Sign in to follow this  
blcdude1

Video Games Finished in 2019

Posted (edited)

Welcome to Video Games Finished in 2019! 

If you participated in prior years, you probably have an idea of what you're getting into. But if you haven't? Welcome! We encourage you to play video games. And more than just play, we encourage you to beat those video games! Do you have a backlog? Let's try to reduce that! 

As I'm flying by the seat of my pants here, there will be some kinks to iron out. But one thing we know is we'll be beating video games! So, without further ado...

GAMES BEATEN:

We're using the same criteria as the past few years:
When you beat a game, post the name and the system. That’s it. 

No photo needed. We're going by the honor system here! So don't lie! After all, it's your backlog, so the lie hurts you most of all. 

You are encouraged, but by no means required, to comment upon or rate the games you've beaten. Was it good? Was it garbage? Let us know! Or don't! It's all up to you! 

If you want a way to keep track of your backlog, go to backloggery.

RULES:

1) Make a new post when you beat a game, so I can easily see it and count it. Game and system is all you have to post. However, having either your first post be a master post or keeping a running total on each new post helps me double check and make sure scores are accurate.
2) NO EMULATORS UNLESS YOU ACTUALLY OWN THE GAME (or otherwise stated).

3) You may finish a game you started playing in a prior year and count it. That's fine. HOWEVER, please do not open up a save file from years ago that is right before the final boss, beat it, and then claim beat the game. That's cheap.
4) You can however, feel free to go back to a game you haven't played for year(s), start from the beginning and beat it and count it. That's fine. It is OK to beat the same game multiple years in a row. 

5) Beating a game multiple times in the same year will only count once. This includes the same game on different consoles, remakes, etc. Consideration is offered to DLC campaigns, such as the Octo Expansion and Torna: The Golden Country. 

6) There is no Rule 6. 

7) Digital downloads count for the system you played it on, physical copies count for the system they were made for. 

8) Mobile games in the nature of gatcha, slight story, etc such as; Fire Emblem: Heroes, Puzzle & Dragons, Star Wars: Heroes, etc, can all be considered complete after beating all stages. For example, every story mode and paralogue stage in FE:H, all normal stages in P&D, all light, dark, cantina, and mod battles in SW, etc. These requirements can change if more story missions or stages are added. Just finish the levels available to you. I won't hold it against you if you claim a gatcha game as beaten and more levels are added later. Of course, if this happens, you can't claim to beat the game a second time in the same year. 

Categories:
1) Console – Switch, Xbox One, PS4, Switch eShop, PSN, XBLA, Atari Jaguar, etc.
2) Handheld – 3DS, DS, Vita, PSP, GBC, 3DS eShop, PSN, Game Gear, etc
3) PC – PC and Steam Box
4) Mobile – Phone and Tablet games. 
5) Overall – Add up all categories above to get a total

NOTE: Since some PSN games have cross save functionality, you pick whether you beat it on PS4/PS3/PSV (if applicable).
NOTE: Physical copies of games count for their original system, digital copies of games count for the system you beat them on. You might remember this as Rule 7! 
NOTE: Emulators count as the copy of the game you must own for it to count. Owning a physical copy of that game counts as the original system, owning a digital copy counts as the system you beat it on (usually PC in this case).

Prizes:

Whoever beats the most games will earn the "Gamer of the Year" rank.

CHALLENGES:

As in years past, picture proof is required for challenges. In fact, we're just recycling the rules from last year.

You beat the challenges, you earn points! This might just be a for-fun sort of thing right now, as I haven't set up any prizes, but we'll see what we can do!

RULES:
1) You must provide picture proof of each.

2) Your Ninfora username must be visible in the picture.

3) Each person may only beat each challenge once.

4) If beaten on an emulator, you must provide proof of ownership of the legitimate copy (unless otherwise stated).

5) Challenges will be added periodically as people beat the older ones.

6) If a previously beaten game with proof completes a newly added challenge, just make a note of it in your next update post.

7) You are in charge of keeping track of this section if you are participating. I will only be checking to make sure the games you are claiming for each challenge actually meet the credentials. I will not be pouring over games beaten lists to see if you beat challenges and did not post about them.

Bronze (Worth 1 point each) 

1) Tenth Anniversary: Beat a game initially released in 2009.

2) And They're Off: Beat a racing game.

3) Simply Spooky & Scary: Beat a horror game

4) When In Rome: Beat a game with a Roman numeral in the title

5) Do You Guys Not Have Phones?: Beat a mobile game.

6) Super Title 64 Advance: Beat a game with Super, 64 or Advance in the title. 

7) The Power of Disney: Beat a Disney game (non-Marvel/non-Star Wars)

8) Portmanteau: Beat a Metroidvania game. 

9) Baker's Dozen: Beat 13 games.

Silver (Worth 3 points)

1) Three's a Crowd: Beat a Trilogy of games (Such as the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy, the Spyro Reignited Trilogy or the Metroid Prime trilogy). 

2) For Shovelry: Beat three games featuring Shovel Knight.

Gold (Worth 5 points)

1) 50/50 Raffle: Beat 50 games

Platinum (Worth 10 points)

TBD

Challenge Game of the Month:

Each month, I will select a newly released video game as a "Challenge Game." Treat this as a bronze challenge. If you beat the Challenge Game, it counts as one challenge point! 

January: TBD

RANKINGS:

Username - Games Beaten - Challenge Score

Eliwood8 - 5 - 0

blcdude1 - 4 - 0

XLW - 3 - 0

Irondog666 - 2 - 0

Young P - 2 - 0

mikecamper - 1 - 0

Pichi - 1 - 0

Art_de_Cat - 0 - 0

Malkon - 0 - 0

Edited by blcdude1

Posted (edited)

Because I'm a greedy, greedy boy, I'm reserving a post for myself!

Console: 3

Handheld: 0

PC: 1

Mobile: 0

Overall: 4

Games Beaten:
1. Katamari Damacy Reroll, Switch

2. Adventures of Lolo, Switch

3. Donkey Kong, Switch

4. Nekopara Extra, PC

Edited by blcdude1

Posted (edited)

Reserving post as well

Eliwood8's Games Beaten in 2019

C : 5

H: 0

P: 0

M: 0

O: 5

Full games list:

Spoiler

January:

1. Double Cross (Switch) [image]

2. Golf Story (Switch) [image]

3. Undertale (Switch) [image]

4. Spider-Man (PS4) [image]

5. Dead Cells (Switch) [image]

Edited by Eliwood8

Posted (edited)

Console - 2
Handheld - 1
PC - 0
Mobile - 0
Overall - 3 

1/14- 

Kirby Super Star Ultra for DS. 

It's a fun game, even though it crashed on me a few times. 

Kirby Star Allies for Nintendo Switch. 

Just as fun as I remembered it be. 

Persona 5 for PS4. 

I'm somewhat of an RPG guy, so going into one that hit close to me and has modern conventions really made my purchase. Everything fits together, and although I sometimes found enemy AI cheap at times, I only wanted to get better and improve. I have so much to say about Persona 5... but it would take forever to sum up everything here. You might see it on my Top 100 now... currently at #4. 

Edited by XLW

Posted (edited)

Making my post just to say I'm canonically the first N4A user to beat a game in 2019.

Console - 2
Handheld - 0
PC - 0
Mobile - 0
Overall - 2

Jan. 3 - Katamari Damacy Reroll - Switch

This game is wonderful. I wish it was longer.

Jan. 16 - New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - Switch

I might as well have replayed NSMB Wii. This is kind of a bland, safe sequel. Not particularly sorry I missed it on Wii U.

Edited by Young P

I mostly wasn't able to participate last year, but challenges were neat. I think it would be worth brainstorming some good ones.
I still don't understand the emulator rule, though. If I play on a flashcart, does that count over emulator, because it's functionally identical to having a cartridge?
Does Virtual Console not count because it's also an emulator?

willing to participate this year.  I participated in previous years. Hopefully I can make a serious dent in the backlog.  Looking forward to it.

3 hours ago, Pichi said:

I mostly wasn't able to participate last year, but challenges were neat. I think it would be worth brainstorming some good ones.
I still don't understand the emulator rule, though. If I play on a flashcart, does that count over emulator, because it's functionally identical to having a cartridge?
Does Virtual Console not count because it's also an emulator?

I've always taken the intent of the emulation rule to mean if you own the game, you can play it on an emulator for the purposes of this thread. I am not terribly knowledgeable in the area of flashcarts, but I believe the intent is the same. One of the goals of this thread has been to beat the backlog of games we own. 

The Virtual Console has counted in past years and continues to count. The same is true of the Nintendo Switch NES app, as well as "Classic" consoles like the NES Classic, SNES Classic and PlayStation Classic. 

5 hours ago, Young P said:

Jan. 3 - Katamari Damacy Reroll - Switch

This game is wonderful. I wish it was longer.

And, while I'm here, I'll note my first beat of the year as well. Like Young P, it was Katamari Damacy Reroll for the Switch. 

4 hours ago, blcdude1 said:

One of the goals of this thread has been to beat the backlog of games we own.

what if I want to play games i don't own instead of games i do? y;

Posted (edited)

GAMES BEATEN -- 1

01/12 --    3-D World Runner (NES) 

C: 1

H: 0

PC: 0 

Edited by mikecamper

On 1/4/2019 at 3:08 PM, Pichi said:

what if I want to play games i don't own instead of games i do? y;

You can play whatever you want.

But for the purposes of this thread, when it comes to emulation, we ask that you own the game.

I've also posted the first batch of challenges. Feel free to suggest your own!

1st game beaten of the year. Shining Force: Sword of Hayja on 3DS VC. Easily the best Game Gear title I have ever experienced.  It is the first Shining Force game I have ever beaten. I would say it's just as good as the Fire Emblem series but without the "permadeath" and it is a Damn shame Camelot doesn't make these types of games anymore. 

C:

H: 1

PC:

M:

O: 1

Challenges:

Games Beaten:

1. Shining Force: Sword of Hayja (3DS VC) 1/6/2019

P_20190106_073944_LL.jpg

I don't really anticipate fully participating this year, but I just finished FFXV. Might as well log it haha.

suggestions: make 100-games challenge worth 10-points or make it 50 games. beating a game every 4 days on average is crazy. unless you play super short ones.
make a silver challenge for beating a roguelike/lite for the first time cause those games take loads of hours to get decent enough to beat

A few things.

First, two more beats for me: Adventures of Lolo and Donkey Kong (both Switch, on the NES app). Lolo is a first time beat, Donkey Kong might as well be an annual tradition. Photos of these (and Katamari Damacy Reroll) in spoiler below.

Second, I've added rankings into the first post. It's kind of silly at this point, but at least it's there and hopefully will encourage me to keep it (somewhat) current throughout the year, rather than wait until the last minute to count everybody up. It's a start. I'll probably create a spreadsheet later.

Third, Chrom said he can make the "Gamer of the Year" rank happen. That's been updated into the main post.

Fourth, Pichi makes a good suggestion about the 100 games challenge. Looking at the prior thread, not many people managed to achieve that last year. I might make one of the two proposed changes there, it's a matter of picking one.

pAQlkvC.jpg

kVGDtpp.jpg

iZweGML.jpg

DXrEFkE.jpg

Second game of the year down with the first Shining Force. Beat it on the Sega Genesis Collection for Switch. Just as good as Fire Emblem and in some ways it is better. Found it interesting that Camelot made these games back before they did the Golden Sun titles (which are the best GBA exclusive RPGs imo).  Just started Shining Force II and on a serious tactical RPG kick. 

C: 1

H: 1

PC:

M:

O: 2

Challenges:

Games Beaten:

1. Shining Force: Sword of Hayja (3DS VC) 1/6/2019

2. Shining Force (Switch) 1/13/2019

1st game beat of 2019.

3-D World Runner  (NES)

I'm one of the lucky few to open a CIB copy that even has the old-school anaglyphic red/blue tinted 3-D specs. 

I had much longer post than this originally, but I hit the wrong button on my keyboard along the way and lost over 30-minutes worth of shit.    Maybe I'll redo it later but for now I just want to get this posted and get on with my day.

1547401144314.jpg

IMG_20190112_230159.jpg

IMG_20190112_230221.jpg

IMG_20190112_230248.jpg

First update of the year!

- Double Cross (Switch)
I was really excited to see the next title from 13AM Games, and while this one doesn't feel as fresh and unique as Runbow, it's still a fun 2D platformer. [image]

- Golf Story (Switch)
A cute little golf game, though I found myself getting a bit tired of it by the end of the story. [image]

- Undertale (Switch)
Would've been nice to play this completely fresh, without having heard hype from its fanbase constantly over the past few years. I still enjoyed it, though not, perhaps, as much as said fanbase. [image]

- Spider-Man (PS4)
What a great game, love how well it captured the simple joy of web-swinging through New York City. The Batman Arkham formula works perfectly for Spider-Man, and I even enjoyed pretty much all of the open world padding. And the story was excellent as well—really looking forward to what the developers could do with a sequel. [image]

- Dead Cells (Switch)
Finally defeated the Hand of the King with the help of a bow and amulet that gave me 50% damage reduction. Like I said in my game of the year thread, the combat mechanics are really excellent in Dead Cells; I'll probably do some more runs to explore other regions. [image]

My first game of 2019 is Breath of the Wild! Spent 65h 24m on it according to the Wii U stats.
It wasn't technically my very first play, but previously I had borrowed it from a friend and stopped partway through.
Did 50-some shrines, the divine beasts and all memories before taking on Ganon. Did a few of the big shrine quests and side stuff.
Streamed it all on Twitch, but will probably play the rest of it on my own.

image.png.a0ed1c53077497a4dd73f4d31de85763.png

Edited by Pichi