Smash Bros Direct - Nov. 1 - Discussion

As an aside, I don't think we've seen Saki Amamiya, Tingle or Kat & Ana as Assist Trophies yet. I wonder if one might get promoted-to-playable via DLC. 

There is so much we could see in DLC. I'm still holding out hope for the likes of Geno and Shantae (I hope being a spirit doesn't disqualify her), but the one I'd really like to see fall squarely into the "never going to happen" bucket. I'd love to see Alexandra Roivas in the game and a stage (maybe the Trapper Dimension or the Oublié Cathedral). As much as I'd love to see it, I recognized this isn't really happening. 

3 minutes ago, blcdude1 said:

As an aside, I don't think we've seen Saki Amamiya, Tingle or Kat & Ana as Assist Trophies yet. I wonder if one might get promoted-to-playable via DLC. 

There is so much we could see in DLC. I'm still holding out hope for the likes of Geno and Shantae (I hope being a spirit doesn't disqualify her), but the one I'd really like to see fall squarely into the "never going to happen" bucket. I'd love to see Alexandra Roivas in the game and a stage (maybe the Trapper Dimension or the Oublié Cathedral). As much as I'd love to see it, I recognized this isn't really happening. 

Imagine if they added Alexandra in Smash while simultaneously announcing a new Eternal Darkness game for 2019.

2 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

So, what happens if you preordered physical version if you want Pirahna Plant.

And in regards to him.... that is a WTF if I have ever seen one.... but man.... did he look good and the move set looks cool as hell too.

As long as you register the game for Gold Points on My Nintendo by 1/31/19, you get it. The direct notes the the download code expires 6/30/19. 

So my thoughts.

I'm gonna be real and say I don't care for Incineroar. Idk, his evolution went from snark little adorable kittens to what I can only describe as bara furry bait and he's just someone I can't get excited for. I don't know if that's just me; Incineroar's response generally seems to be lukewarm at best.

I'm so conflicted about Spirit modes. A lot of the fights seem fun but gacha around them has me worried. Custom moves were a great idea in Smash 4, for example, but the pointless gacha around getting them essentially mooted that feature and I'm afraid spirits will have the same fate. At the same time, stat boosters have existed since Brawl and I never use them; I can only have so much salt over something I'll probably won't bother with.

I love the theme song with lyrics and the adventure mode seems cool. If World of Light has coop, I can definitely see going through it with my bf.

Pirahna Plant is such a left field character and I love it.

I'm getting this game still, but I felt this direct wasn't as exciting as the last Smash direct? I think if Incineroar was shown earlier and someone like Simon or K Rool was saved for this direct the presentation would have had a more consistent momentum.

Edited by Arvis
14 minutes ago, Arvis said:

]Pirahna Plant is such a left field character and I love it.

I'm getting this game still, but I felt this direct wasn't as exciting as the last Smash direct? I think if Incineroar was shown earlier and someone like Simon or K Rool was saved for this direct the presentation would have had a more consistent momentum.

Same on Piranha Plant.

I agree that it is tough to beat out announcing Simon and  Richter Belmont.... and the Castle stage.....  And Isabelle and King K. Rool....  And mostly because I think who did come up here just felt like they would happen but the prior announcements were like "OH SH* they are doing ____."

32 minutes ago, Arvis said:

I'm gonna be real and say I don't care for Incineroar. Idk, his evolution went from snark little adorable kittens to what I can only describe as bara furry bait and he's just someone I can't get excited for. I don't know if that's just me; Incineroar's response generally seems to be lukewarm at best.

I think Incineroar is a victim of timing. 

There was a Famitsu interview where Sakurai stated the project plan for Smash Ultimate happened in December 2015. This plan got cited in the recent direct, when they were discussing Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and the Mii costume. In the case of Pokemon Sun & Moon, I have no idea how far along in development it was in December 2015, but I know it was announced in February 2016. 

I'd suspected Incineroar was selected based on concept art or the idea alone; he's a a big wrestling cat, and they wouldn't have known at the time which Generation 7 Pokemon would be most popular. Obviously, a way around this would be to select a Pokemon from an unrepresented generation (3 or 5), but they took a shot on 7.  

31 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Same on Piranha Plant.

I agree that it is tough to beat out announcing Simon and  Richter Belmont.... and the Castle stage.....  And Isabelle and King K. Rool....  And mostly because I think who did come up here just felt like they would happen but the prior announcements were like "OH SH* they are doing ____."

The problem with Isabelle is that her reveal trailer sucked. I love her and Villager and Animal Crossing and even I couldn't get excited for it. There was no momentum and very little gameplay.

8 minutes ago, blcdude1 said:

I think Incineroar is a victim of timing. 

There was a Famitsu interview where Sakurai stated the project plan for Smash Ultimate happened in December 2015. This plan got cited in the recent direct, when they were discussing Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and the Mii costume. In the case of Pokemon Sun & Moon, I have no idea how far along in development it was in December 2015, but I know it was announced in February 2016. 

I'd suspected Incineroar was selected based on concept art or the idea alone; he's a a big wrestling cat, and they wouldn't have known at the time which Generation 7 Pokemon would be most popular. Obviously, a way around this would be to select a Pokemon from an unrepresented generation (3 or 5), but they took a shot on 7.  

This is confirmed to be how Greninja was picked. Sakurai saw the upcoming Gen 6 Pokemon designs and immediately wanted Greninja in Smash. (Not that Greninja ended up well-liked, being an aerial-based character who can't shorthop...)

I can't see much thought having been put into Incineroar. He's not what people look to Pokemon to find. He's not unique--we already have fighters and Fighting/Fire Pokemon and wrestlers and buff men and cocky men and furries. Incineroar adds nothing new to the roster's diversity of personalities. And he makes the DreamWorks face. The DreamWorks face is not welcome in any medium, ever.

Edited by Destiny Hero

With or without the Grinch leak, I am somewhat underwhelmed with the Direct. 

If Incineroar and Ken, and plant were indeed the final characters announced, I would have rather them save Ridley or K Rool for this direct. Also didn't like how they got the "final roster" announcement out of the way so early.

The Spirits seem like such an interesting concept. I am on board with that. Though I will miss scrolling through the trophy gallery.

I am sorry for Shadow and Isaac fans. l almost feel like Sakurai paid way too much attention to what people wanted/expected and pulled the Pirhana Plant from left field. I am really curious what the 5 new fighters could be.  I am shocked they didn't make an arms character playable. I am guessing one of them will be an 8th gen Pokemon. I will still hold out hope for Banjo and Geno, but it's doubtful now. 

The story mode has me really impressed and can't wait to go through it.

Not huge on Incineroar or Piranha plant, but I'm not disappointed either. This roster is MASSIVE and there's more on the way. That story mode looks AMAZING! Ridley and Dark Samus to boot? This game is just about everything I've ever wanted.

I've gotta ask: if the Piranha Plant is free for a limited time, does that mean it's NOT one of the 5 fighter DLC's included in the Fighter Pack? I can't justify spending the $24.99 if one of the characters is free anyway. If it's PPlant and THEN 5 fighters I'm totally down.

edit: from the website:

"Piranha Plant will also be available as paid DLC (separate from Fighters Pass content) at a later time."

Edited by Carl321
2 hours ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

With or without the Grinch leak, I am somewhat underwhelmed with the Direct. 

If Incineroar and Ken, and plant were indeed the final characters announced, I would have rather them save Ridley or K Rool for this direct. Also didn't like how they got the "final roster" announcement out of the way so early.

The Spirits seem like such an interesting concept. I am on board with that. Though I will miss scrolling through the trophy gallery.

I am sorry for Shadow and Isaac fans. l almost feel like Sakurai paid way too much attention to what people wanted/expected and pulled the Pirhana Plant from left field. I am really curious what the 5 new fighters could be.  I am shocked they didn't make an arms character playable. I am guessing one of them will be an 8th gen Pokemon. I will still hold out hope for Banjo and Geno, but it's doubtful now. 

The story mode has me really impressed and can't wait to go through it.

Word. I could do without Pirahna Plant. I'd rather have Shadow or Isaac in its place instead. At least Shadow is an echo. Isaac didn't even get that. He's just part of an item. y;

Edited by Doc Brown

Some of y'all are jaded and entitled as fuck.  It's never about what Nintendo gives you, it's always about what they didn't.  I got my luchador/japan pro-wrestling character and piranha plant looks absolutely absurd.  I'm gonna be happy with what weird shit they give me and not think about "OH BUT I COULD'VE GOTTEN WALUIGI OR GENO OR GOKU OR HANK HILL INSTEAD" because nobody's ever had a read on what to expect out of these games.