[RUMOR] Nintendo Switch Online Shop to replace the Nintendo eShop?

Not sure why Nintendo would feel the need to rebrand the Switch eShop. The eShop was a nice unified brand they could use across all current and future systems. It's definitely better that just calling it the "Wii Shop" or the "DSi Shop". Calling it the Nintendo Switch Online Shop could cause some confusion with some people thinking you need a Nintendo Switch Online membership to use it.

I really hope this doesn't mean that are planning to shutdown the eShop. :( 

Edited by alienboyva

I hope this isn't the case... :( 

Then (if it's what I'm thinking it is...) a lot of people would be left in the cold.

I just tried to view that on Twitter and ran into this 'rate limit exceeded' which is bullshit... as I haven't even been on Twitter today! :|

Just logged in and it let me view it. Hate their new set up, as I don't always want to log in.

Edited by Doc Brown
4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I hope this isn't the case... :( 

Then (if it's what I'm thinking it is...) a lot of people would be left in the cold.

I'm pretty positive Nintendo wouldn't be stupid enough to require NSO just to use the Shop on Switch. Though, I think rebranding the Switch eShop to the Nintendo Switch Online Shop is a bad idea. It would cause confusion for some people thinking that you need NSO to use it.

Edited by alienboyva
6 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

I'm pretty positive Nintendo wouldn't be stupid enough to require NSO just to use the Shop on Switch. Though, I think rebranding the Switch eShop to the Nintendo Switch Online Shop would is a bad idea, as it would cause confusion for some people thinking that you need NSO to use it.

I hope you're right about it. Exactly. It makes no sense. Only thing I can tell so far is that it recommends friends from Wii U and 3DS too. So a consolidation thing. That said, I'd hate if they'd think that everyone has a Switch and would buy games from there now and not from the other systems. It just seems far too confusing as it is. Like a repeat of the Wii/Wii U fiasco.

Edited by Doc Brown
9 minutes ago, DranSeasona said:

Agreed, if this is true it would be a silly thing to do, as clarity is always better than confusion for things like this.

That's their MO.

New Super Mario Bros.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

New Super Mario Bros. 2

New Super Mario Bros. Wii U

Nintendo DS Lite

Nintendo DSi

New Nintendo 3DS

New Nintendo 3DSXL

New Nintendo 2DS

They clearly don't care or they are oblivious to these naming schemes.

A few thoughts...

Why change it form the eShop?

Why make it a NSOShop?

And with NSO, wouldn't this be a bad way to brand online and your digital shop?

--Even I admit that NSO in terms of usage is like.... I'm doing something with these NES titles.  Is this a way to expand the titles to other systems for NSO?

Does the change mean the end of 3DS digital titles?

• Chrom featured this topic
5 minutes ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

They really haven't learned from their naming mistakes if this is true.

The eshop doesn't need to replaced, but remodeled, making it easier to find games and easier access. 

Yep. Unless their goal is to confuse people enough to go and buy a subscription to do so. And I'm betting that would backfire.

Word. It's fine as it is name wise, it just needs to be streamlined as a site.