Detective Pikachu (Movie) - FIRST TRAILER!!!

I think ultimately it’s difficult to create realistic but recognizable Pokémon. While there is clearly an uncanny valley effect going on, so far I think I agree with the artistic direction they’re going in. They’re making them real-ish, and are taking clear liberties, but are also staying as faithful as possible to the original look without being too cartoony.

I don’t think the “Who Framed Roger Rabbit” style of blending literal cartoons with real life would work for Pokémon. I wouldn’t find it immersive enough. I am hopefully optimistic that this will all work in the actual movie.

On 11/12/2018 at 9:24 PM, Fuzzer1 said:

Warner Bros is releasing it here in the US? I thought all Nintendo related movies would be distributed by Universal.

This is a movie based on a spinoff that barely has to do with the main games, and is being produced by Legendary Entertainment.  The movies being produced by Universal's Illumination Studios I'm guessing will end up being a Nintendo cinematic universe and will be more in line with the stories of their main games.

Also, Pokemon's rights is a clusterfuck I'm not sure I fully understand, but what I think I got is that it's owned by Game Freak, Nintendo, and Creatures, and Creatures is owned by Nintendo.  The Pokemon Company is just a brand management firm that's owned by the rights holders of Pokemon.  But being a brand management firm, I'm guessing it makes its own deals regarding the brand it's managing.  Could be very wrong, though.

Edited by NOA_FUCKFACE
On 11/12/2018 at 11:24 AM, Fuzzer1 said:

Warner Bros is releasing it here in the US? I thought all Nintendo related movies would be distributed by Universal.

My understanding is if Nintendo made a deal with Universal, The Pokémon Company is under no such obligation to honor the deal since they're not technically a Nintendo subsidiary. Pokémon is a joint investment between Nintendo, Creatures, and Game Freak, all of which are otherwise independent companies and each own about a third of TPC. Nintendo won't allow Pokémon to appear on PlayStation, but TPC is usually at its own discretion of what to do with the franchise (e.g., Pokémon hit mobile well before Miitomo).