/life balance is superb and I'm paid well for my efforts. My salary has increased by more than 70% in these three years.

My only complaint is that sometimes the job can be a bit slow - particularly around the holidays. I suppose that's to be expected when dealing primarily with delivering and maintaining projects for clients, though.

I dunno, I'm just really satisfied with where I'm at in general. I feel like I'm pretty much coasting and enjoying life at this point.

I had been working as a stocker for nearly the last 7 years in a more niche retail store, but I now process clothes for that same store due to an issue that has come up with a co-worker. On most days, I'm good while I'm at work when there's work to do. Busy work drives me insane some days when things are slow and I feel like I'm wasting my time on those shifts. It helps that there's a radio back in the warehouse that I can set to music I want to hear for most of the shift, which really helps the time and work flow better. Pay is not enough to live on in my area on my own, which is steadily causing me to think of looking into another job and making me think about community college more.

The negativity of where I'm at bogs me down mainly when I wake up and the couple of hours leading into a shift. I'm fortunate that those thoughts don't occur everyday for me as it would probably be to the point of looking for professional help to talk about depression. My sleep pattern hasn't been the best either since 2017 as it seems I keep staying up later and later. At first, I was going to bed around 2:30am, then it went to a little after 3:00am and now I'm hitting near 4:00am more regularly. I'm glad that my job has been stable even if it doesn't pay as much as I would like at this point, as 2019 is a year I feel like I really need to get out more and expand my horizons to move on from certain issues I've been having.

quit my last regular job while dealing with really awful depression at the time.
just been streaming since then
i make almost nothing. no right to call it a job even. and it's bitten me in the ass often y;
but i'm alive somehow and feel better despite it all.
probably won't make it work but i'm out here tryin anyway cause i'm not cut out mentally for the soulless work i can actually land
makes me feel like a zombie every day psyduck;

i work for goodwill in the back warehouse sorting donated clothes that we send out to all the stores in the state to sell. occasionally we'll go to those other stores to help them out if they're understaffed or their warehouse has gone to shit; we're kind of like the A-team bc we know what we're doing. no customers for 99% of the job, we're generally just back in our warehouse doing our thing. 

it pays peanuts and my boss is abusive, so despite liking the type of work, its hell on earth. i don't have any formal education past high school (which is how i like it, honestly), so most of my work experience comes from retail in some form or another. a dream job for me...would be something i can be passionate about again. but for now i'd settle for something that at least allows me to afford my rent AND food in exchange for how hard i work. y; 

Where I ended up after Toys R Us closed down.

H3hjlQ.gif

Isn't as bad as I thought a Fast Food job would be. Making minimum wage doing opening maintenance, fry station (dropping sides, chicken/fish in the fryer), frontline (register & cleaning lobby), passing out ready orders and drive-thru on rare occasion.

Most Boring- Frontline

Prefer not to work- Drive-Thru (see it as Frontline but worse)

For me it's just a job. The first place I've worked without a family member being involved. Been there for almost 5 months. About 7 people have left or gotten fired since I've been there. Usually get around 30 hours a week or more since I occasionally get asked to stay for a few more hours during a shift. For a while it was 6 day work weeks but it's down to 5 now. Worked 8 days straight declining to take someone's shift on the 8th day because it was my only day off that Saturday. Schedule is never done on time. Work week starts on Mondays end on Sundays.

I hate working the register because of some of the people I have to deal with. Because of Frontline duties and how they schedule some people I can't get the lobby cleaned at a good time before it's time to go because of having to go back to the front whenever customers come in, so whenever I work Frontline, I never get off on time.

Other than that it's not too bad. It's no Toys R Us, but that environment will never happen again. I'd honestly like to do something gaming industry related (not Gamestop).

I work for a nonprofit organization that helps people with disabilities. Primarily developmental disabilities like the Autism spectrum, but also people in wheelchairs or with cerebral palsy.

There are two main departments that I work in: Supported Employment Services (SES), and California Community Transitions (CCT).

In SES, we help disabled people look for jobs and support them by assigning a "job coach". Job coaches go with our clients to their work sites and support them by doing things like taking notes about how to complete their tasks, or helping them remain focused when they get distracted or overwhelmed.

In CCT, we help seniors move from nursing homes into their own apartments. I don't know as much about the details because I just started in this department a few months ago.

I don't directly work with the clients in either department. Instead, I'm in charge of organizing all the paperwork that comes in every month, or copying case notes into a database.

It's not the job that I wanted to have as a kid, but my bosses and coworkers make me feel so appreciated that I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Work as  a manager at a large retailer that is having its own struggles.  I've held sales, and by job title three management positions there,  for a tenure of 21 years in March.

If things don't go well this year I could be in the market for a new job and quite possibly a new career path not involving retail at all.  I'm just not sure I want to deal with retail any more and I am also not sure if a sitting behind a desk kind of job is a good fit either.  The bottom line though is, I can't be without a full time job for very long, too much to take care of.

My main side gig, if it were to be a job, would have to end up being freelance as most staff positions for photography would be through a news paper unless you run your own studio.  I wouldn't be the case for the later.  Also, I'd like to keep my side gig still going as its provided me unprecedented access to sporting events I would have been a fan in the stands otherwise.

I'm an inventory demand planner. I coordinate with the live and processed sales teams for our lobster division, as well as with our procurement manager and make sure we bring in enough product of the right sizes to sell on the live side of the business, as well as tell the production team what to process the lobster into for the processed/frozen side (claws, tails, splits, whole, etc) and make sure all the sales divisions around the world have the right products on hand in their localized warehouses to fulfill forecasted sales. Been here 7 years, all in the lobster department, slowly moving up I guess. The pay isn't super, but it's good enough. The benefits are great, there's a retirement plan, gym membership, and no dress code or strict work hours. And as you can see, no internet restrictions either. And since my department is very seasonal based on fishing seasons, I've actually just watched movies or written short-stories on the slow days. Also my manager is super chill and let's me take way more vacation time than I'm allowed.

On 1/6/2019 at 11:14 AM, wildflower said:

i work for goodwill in the back warehouse sorting donated clothes that we send out to all the stores in the state to sell. occasionally we'll go to those other stores to help them out if they're understaffed or their warehouse has gone to shit; we're kind of like the A-team bc we know what we're doing. no customers for 99% of the job, we're generally just back in our warehouse doing our thing. 

it pays peanuts and my boss is abusive, so despite liking the type of work, its hell on earth. i don't have any formal education past high school (which is how i like it, honestly), so most of my work experience comes from retail in some form or another. a dream job for me...would be something i can be passionate about again. but for now i'd settle for something that at least allows me to afford my rent AND food in exchange for how hard i work. y; 

19 hours ago, ace said:

I work as a cook in a supermarket. 

It it makes me want to kill myself 

my people flower;

Retail.  I'm a flex where I can basically be put anywhere but I predominantly work early mornings as head managing markdowns/clearance with merchandising, or backroom work like processing and running freight.  Mental health problems keep me from working full time because my anxiety/hallucinating becomes awful if I'm out in public too long, which is annoying because otherwise I know how virtually everything in the store is run and I'm effectively a coordinator without the hours or pay.

I don't have the hellish experiences most people seem to have in retail.  Maybe I'm just thick-skinned or desensitized because I've worked in awful places like the ghetto and doing far worse jobs like Gamestop.  Or roofing in July in the bay area.

My job sounds painfully boring, but I actually work for a bank doing back office support for loan documents. I talk to people when I want to talk to them, there's a great support system in place, and the best part, I don't deal with anyone in the general public.

It's honestly the job that has best suited me in years. I haven't been happier.

Is it perfect all the time? No, and right now I'm sorta the team lead, meaning I have "all the answers" to stuff, so it's a touch exhausting at times, but still I feel good about what I do for the first time in years.

6 hours ago, luca said:

Retail.  I'm a flex where I can basically be put anywhere but I predominantly work early mornings as head managing markdowns/clearance with merchandising, or backroom work like processing and running freight.  Mental health problems keep me from working full time because my anxiety/hallucinating becomes awful if I'm out in public too long, which is annoying because otherwise I know how virtually everything in the store is run and I'm effectively a coordinator without the hours or pay.

I don't have the hellish experiences most people seem to have in retail.  Maybe I'm just thick-skinned or desensitized because I've worked in awful places like the ghetto and doing far worse jobs like Gamestop.  Or roofing in July in the bay area.

This more or less sounds like me, as one also currently in retail who hasn't experienced the kind of horror stories people tell about it, apart from one time I was robbed one night prior to closing, but my mental health eventually healed from that incident and since then just learned to mind my surroundings more, etc. It's a more niche store with a police and fire station nearby, so usually doesn't attract that kind of attention compared to other areas where crime can happen more often.

I think I'm also just desensitized from worse previous jobs, like working at an assembly line which was full time. Similar health problems have made full time work unsustainable for me, though for that mentioned job it was mostly the environment that kept making me sick more often after awhile, and I usually never get sick. Gamestop was a consideration for me at one point, but I'm glad that ship sailed.

I work in a bank (in Canada, so we’re not quite as blood thirsty as I hear American banks are; although emphasis on “quite”) doing risk management work. That basically is a fancy way of saying I help my group stay out of compliance hell. Although the frustrating part is having no actual authority... People can listen or don’t, and when they don’t listen and get caught by Audit, everyone can get in trouble.

But most of my job is much more fulfilling than I expected. I got the job 3 years ago as part of a program where a non-profit organization helps place an individual with Aspergers/Autism with a partner company. Most of my peers ended up in anti-money laundering but I love where I am. They love me and my work here (with the exception of a couple people but hey that’s life). My bosses are happy so that’s the most important thing. :) 

A movie theater usher/ticket. Not sure if talking about my position would land me any trouble, or any benefits I get from it,  so I’ll post about it later if it’s okay and legal. I work at one catering mostly to the Oscars/independent/foreign scene and older adult demographic (although here and there we get kid movies), and have been there more than two years. Some days feel like a breeze, others my worst nightmare, but I can’t quit because I was quite lucky to get the job and because I had basically little to no experience that would apply to most jobs in my community. I think the reason I haven’t got fired or written up too much is because I try my hardest and I think my coworkers and managers see that, even though there are some times I wish I could’ve handled some things better. And, it’s quite close to me what I do for a hobby. The pay’s good, and even though I haven’t been promoted yet, I would probably recline due to my current “skill” level and I’m currently satisfied and content with my current lot in life. 

I also perform as an actor here and there and work spotlight for a community theater. It’s all volunteer work, because I’m not equity, but I have been with that place for most of my life, that they’re my second family. My GM at my movie theater actually likes that I do that.

Edited by XLW

Worked in retail. Liked it the first time, as my boss was pretty much a good guy. Second time around, my boss was an ass. Didn't help that some of the people I worked with were that way too. The customers for the most part were ok though. Don't regret having the job though. Learned a lot from it.

Now I'm working as a Playstation support MVP. No pay since it's volunteer work, but it's still worthwhile in terms of being able to try to help others and all that.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Chrom featured this topic

I work in the sign/printing industry. According to my job title, I manage the printers and a small group of graphic designers. What I actually do is all of that and manage a few client accounts, handle a lot of paperwork, and act as "on-site IT" to fix small problems without needing to call someone for help, among other things. I've been there for almost 13 years now, and I am quite happy with it. It provides what I need and enough flexibility to do some extra things with my time off (usually attending PAX/E3). 

Graphic design and the print industry has certainly grown into a passion of mine over the years, but my original passions were always web design and video games. I still get to scratch that itch as a volunteer director of Zelda Universe. It doesn't pay any money, but the happiness it brings me just playing a part is more than worth the time, effort, and money I put into it.

3 hours ago, WatcherJoshua said:

I work in the sign/printing industry. According to my job title, I manage the printers and a small group of graphic designers. What I actually do is all of that and manage a few client accounts, handle a lot of paperwork, and act as "on-site IT" to fix small problems without needing to call someone for help, among other things. I've been there for almost 13 years now, and I am quite happy with it. It provides what I need and enough flexibility to do some extra things with my time off (usually attending PAX/E3). 

Graphic design and the print industry has certainly grown into a passion of mine over the years, but my original passions were always web design and video games. I still get to scratch that itch as a volunteer director of Zelda Universe. It doesn't pay any money, but the happiness it brings me just playing a part is more than worth the time, effort, and money I put into it.

Long time, no see!  Glad to see you still check in every now and again. ^_^

Anyway, I guess I can finally respond to this thread after receiving some good news from some things that have been in the works for a bit. Previously, I was a supervisor at Toys R Us with nearly 12 years at the company under my belt before things went under.  Then I transitioned to a Super Target store nearby and have been working with their backroom and ship from store teams for nearly five months now.  But as of 9am this morning I was hired for a supervisory role at a brand new office in town managing one of multiple teams for auditing time and expense reports for contractors with the company all over the world.  Needless to say, it's a huge jump from what I was expecting considering I've worked retail all of my life but I count my lucky stars for the timing of everything and how incredibly awesome the recruiter I had been speaking with has been for the past few weeks.  I don't start for another few weeks yet, but I'm excited to start on a brand new career path.