Nintendo WFC Returns!!

It's now possible to connect to Nintendo WFC using a private server called Wiimmfi. While this is old news for some, the process to connecting is much more streamlined now. You now don't need a flash card or a modified ROM in order to connect online.

Just change your DNS to 164.132.44.106* (just your primary DNS) from your WFC settings, and you're good to go! Happy gaming! 

Check who's online here: https://wiimmfi.de/stat

Tell your friends to get them online too, and spread the news around! Let's populate WFC again!

*This DNS may be subject to change, and if it does I'll probably update this page with the new one.

Edited by Jun
12 minutes ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

That's amazing. It's kind of a shame Nintendo got rid of this so soon.

Yeah it was around for 9 years, but to me, playing the Pokemon games on the DS and using the WFC was clutch. 

I don't think it was Nintendo that shut it down, the original servers over at GameSpy had to shut down, therefore shutting down Nintendo WFC along with it. Nintendo didn't had choice on that sadly. 

It would need them to rewrite almost every retail game in existence to get WFC back online with new server, I believe.

2 hours ago, IU said:

I'm very tempted, but I wouldn't go online on my copy of MPH that has seen years of activity offline. I am curious to see just where I'm at in the game against other human players though.

I'll play ya. :) I loved MPH back in the day. 

Seriouusly, thanks for the tip, @Jun. ;)

22 hours ago, Laclipsey said:

I just ordered a new copy of Metroid Prime Hunters that should be delivered on Saturday. If this all works with my router, I'm available to play a couple of matches that day on the new copy. I should go ahead and test this method out with my original copy to see if I can get it to connect. I thought MPH required the router to be configured to WEP.

Edit: Never mind, the game does need a WEP key to connect itself and so I've canceled my order.

Edited by IU
1 hour ago, IU said:

I just ordered a new copy of Metroid Prime Hunters that should be delivered on Saturday. If this all works with my router, I'm available to play a couple of matches that day on the new copy. I should go ahead and test this method out with my original copy to see if I can get it to connect. I thought MPH required the router to be configured to WEP.

Edit: Never mind, the game does need a WEP key to connect itself and so I've canceled my order.

The dude mentioned in the video that not all routers support Nintendo WFC anymore. I tried connecting to my home Wifi today and sure enough, it tells me the access point's security settings aren't supported by the Nintendo DS. Which I'm not sure is the same issue he mentioned in the video. I was thinking about picking up a Nintendo Wifi USB Connector to get around it. Is that the issue you're talking about? 

Edited by Laclipsey
  • Chrom featured this topic
20 hours ago, Laclipsey said:

The dude mentioned in the video that not all routers support Nintendo WFC anymore. I tried connecting to my home Wifi today and sure enough, it tells me the access point's security settings aren't supported by the Nintendo DS. Which I'm not sure is the same issue he mentioned in the video. I was thinking about picking up a Nintendo Wifi USB Connector to get around it. Is that the issue you're talking about? 

Yeah, my router is set on WPA2. I was looking at the connection on my laptop and did see the option for WEP (without the WEP key though), but I don't want to mess around with the router since it's used by the rest of my family and multiple devices are connected. I'm interested if the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector could work around my router's current set-up.

14 hours ago, IU said:

Yeah, my router is set on WPA2. I was looking at the connection on my laptop and did see the option for WEP (without the WEP key though), but I don't want to mess around with the router since it's used by the rest of my family and multiple devices are connected. I'm interested if the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector could work around my router's current set-up.

If you got an Android phone, you can tether it so you can have a available WEP access point. No root required I believe.

Also, if your router support guest SSIDs, try setting that one up as a WEP. If not, your best bet is to find some other access point, like a coffee shop and etc. 

On 11/9/2018 at 2:34 AM, Laclipsey said:

I was thinking about picking up a Nintendo Wifi USB Connector to get around it.

Yep, that's do-able. If you don't want to run the risk of using a WEP, definitely get a USB connector and hook it up with a PC running a wired connection. It's discontinued ages ago but there should be plenty that are up for purchase, and in good condition too. 

Edited by Jun
On 11/8/2018 at 12:50 PM, Dancing Mog said:

So, how many of the old DS games will this work for?

At the moment, Wiimmfi supports hundreds of games atm. 

In the rarest chance your game isn't support (i.e. game telling you server is overloaded), verify your game is listed here. If it's not there, let me know and I'll make a game definition to support it with the devs. You could do it yourself however too. https://wiimmfi.de/stat?m=25

On 11/8/2018 at 3:36 AM, Laclipsey said:

Anytime! I'd love to set up game nights just to play some Hunters with folks here. Surprisingly enough, I feel at home with the controls after playing Kid Icarus: Uprising for so long.

--

Oh by the way, the server is also distributing Mystery Gifts for Gen 4 and 5 too! I can't determine the legality though, but they're mostly MGs that you find in stores back then.

Edited by Jun