Town Plaza - N4A Chat Thread - January 2019

Spring

What's really interesting is that when Breath of the Wild was still Wii U-only, there were some features shown off in presentations that made much greater use of the game pad.

For example, drawing a path on the touchscreen and having your horse follow it to your destination.

But when it became a dual-launch with the Switch, all the game pad features were dropped.

I feel like the sticks on the Wii U and Switch are pretty similarly average.
That said, it's no surprise that the Switch doesn't feel as durable considering the tablet form factor.
I think it'd be hard to convince people it was super portable if it was the same width and equally toy-ish as the Wii U tablet.

1 minute ago, Pichi said:

I feel like the sticks on the Wii U and Switch are pretty similarly average.
That said, it's no surprise that the Switch doesn't feel as durable considering the tablet form factor.
I think it'd be hard to convince people it was super portable if it was the same width and equally toy-ish as the Wii U tablet.

Maybe. But the springs in the latter feel that much cheaper to me.

Could be.

Maybe. But some people prefer things that are made better than to get something that looks better aesthetically. Sure the latter is nice, when it's built/made well. But it's not so great when any company chooses to cut corners.

12 minutes ago, Pichi said:

the springs? not sure what you mean.
i would prefer to have better sturdiness, too, but there's no way they'd escape their usual image problem if they didn't design it to modern tastes this time.

What helps the thumb sticks to move.

Maybe, but it couldn't have hurt them to have NOT cut corners either. People having to send in their controllers often isn't a good thing.

17 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

I think the WiiU sticks just FEEL different because the grip is thicker. The edge of the Gamepad is thicker than the Joycons, so your grip is different and how you feel the sticks is different.

Maybe, but I still think that their sticks were better. Honestly. Never ran into any issues with it. No creaking or anything that would have had me send it in.

This video is similar to the issue I'm having with my left one.

Edited by Doc Brown
11 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

I always thought that the N64's control stick felt a little bit clunky.

But maybe that's just because I never had one until after I'd grown accustomed to the Gamecube's.

hard to believe, but it was actually the most accurate stick out there.
if you're doing n64 runs, you simply can't hit specific angles as precisely with any other controller you use, whether it be a horipad, a gamecube controller, or anything else.
just a shame they were so fragile