Video Games Finished in 2019

So I mentioned this in the first post, but Challenge Game of the Month.

It's a thing I'm going to do: I'm going to select a newly released game each month as a "challenge" title, and beating that game earns a challenge point (akin to a Bronze Challenge).  With that said, what systems do people own? Should I stick to games on Nintendo systems, or mix it up a little bit? 

On 1/17/2019 at 10:26 AM, blcdude1 said:

So I mentioned this in the first post, but Challenge Game of the Month.

It's a thing I'm going to do: I'm going to select a newly released game each month as a "challenge" title, and beating that game earns a challenge point (akin to a Bronze Challenge).  With that said, what systems do people own? Should I stick to games on Nintendo systems, or mix it up a little bit? 

As far as newer systems go that they are still making games for?  I own a Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS, and a PS4.  As far as to what to stick too, I would say most people own at least a Nintendo Switch or 3DS at this point in the game, so it makes sense to go with those, plus this is a Nintendo Forum.

You could do one game per each major system so everyone gets a fair stab at it, I guess. Personally, Switch and PS4 are the only ones I really buy games for. I have a 3DS collecting dust somewhere, and my PC and phone aren't good enough to serve as good gaming platforms.

Also I played and beat Donut County for Switch. What a great little game. I love the writing, the design, the soundtrack. The gameplay itself doesn't present much challenge, but it doesn't need to because it's so fun. The simplicity of it is perfect.

Edited by Young P

PB's 2019 beaten games log

I beat what I beat when I beat it....

3 actual in progress games at the moment

SSBU: WoL completion

*have all the fighters via fighting

* at final boss

NSMBUDLX

Octopath Traveller

*Chapter 4s of all characters left.

1/29 nsmbdlx main game

*Want all paths open too, need to check a few alt exits + train

*Want to fire up slu too.

4/14 Yoshi's Crafted World

*going to at least also try all the Poochy Pups levels before closing shop on this game as I don't feel the desire to go for 100%s.

6/8 Box Boy! + Box Girl!

8/24 "special character beat"

* beat main game and got ending

*Co-Op beat in progress.

7/1 Super Mario Maker 2  Story Mode

*beat at 100%

*a lot more levels left to go though per the jobs listing.

**7/12  ALL Toad jobs complete on Story Mode.

10/8 Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled

--Got the end credit roll at least. 

--Still got a lot of racers, skins, paints, wheels, and bodies to go via other aspects of the game.  But as I recall the CTR and crystal challenges were a pain in the ass in old game so I expect nothing less here--not sure if I have the heart do them.

10/30 Link's Awakening

--No special ending.

--A few pieces short of all the heart containers.

--didn't care to get all the shells

--didn't care on the Dampe Dungeon thing.

Nsmbudlx thoughts:

I got because of portability of game ( I have ndmbu and slu), gcu ending in March, and a $10 coupon.  Toadette was used for every level except swimming ones as I found her swimming  mechanics unusable for me. The weird thing about peachette is it counts as a toadette power up so if you get something else after her you loose peachette.  Those jump powers are nice though.  I'd probably stick with either Mario or Luigi though as their movement speed and normal jumping abilities feel better than native toadette.

Edited by purple_beard

This is really just a formality, given that it is January 29, and I haven't announced the Challenge Game of the Month. I'm sure you can likely guess what is. 

mxxxeDy.jpg

That's right, we're starting things off with Kingdom Hearts III. Looking ahead, both February and March's games will be available on Nintendo consoles. 

February has some crazy options. Will it be Etrian Odyssey Nexus? Steins;Gate Elite? Yo-Kai Watch 3? Trials Rising? I don't know yet! I'm pretty sure on March, though. 

- YIIK: A Postmodern RPG (Switch)

Technically finished this a while ago but didn't want to post about it before my review was up. I think the battle system and certain gameplay details could've been better polished, but the surreal story is certainly engaging. [image]

- Inside (Switch)
Well, that game got a lot weirder than I was expecting. Enjoyably weird, though. [image]

- Bayonetta (Switch)
My third time playing this game (and on three different systems no less) and I'd still forgotten how tough it can be, even after shaking off the rust in the first couple of chapters. Still a lot of fun, insane action though. [image]

- Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes (Switch)
Great to see Travis Touchdown again, and I really hope we get a No More Heroes 3 at some point. [image]

- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (Switch)
Still enjoy the game, but would've liked more significant additions for this Deluxe version. I definitely recommend it if you never played it on the Wii U. [image]

C : 10

H: 0

P: 0

M: 0

O: 10

2/2- Resident Evil 2 Remake for PS4.  

In short: GO BUY THIS GAME!

I played RE0, the REmake, and Resident Evil 3 in preparation of this game and to know what transpired beforehand. Still, I also heard that this game borrowed the over-the-top-sholder camera from Resident Evil 4, the gunpowder mechanic from Resident Evil 3, and the REngine from Resident Evil 7. Could this remake be just as scary as the original, or possibly even scarier? The game stars Claire Redfield, sister of S.T.A.R.S. member Chris Redfield, and Leon S. Kennedy, a Raccoon City Police Department officer on the first day of his job, as they unexpectedly meet and head to Raccoon City. Although the city of full of zombies, Claire is searching for Chris, while Leon is searching for survivors. A truck rams into the car they're in, and even though they make it out alive, they're separated by an immediate explosion. The two promise to find each other at the police station not far from them. What starts as a rescue turns into a ominous and bizarre night. Claire helps a little girl named Sherry escape, while Leon tries to find the truth behind the whole mess with the assistance of the mysterious Ada Wong, who claims to be an F.B.I. agent. The story might have taken some notes from the first Resident Evil, but the city is a lot bigger than a mansion, and although the city is a lot more explorable in Resident Evil 3, there are few places unique to Resident Evil 2, the Underground Parking Lot and the Sewers. Plus, the cast of Leon, Claire, Sherry, and Ada separate themselves very well from the S.T.A.R.S. group too. The music is just as suspenseful as always, and even though there are moments where the contrast of colors seems to murky the sets, this game is really beautifully and a lot more vibrant compared to the other games I've played. The voice acting, like the REmake, is just as good and authentic. Now, this is where the game shines the most: the gameplay. Unlike the other games, the two characters get scenarios. The first character a player chooses is the main story, while the other one is a parallel story. Both characters not only have access to different items and weapons, but different entrances, rooms, and locations. It's not like going through the whole mansion as either character in Resident Evil 1, and because of this small change, Resident Evil 2 is one of the most highly replayable games in the series. Leon and Claire don't have any pros and cons compared to Chris and Jill, but they have different moments in their own stories. The only few I can recall that make a true return are the amount of items and different assortment of guns, defensive weapons, and ammo, puzzles, typewriters and item boxes, and the ZOMBIES! The map is even a combination of 0's and the REmake's item layout system. But, there are a couple of things that make Resident Evil 2 and the remake stand out. First, while inside the police station, a player has the option to barricade some windows with wood. If they don't... more zombies will come later. It's like the lighter fluid in the REmake in that regard. There are a good amount of unique creatures as well, like the Lickers, and even though the boss count is rather poor in comparison to the other games, the bosses themselves, Mr. X and G... are really tough. I was so afraid of Mr. X and his boots, that I turned the volume on mute to calm myself. Mr. X leaves a huge impression as a villain because of his size, his appearance, the sounds his boots make, and his stone-cold face. But, there's more to this remake! The camera is free-roaming, compared to the fixed angles of yesteryear, and the controls, like the REmake, don't have to be tank in design! Still, the game's scary even without restrictions! Even though item management is still a thing, the process of collecting, using, combining, and examining items has been significantly improved, because hip pouches increase the amount of slots in the inventory screen... and there are no load times. That goes especially for opening doors! And, I think the puzzles are probably the best to date, AND even though backtracking is still a thing because of that key system it borrowed from Resident Evil (or the remake), it's not as bad as the others games because there are NO LOAD TIMES. In the other modes that aren't hardcore, saving is unlimited. The regular zombies don't fall down after one shot to the head and they are capable of opening doors, even MR. X! Yes, Mr. X is a boss, but like Nemesis in 3, he's capable of going to many places where one least expects it. He's also a Tyrant, one of the most formidable creatures in the series. Unlike Resident Evil, I felt a lot more compelled to play through both characters because not only are there the differences in each story, but also because beating both campaigns unlocks the final boss encounter and the true ending. There are other modes to play with too, but like Resident Evil 3's Mercenaries mode, I'm not too hardcore. There are bonus collectibles as well, like models and costumes. There is paid DLC as well, like the original soundtrack, but I didn't bother. So, even though it borrows from other games in the series, it looks a little washed out at times, and it's a little bit unfair at times, those points don't detract from how wonderful this remake is. This game, along with 4 and 7 (which I haven't played yet), are probably the most accessible games in the series to date. I'm not a true fan of the survival-horror genre, but that doesn't mean I cannot appreciate the care that this game got after a long time. I highly recommend RE2make, and if this long paragraph doesn't convince you, watch the LPs of this game. SERIOUSLY, GO- *gets neck bitten*.

Edited by XLW

2/4: Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Switch)

I'm late on this one, both in terms of when I beat Smash and just getting a game on the board for this year. I've been playing the heck out of it but "beating" to me was finishing world of light and classic on every character. Even then there is ton more I could do like clearing the spirit board and getting all the challenges. But for a simple "beat" I'm happy with WoL and Classic. As always I'll put thoughts in spoilers because it can tend to get a bit long. 

I almost feel like there isn't much to say, it's Smash Bros. The series has always held a special place for me, I have a lot of fond memories playing with friends throughout the years. And since I'm a bit of Nintendo nerd it's hard for me not to love the series. It's a series that has never really let me down in terms of the game as a whole. Ultimate specifically is shaping up to be one of my favorites. Granted I'm the type who typically prefers the newest ones, Ultimate still did so much right.

Bringing back everyone was to me the most hype part of ultimate I love seeing every face in the series history back on the stage. Ridley was my most wanted character since Brawl, yet I still feel like the "everyone is here" was still even more exciting. On the topic of characters, Ultimate also gave me my three most wanted for Smash 4 in Ridley, Chrom and Dark Samus. It took a game later than when I was really wanting to see them but they're here! I had pretty much given up on Ridley and Chrom so both were a nice surprise. Outside of characters, I'm liking the feel of the game a lot. It seems more similar to Smash 4 but has some nice callbacks to melee. I've been watching tournaments and such again and I think it has great potential in that realm and hopefully a bright future. Classic is the best version of the classic I think we've had and I actually enjoyed World of Light immensely.

I have a few gripes though. All-Star is a broken shell of its old self and the computer feels cheesier than ever to me in this one. Worst though, as someone who plays casually with friends items feel out of control in this one. I know they are never supposed to be "fair" but even on low the amount of them littering the stage feels oppressive. We had a match where Ryloth and Waluigi were out at the same time and just as they ended another Assist Trophy appeared. They can be fun and chaotic for party games, and the fact the system can handle multiple on the screen at a time is neat, but low should prohibit that or there needs to be a very low. I also would have loved to see some of the traditional extra modes come back like break the target and home run contest. It was nice to have some "non-battle" little things to do here and there.

Overall minor gripes in a fantastic game and one I'll be pouring hours of time in for the next several years (till a new one is on it's way!). The best part is we're not even really done yet with the DLC characters coming in the future. 

Igneous42 2019 Games Beaten

2/4: Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Switch) 

C: 1 

I actually should have updated last year's one more time but got kind of lazy about tracking games and such. In World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth I beat the "war campaign" and Zone storylines for both factions so that's probably about as close as you can get to "beating" an MMO. It's a bummer that I didn't get SSBU and SCV on the board for last year, but it'll give me a nice little head start this year. I'm actually unsubscribed from WoW right now so maybe I'll actually knock out some more this year. Though I feel like I start every year saying that :P

Edited by Igneous42