Interesting video on the end of those game discount programs

Real interesting assertions....

Amazon (and BBY's) discounts on PO games were shut down by the manufacturers because of MSRPs being circumvented and they were withholding stock on items due to this.

*which I find interesting because of a)  TRU sales with their B1G1s with varying and b) GS and in some cases Target offering sales on games.

*I find it interesting too that GCU was a paid membership .... which is the same thing as Amazon Prime--no pay for service, no receive the discount

Also interesting about the digital shops and sales.....

I honestly couldn't care less about moving onto digital game wise. Seriously. Unless said game is only on that platform. I like getting physical copies of games when I can to try to save up on space, as SD cards, and other forms of saving media, costs money. All of it adds up. So I end up waiting until buy one game, get one for 40% off sales and other kinds of similar deals to get games new, or just getting them used a lot of times.

Understand why they're annoyed with discounts hitting their bottom line, but it also leads to plenty of gamers just buying far less. 

I'm basically around 50/50... but most of the digital stuff is a bit on my Wii, Wii U, Vita, 3ds, PS3. But I still prefer physical copies by a long shot.

And the usual Black Friday deep discounts are just on junk games (in my opinion) or ones I already have, the half price discounts are fine and dandy, and I'm glad they're there, but I hope some day, they bring the price down a bit more in future Black Friday Sales.

Noticed this pattern on Playstation and NIntendo sometimes when they only put their junk games on sale during the year. Ones I'd never ever think of buying. It gets to be old seeing the same old song and dance.

Edited by Doc Brown

There maybe one or two games on Black Friday that I may want to get like Crash Trilogy and Mario Rabbids but that's about it. Everything else I could care less for or already have.

Now back to this. For me I am a physical video games collector first. The BBY gamer's club was perfect for me. I am still upset it is leaving. I get why manufacters were concerned over this but idk, with TRU currently gone, Target does have sales on games, I really can't think of any other store that does sales for physical games. 

I've noticed Nintendo strongly pushing for the digital route, especially this last year with the gold coins and all of that. That's fine. Even after the program ends for me, I will still purchase physical copies of the game, unless it is something I need to play at midnight of launch and a store isn't doing a release. 

43 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I honestly couldn't care less about moving onto digital game wise. Seriously. Unless said game is only on that platform. I like getting physical copies of games when I can to try to save up on space, as SD cards, and other forms of saving media, costs money. All of it adds up. So I end up waiting until buy one game, get one for 40% off sales and other kinds of similar deals to get games new, or just getting them used a lot of times.

Understand why they're annoyed with discounts hitting their bottom line, but it also leads to plenty of gamers just buying far less. 

I'm basically around 50/50... but most of the digital stuff is a bit on my Wii, Wii U, Vita, 3ds, PS3. But I still prefer physical copies by a long shot.

And the usual Black Friday deep discounts are just on junk games (in my opinion) or ones I already have, the half price discounts are fine and dandy, and I'm glad they're there, but I hope some day, they bring the price down a bit more in future Black Friday Sales.

Noticed this pattern on Playstation and NIntendo sometimes when they only put their junk games on sale during the year. Ones I'd never ever think of buying. It gets to be old seeing the same old song and dance.

I agree with you, I tend to go with Physical Copies A LOT.  I am not against digital entirely because some games can only be purchased that way, and some are just easier to get digitally.  However, I do tend to have an issue with digital games in the sense that you are only purchasing a "license to use" and it can be revoked or suspended at anytime.  Lets take the old Wii for example,  I am not sure as to exactly when they are going to totally shut everything down, but in 2019 (think they said January) were not going to be able to purchase games, we already can't add points to the damn thing, and they are going to eventually suspend the ability to re-download your games.  So basically, I poured a small fortune into Virtual Console games back in the day (easily over $1000 or more) and am going to be at risk at losing all of them.  I am going to have to figure out if there is away to physically back up those files (I am sure there is) so I never lose them.  It is just a real bitch when you think about it.  Physical copies it is different, as long as your physical copy works you are good, then there is the ability to resell games so you can get them used.  You don't have that ability with digital.  Some will go on and on about digital being this great thing, I  just tend to see too many cons over pros.

8 hours ago, Irondog666 said:

I agree with you, I tend to go with Physical Copies A LOT.  I am not against digital entirely because some games can only be purchased that way, and some are just easier to get digitally.  However, I do tend to have an issue with digital games in the sense that you are only purchasing a "license to use" and it can be revoked or suspended at anytime.  Lets take the old Wii for example,  I am not sure as to exactly when they are going to totally shut everything down, but in 2019 (think they said January) were not going to be able to purchase games, we already can't add points to the damn thing, and they are going to eventually suspend the ability to re-download your games.  So basically, I poured a small fortune into Virtual Console games back in the day (easily over $1000 or more) and am going to be at risk at losing all of them.  I am going to have to figure out if there is away to physically back up those files (I am sure there is) so I never lose them.  It is just a real bitch when you think about it.  Physical copies it is different, as long as your physical copy works you are good, then there is the ability to resell games so you can get them used.  You don't have that ability with digital.  Some will go on and on about digital being this great thing, I  just tend to see too many cons over pros.

Exactly. Yea I don't like that either. Given both things that you mentioned, let alone servers. Agreed. It's just a pain to think about. Yep. Betting it's partially why Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony are moving more in a digital direction, so people aren't able to take games into used game stores. Same here. For any gamer on a budget, there are for less pros than there are cons. And don't forget timing of sales. A lot of times, digital sales on anything good, tend to happen at very random times of year, and a lot of times, they're just not that practical.

8 hours ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

There maybe one or two games on Black Friday that I may want to get like Crash Trilogy and Mario Rabbids but that's about it. Everything else I could care less for or already have.

Now back to this. For me I am a physical video games collector first. The BBY gamer's club was perfect for me. I am still upset it is leaving. I get why manufacters were concerned over this but idk, with TRU currently gone, Target does have sales on games, I really can't think of any other store that does sales for physical games. 

I've noticed Nintendo strongly pushing for the digital route, especially this last year with the gold coins and all of that. That's fine. Even after the program ends for me, I will still purchase physical copies of the game, unless it is something I need to play at midnight of launch and a store isn't doing a release. 

Exactly. There are some out there on Black Friday, but it's mainly on games that I couldn't care less about. During the year is mainly when I take a chance on things, since some places still do a similar thing to Toys R' Us, with buy one game, get one  40% off... and they let you choose whatever game you like for the second game. Not a perfect option, but doable.