Town Plaza - N4A Chat Thread - January 2019

Spring

Vesperia's villains are a hard question to answer.

Arc 1 as a whole is pretty disconnected from the rest of the game. There's some villain here, but once arc 1 is done he's irrelevant. Arc 1 exists to introduce you to the world of Vesperia.

Arc 2 has the biggest ensemble of villains and you see a bigger scope of the plot; the most the obnoxious nobles exit the stage during this arc. Yeagar exists, and is honestly a pretty cool bad guy.

Arc 3 is the hardest to explain without going to deep into spoilers other than to say this is where a lot of Tales-esque deconstruction happens and the early game isn't a good indicator who's the bad guy in this arc.

Edited by Arvis

I am sure this will be an unpopular opinion, but based on my limited experience with Tales characters, they don’t usually seem very nuanced; at least not the games I played. There seems to be an idea the developers were trying to get across in the game as a whole (I.e. theme), and the characters serve that idea (or tropes), rather than coming off as particularly realistic. I know many people applaud these games, but the ones I played came off as condescending, to me (Phantasia, Symphonia, Symphonia 2).

I dunno, maybe some games are better than others, and I haven’t managed to play Vesperia yet, so I will leave it at that. :P 

The Aselia games (phantasia, Symphonia, Symphonia 2) aren't very good basis tbh.

Symphonia seems fine when you're a kid, but as an adult it comes across as so cliche it leaves a lot to be desired. I felt Vesperia and Xillia avoid this for the most part; I cannot understate how good Vesperia's cast is (except maybe Karol, but even he's likable by the end). Abyss is harder to pin down since Jade is awesome but Luke is polarizing at best. Vesperia still has it's weak points; the minor villains, except Zagi, aren't interesting but as a whole it feels so much better written than Symphonia.

Phantasia is the first game and tends to play the story straight until turning around and making Dhaos sympathetic. It's a plot that's hard to get worked up about since I felt it mostly did its job.

Symphonia 2 isn't a main game and the story reflects that. It exists to have Symphonia's branding to sell a tales of Pokemon game.

Edited by Arvis

I feel like post-Akzeriuth Luke is mostly dragged down by how obnoxiously unlikable he was in the early game. After his haircut, he feels like an entirely different person.

Pre-Ratatosk Emil is in a similar boat, but takes way longer for his development to kick in.

Lloyd is probably the most "standard" in the sense that his character gradually develops slowly throughout the game, instead of having most of it happen after a single plot point.

From what I've seen so far, Yuri is already perfect, so he doesn't need to develop.