Streaming services on Wii ending after January 31st, 2019

I know Google already killed off the YouTube app on Wii, but let's be honest...Are there really people still using the Wii as a streaming device? Nowadays there are so many ways to watch your favorite streaming apps, and in HD, which the Wii is not. I remember back in the day (Damn, I feel old saying that when referring to the Wii :v ) the Netflix Channel on WIi was the 2nd most used Netflix app just behind PC at #1. 

Hopefully this means Nintendo is really going to unleash all the streaming apps on Switch. Supposedly, Netflix is all ready to go for Switch and they are just waiting for Nintendo to give the OK. Funimation Now is supposedly in the works for Switch, though they haven't officially announced anything for Switch.

1 hour ago, Destiny Hero said:

What!? I have to know more about this experience. Like that DS internet browser that also required a peripheral in the GBA port.

When Netflix first came to the Wii you had to use a disc like this to actually stream content:

15316-wii_disc_600.jpg

PS3 had one also. I think it was a way of getting around the exclusive deal Netflix had with Microsoft at the time for a Netflix app on the X360? Regardless, it was functionally the same as Netflix, you just had to put this disc in every time you wanted to watch something. And the disc was free, you just had to request one from Netflix and they'd mail it to you. It wasn't even in use for very long since they released the Netflix Wii app I think less than a year later, but I had both the Wii and PS3 discs on the shelf with my games for the longest time.

1 hour ago, Destiny Hero said:

What!? I have to know more about this experience. Like that DS internet browser that also required a peripheral in the GBA port.

Back when you could still get DVDs from Netflix (before that was an app on Wii), you had to get a disc from Netflix with the app on it to use the streaming service on Wii. IIRC, there was also one for PS3 and Brazil even had one for PS2.

Edit: Ninja'd by @Eliwood8 :v 

Edited by alienboyva