Video Games Finished in 2019

First, the main post is now updated through this post! If I missed you or have something wrong, let me know. 

I will make mention of challenges: some of you have ticked off a challenge or two with your beaten games, but I haven't seen anyone note they've completed a challenge. They're optional (obviously) but I figured I'd mention it. 

Second, another beat for me:

Beat: Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes, Switch

n8vFHJN.jpg

Edited by blcdude1

2/6- Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc for PC. 

Although I've played all of the localized Ace Attorney games and a few Professor Layton titles, I've never played any of the Danganronpa titles. Until I noticed some playthroughs from one YouTuber who played both Ace Attorney and Danganronpa, I never even heard of the series... well, maybe just the mascot Monokuma, but that's all. Was it more of a cult classic case like what happened with Earthbound, where it slowly got more attention by people actually recommending it? My murder mystery background aside, I had no real urgency to play the first game. But, I suddenly played through the whole game. And what I played was rather unique. 

The beginning starts with a teenager, named Makoto, going to a school. But, this isn't any normal school; it's Hope's Academy, where the best and talented of students are selected. To be selected, the students have to be the "ULTIMATE" of something, like sports or science. However, Makoto was just lucky, as he was randomly chosen from a lottery. Nevertheless, he heads inside, and... loses consciousness. When he wakes up, he's inside a classroom, with the windows bolted with metal and a surveillance camera. He soon meets up with the rest of his class, who don't know what's happening as well and are desperately trying to escape. They cannot, as all of the exits have been been sealed and shut, and a big huge contraption blocks the main entrance. After a weird voice tells them to go to the gym, they meet Monokuma, a teddy bear monster. It tells the teenagers that they can either stay in the school for the rest of their lives, or in order to go outside... one of them will have to get away with murdering one of their own classmates! The teens tell the bear that they wouldn't possibly do that... still, things go horribly wrong for the group day after day. It's a murder mystery, but a lot of details for each murder makes things a lot more interesting. Some are red herrings, some are bizarre truths, and some are better twists that anything M. Night Shyamalan could ever write. Trust me, the story is well and concisely developed. Though, that's not to say most of the characters were. Some work well with the story, but the rest fall into a trope *looks at Hifumi*. I know that they all have "Titles", but that is what initially drew me away from some of the other classmates. Still, some of the cast have a unique quality to them, so not all of them are 1:1 stereotypes. Monokuma's erratic behavior is probably the entire highlight of the game. A player will never know what it will say moment to moment, or how it will react. 

Danganronpa has a very cartoony and anime style that does not detract from some of the weirdest stuff that happens. Characters often express in over-the-top fashion and over dramatically. Sometimes during cutscenes, it goes full 3D, but whether it's character models or the background, it mostly stays in a 2-D plane, like gingerbread men. The music is also diverse. When there's a calm and soothing moment, the music is cheerful; but, when something suspenseful happens, the music is eerie and grim. It's never out of place, like an Ace Attorney game. Moonbeam's theme... is just Monokuma's theme. 

Gameplay is a big complaint for me. A lot of the keys and the mouse clicks are used constantly, and some keys are used for multiple purposes. I would frequently forget which key did what and mess up certain actions, and although there was a "HELP" feature, the key used for it is simply the most unintuitive= EXIT/ESC. And, there is ONE mini-game in particular that I did horribly with, but at the very END of the game did better. Quick traveling is also a pain at times, since the game doesn't allow the player to access rooms, rather than only hallways. Those problems aside, I had no difficulty interacting with the other classmates, investigating, and solving crimes during trials with the rest of what the other mini-games had to offer. Some stuff was rather vague or really complicated to figure out, but it was often 75% the opposite: clear and concise. The gameplay gets deeper as the game goes on, so I'll stop with the basic stuff. It's maybe the only weak point I can think of. 

Even though using I had a little bit of a hard time adjusting to its controls at time, this game is better than I expected. And seeing as there are two other games, maybe I'll enjoy them too. But, not right now.  

Valentine’s Day- Metal Slug for Nintendo Switch.  

I used to play this once when I went skiing. Now that I finally beat it, I can say... for an arcade shooter, it’s not bad. I don’t know what the plot is (but war is happening), but everything else works in this game’s favor... Although I’m glad I put in some quarters, since the main character dies easily. I beat it within an hour, and I feel like I got the 7 dollars worth of this game. And who doesn’t love the screams?  

2/16- Dragon's Lair for Nintendo Switch. 

I've seen some Don Bluth movies in my past. Not to the point of remembering the stories, but more for the animation, which Don Bluth excels at. And I'm a fan of video games. What do both things have in common? Dragon's Lair. 

Dragon's Lair stars Dirk the Daring, a normal knight that adventures inside the lair to rescue Princess Daphne. Along the way, he will face many enemies and evade countless traps. It might be a plain story, but Dirk is simply the highlight for his numerous screams and death animations. 

Dragon's Lair was innovative for being the first animated arcade game of the time. It wasn't Pac-Man nor Donkey Kong, and it really stood out. Don Bluth has said time and time again that he worked really hard to fit the reactions for each player's actions. The music, although minimal, is usually a death or a victorious jingle. It's mostly sound effects, like the cues telling Dirk where to go next, his amount of grunts and yells, or the sound of his sword hitting enemies. 

Onto gameplay, the only buttons the player will have are the directional and sword buttons. Now, it seems perfect from what I said, but the game is still tricky. First, although there are visual cues of what Dirk can do, some of the cues are trap themselves. For example, there's one instance where Dirk is holding onto a slanted floor above a pit, and there's a path to the left and a rope or whatever in front of him. Both the path and the rope are visuals cues, but only one of them is right. Next, some actions have to be timed just right within each interval. Some have to be immediately followed after others (like the ones during the face-off against the electrical knight), and others after a few moments of waiting for others to resume (like the ones during the blacksmith area). The visual cues sometimes can be vague (like the direction Dirk has to escape), and some rooms are mirrored during the same play-through. Last, the sequences, except for the last few moments, happen randomly. Because of all of these factors, a 100% run is next to impossible. Thankfully, modern technology has made the arcade port much easier, but even with or without the settings, the game is a little difficult to master for a first-time player. I beat it within an hour, but that was after Dirk died a good amount of deaths. Still, Dirk's death animations are priceless. 

I really had fun with Dragon's Lair. It's a real good hour time-waster. This game was bundled with the sequel and Space Age, so I'll give them a try later on.

2/16- Mega Man X3 for Nintendo Switch (MMLC) 

I played X, X2, and X4, and beat them last year. X2 was alright, but I thought X4 and X were really good. So good, that they're still in my Top 100 as I'm still writing this. But one might be asking me, "What about X3? How come you didn't finish it until recent-" BECAUSE IT WAS UNFAIR AND DIFFICULT AT TIMES! ... Let me explain that. 

X3 stars X and Zero, who try to stop Reploids from fighting each other and try to save the world and mankind. Not only are there eight new Mavericks, but there are also three new Reploids called the Nightmare Police commanded by Dr. Doppler. Dr. Doppler was a scientist that was so good with stopping the Maverick Virus, that he was dedicated his own city. However, Dr. Doppler has suddenly become Maverick too, so X and Zero have to stop him. I'll give X3 credit for having a better story than X4, although I don't think it's as great as X and X2's.  

X3 retains the details of X and X2's sprite-work, including X2's Cx4 chip. But, there's only a few moments when it has to get polygonal, compared to X2's quantity. The soundtrack takes a more hard rock feel compared to the other three games I mentioned. It's not bad, as there a good amount of songs like the first stage and Dr. Doppler 1. Though, the flame rate horribly drops when there's too much action.

Okay, so there are some new things for the game. X can collect enhancement chips to further improve his armor, the new armor to collect is not too bad, and there are four new ride armors that have specific traits, like the Frog Armor that is good for underwater. Last, Zero is playable... but he sucks in this game. He can't fight bosses, but he has his nifty Z-Sabre. 

So, why did I turn away from the game original- BECAUSE IT'S DIFFICULT SOMETIMES. ENEMIES CAN A GOOD CHUNK OF HEALTH, AND THE AMOUNT OF ENVIRONMENTAL TRAPS IS HORRENDOUS! ... I got stuck in a part where the walls are closing in. I had to... play my 3DS to see if I could do it there... and I did. What annoyed me for a good while was no longer a threat within an half hour. But, the last boss is totally hard to defeat. Also, I did actions I neither wanted to do, or not did them at all. Laaaaaaaaaaaaaag was also an issue sometimes. X3 is better in some aspects, but its difficulty is sometimes backwards.  

2/20- Star Fox 64 3D for 3DS. 

I played Star Fox Zero when it came out. I loved everything, but it was the controls that were the biggest issue, because looking at the gamepad and the TV hurt it my overall happiness with it. It did not detract from my overall appreciation for what this game tried to accomplish. It's rough around some edges, but it was the new Star Fox game in about ten years. It's been about five years later, and sadly, no new news on a new Star Fox game, though the Switch could work for a definitive edition of Zero. Since I've been trying to get into franchises that I have unfamiliar territory with and have been buying some highlights of each of them, I thought to finally check off one of the best Nintendo 64 games, Star Fox 64. I got the 3D version because I heard it's a lot more beautiful and sounds a lot nicer. 

Star Fox 64 begins with the tale of the evil scientist Andross, who was banished from Corneria for being evil. Andross plans on taking over the Lylat System, but the mercenary group Star Fox, comprised of Pigma, Peppy and their leader James, try to stop him. However, things go horribly wrong when Pigma betrays his crew, and both Peppy and James are captured by Andross' forces. Peppy escapes thanks to James, but James is presumed MIA. A few years later, Andross attack the Lylat System once more. This time, Star Fox, comprised of Falco, Peppy, Slippy, and their leader and James' son Fox, defend their world from Andross. I love this story, not only because it's a story about legacy, but the story is simple to follow, even if it's another war game. The player knows who is good and bad from the very start and the stakes involved. 

Star Fox 64 3D is beautiful. It has some of the best locations, with my personal favorite being Zoness, even if it has a really horrible gimmick. The game also has some of the best music as well, with the main theme and Star Wolf's theme being really amazing. The original game came bundled with the Rumble Pack, which paved way for rumble in all of controllers ever since. The cast is hammy, funny, and expressive. A good amount of the stuff they say are memorable, and the voice acting is legenday. 

Star Fox 64 has some really great controls, compared to Zero. Thankfully, there's a training mode, so I could get ready to fire at stuff, move around, and do a barrel role. The 3D game has gyroscoping, but I never used it. There's also rail shooters and all range mode, where the first part mentioned of the stage is on a set path,  and the latter is moving around an arena to beat something up. Make sure not to accidentally hit the companions. Go for the ships after them, because the companions are needed in some moments. Thank gosh they have different colored pointers to distinguish which ship is whose. Last is the route system, where a player can get certain routes to different planets based on how they finished a previous one. In fact, Star Fox is original there too because in order to get to the other planets, a player must retry former missions. I beat the game twice, because there's a bad and good ending. Fox can drive a submarine ship, and it's not that bad. 

The basses aren't too bad, and the Star Wolf team is iconic. This game can be beating in 1-2 hours, depending on trying to get the best stages and trying to see the other zones. It's a solid game, and I think it's better than Zero. Maybe. 

[/spoiler[

Edited by XLW
3 hours ago, Malkon said:

3 Games now:
-FFXV

-KH: Final Mix
-KH re: Chain of Memories

4 games now:

-FFXV
-KH re: Chain of Memories Rebirth/Reverse 

And yes those are two different games. Same basic structure, but two sides and two full games.

- Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition (Switch)
To be honest I got a little burnt out playing this—pacing could definitely be tighter—but I do enjoy a good RPG. [image]

- Mutant Mudds (Switch)
Bought the Mutant Mudds Collection for Switch since it was on sale for so cheap. Been a long time since I played the original game and it still holds up well. [image]

- Moonlighter (Switch)
Pretty repetitive and grindy, but there's also something addictive about the loop of exploring, collecting loot, and selling it. If the combat was more engaging it'd be really great. [image]

- Mutant Mudds Super Challenge (Switch)
Damn, forgot how hard this game actually is. And playing it back to back with the original really emphasizes that too. [image]

- Gunhouse (PS4)
I don't know why but it took me a long time to wrap my head around the gameplay mechanics in this game. Maybe it's just because the whole thing feels better suited to a touch screen. Anyway it's kind of a "meh" quality game but a decent time waster at least. [image]

I didn't read the challenge list too closely before; here are the ones I've completed:

Bronze (1 point):

4) When In Rome: Beat a game with a Roman numeral in the title (YIIK: A Postmodern RPG)

6) Super Title 64 Advance: Beat a game with Super, 64 or Advance in the title  (New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe)

9) Baker's Dozen: Beat 13 games

C : 15

H: 0

P: 0

M: 0

O: 15

Challenges: 3 points

Finished Xenoblade 2's DLC or prequel (really don't consider it to be DLC since it has its own physical game. Took me 25 hours to beat with a good chunk of sidequests. It was a just as good as Xenoblade 2 and reminded me as to why I love these games so much. It also inspired me to get off my ass and play Xenogears. I sadly (and shamefully admit) that it has been on my backlog for awhile and always been a passing thought. Was overshadowed back in the day by its bigger RPG brethren like FFVII. I had heard about it back in the PS1 days when I was...13 or 14. 20 hours in on Xenogears and loving it even if it looks like pure ass on my 4K set lol (playing it through my PSTV, fuck you mini classic!) but your eyes adjust after a few. 

C: 1

H: 1

PC:

M:

O: 2

Challenges:

Games Beaten:

1. Shining Force: Sword of Hayja (3DS VC) 1/6/2019

2. Shining Force (Switch) 1/13/2019

3. Torna The Golden Country (Switch) 1/31/2019

2/10: Soul Calibur V

My second beaten game of the year, and like Smash Bros it's really one that should have been done last year. I've left it within a few hours of being beat for a few months so finally got around to finishing it. What I'm calling "beat" for Soul Calibur is beating Libra of Souls and all of the characters Soul Chronicles. Including Raphael and Zasalamel's unlockable chapters. As always I'm sure there is a lot more I could do before I've "mastered" or "Completed" it but I'm content to call what I've done "beating" it. Game thoughts in spoilers per usual. 

Link being a guest character in Soul Calibur II is what introduced me to the world of Soul Calibur. As much I loved seeing our Hylan Hero as a guest in another game, I quickly saw past him and became engrossed in the world he introduced me to as well. Since then Soul Calibur has always been one of my absolute favorite series. When it comes to fighting games Soul Calibur and Smash Bros stand far above any other challengers in my book (though the latter still sits a bit higher). Even the less than stellar received Soul Calibur V provided me with hours of enjoyment. However, even with that being the case I could see the flaws with SCV and it didn't surprise me that the series was put on a bit of a hiatus after that. It remained a mystery if we'd even get a Soul Calibur IV. 

Luckily for Soul Calibur fans, it seems "the Legend will never die" stands true at least enough to give Soul Calibur another chance. I'm personally very happy with Soul Calibur IV. It fixed most of V's issues. Brought back classic characters and favorites, had a decent single player offering and found gameplay that is a nice mix of old and new. Geralt is among my favorite guest characters in the series other than Link, and I haven't even played his games (yet).

Libra of Soul probably isn't for everyone, but I found it to be a rather fun take on the single player mode for a fighting game. I always feel a bit mixed with "RPG Elements" in fighting games but for the sort of style, Libra of Souls used it worked. It was also pretty long. In some ways, it only felt long because it was a bit bloated, but I actually enjoyed that it gave a decent length experience. Soul Chronicle was pretty much a replacement for the standard arcade intro's and endings but I actually enjoyed it for what it was as well. Some of the voice actings was spotty and the mileage definitely varied from character to character, but I liked getting a short story for every character and thought it was pretty fun as well. 

There are certainly flaws, the character customization is pretty much a cut and paste from V but still missing a lot of it's pieces, the AI can be cheap and frustrating and we still didn't get some of the modes like team battle back, but overall I think it was a much better showing for the series than SCV and I'm hopeful it did well enough to justify a future for the series. But only time will tell, here's hoping we at least get some word on the additional DLC characters soon.

Igneous42 2019 Games Beaten

2/4: Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Switch) 

2/10: Soul Calibur IV (PS4)

C: 2

Edited by Igneous42
On 2/6/2019 at 10:25 PM, Malkon said:

4 games now:

-FFXV

And yes those are two different games. Same basic structure, but two sides and two full games.

5 games now:

-FFXV
-KH II: Final Mix

First, the main post is now updated through this post! If I missed you or have something wrong, let me know. 

Second, another beat for me:

Senran Kagura Reflexions, Switch

MVfTdvX.jpg

I like Senran Kagura and all, but absolutely hope the pinball craziness is better than this nonsense.

Edited by blcdude1

South Park The Fractured But Whole completed today. Clocked over 48 hours into the game. It was really fun and funny if (if you are a fan of the show that is). Never did play The Stick of Truth but heard that was also a really awesome game in its own right. May end up getting that at some point, still chugging through Xenogears but its been difficult to play anything that isn't portable as of late. Not sure what I am going into next.

C: 3

PC:

M:

O: 4

Challenges:

Games Beaten:

4. South Park: The Fractured But Whole (Switch) 2/16/2019

South Park The Fractured But Whole completed today. Clocked over 48 hours into the game. It was really fun and funny if (if you are a fan of the show that is). Never did play The Stick of Truth but heard that was also a really awesome game in its own right. May end up getting that at some point, still chugging through Xenogears but its been difficult to play anything that isn't portable as of late. Not sure what I am going into next.

PC:

M:

Challenges:

Games Beaten:

PC:

M:

Challenges:

Games Beaten:

Zero Time Dilemma - What a ride this series has been. I don't normally like visual novels, but the Zero Escape trilogy is something else. It has such a unique concept and plays off its central gimmick of jumping between alternate histories in such a way that seamlessly involves the player in its narrative, resulting in a story that non-interactive media would struggle to effectively deliver. On its surface it's a premise that's played itself out dozens of times: Nine people are stuck in an underground shelter, and six of them must die for the rest of them to escape. You think you know how it will play out. But you don't. I feel like anything else I say beyond that would spoil this incredible experience. 

Second, February's Challenge Game of the Month is inside the spoiler box!

72tZz18.jpg

Third, another beat for me:

Beat: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Switch 

Finally cleared out World of Light. 

4cSHSqq.jpg