Horseshoe Overlook - N4A Chat Thread - December 2018

ace

7 hours ago, ace said:

How would it make you feel if you tried to speak to someone in Japanese and they just dismissed you as being “cute”? You’d feel pretty shitty. Don’t do it to others. 

Oh Iok when you put it that way then yeah that's pretty shitty. 

Looking back at what I wrote yeah I retract my statement on that and I apologize on saying that. 

Edited by Kirbymeister2
41 minutes ago, Sir Grim Locksmith VIII said:

ya know, maybe journalism isn't the right thing for me.

then again, i don't know what else i could be besides a film maker. 

maybe i should just double down on that shit, eh?

Meet in the middle and be a documentarian filmmaker?

2 minutes ago, Eliwood8 said:

Meet in the middle and be a documentarian filmmaker?

Weirdly enough I want to focus more on fiction stories. I realized over the course of this semester that I prefer to entertain people more than inform people. However, that mindset is dangerous for journalism given how it can lead you down the path of cheap bullshit like tabloids, propaganda, and TMZ. 

Now that I think about it, I kinda regret thinking that Journalism was the career choice for me. I just kinda assumed that because I like writing stories, I would enjoy writing for papers. I also want to tell myself that I can provide some tangible use for society. Like, I don't want to end up like some wannabe artist that leeches off of people's hard-earned cash, though that could be the public school brainwashing talking. 

I have nothing but respect for those who try to speak different languages, let alone becoming fluent. I wish I was more of a linguist than I am. Being able to speak French would be useful where I am, for example...

@Tyranogre Well, perhaps “owe” is the wrong way of thinking. If we could find what we’re best at and contribute to society at large in a constructive way, we can at least help make it more palatable. :P 

1 hour ago, Sir Grim Locksmith VIII said:

Aye, true.

Still though, if I decide to double-down on film-making, I'd want to make sure that whatever I produce is actually fucking good and not some dumb cash grab. 

won't happen either

when you start off most of what you'll put out will be garbage until you actually develop talent, and a lot of it will be commission work and literal cash grabs just so you can finance projects you care about

you're going to sell out and make garbage a lot, welcome to the arts

26 minutes ago, luca said:

won't happen either

when you start off most of what you'll put out will be garbage until you actually develop talent, and a lot of it will be commission work and literal cash grabs just so you can finance projects you care about

you're going to sell out and make garbage a lot, welcome to the arts

Shiet, well, I guess I better make those cash grabs fucking spicy. 

Edit: I actually have sort of this backup plan where if I end up having to direct one of those dumb and shallow Hallmark movies, I would crank up the shallowness factor up to 11 and make it just creepy enough for the producers to not notice what exactly it is that I'm doing until it's too late. 

Edited by Sir Grim Locksmith VIII