10 Years later, Mario Kart Wii is still selling...

Kezay

Mario Kart Wii sells another 40k during Nintendo's last fiscal quarter

Now to be fair, that's an additional 40k over the course of three months so about 13.33k per month and it's worldwide so not from any one territory, but even so it's a pretty cool statistic to think about.  Really gives some emphasis to the whole evergreen title moniker Iwata always talked about during those times and even after.

8 hours ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

You can still get physical copies of this game?

Probably via Amazon and stuff. Seen one at a thrift store once, but it wasn't in the best shape  :(. Wanted to get it, so my mom and I could race each other again. I got her to play for the first time via a rental of it. We both were horrible  :P, but it was really fun.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Probably via Amazon and stuff. Seen one at a thrift store once, but it wasn't in the best shape  :(. Wanted to get it, so my mom and I could race each other again. I got her to play for the first time via a rental of it. We both were horrible  :P, but it was really fun.

Isn't the fact you and her had fun what really mattered though?

MKWii was a great game with its only real fault being courses that were way to wide to race on.  The introduction of bikes into the series forever changed the series.  Introduction of Motion Controls/Wii Wheel changed how you could play the game ( I personally did like the motion control but found 150cc and up to be a little much for me using the wheel).  It had a pretty legit battle set up as well, but again, the only real drawback was the arenas were way too large--and well forced team set up.  Even if it was supposed to be that way to accommodate 12 racers/battlers you spent most of your time riding around looking for people to hit.

Its release date will always stick out to me in that it was released on a weekend that there was a big custom car show in town.

5 minutes ago, Kezay said:

The tracks were definitely quite wide thinking back on it.  Bikes were also so much more annoying to deal with in that game too XD Still a lot of fun back in the day.

Yeah, if they had made the tracks and arenas normal sized or maybe 1.5x and not that 2-2.5x wider than needed-- even if now accommodating 12p racing and battling it would have been perfect.  Also they should have  dropped the forced team set up for battles.

Dude... popping wheelies was so epic.... I loved the bikes.  I think their lone mistake was making them mostly OP to the karts.  I mean, yeah, I knew some folks who were legit with the Karts and could keep up a good game with the bikes....but the bikes were where it was at in the game for sure.

Maybe I just didn't play it much but that game seemed like twice as bad about pity items punishing 1st place. It kinda rubbed me wrong.
Neat that it's still selling, though. Don't think the Wii quite reached PS2 levels on longevity, but it's pretty close.

12 hours ago, Pichi said:

Maybe I just didn't play it much but that game seemed like twice as bad about pity items punishing 1st place. It kinda rubbed me wrong.
Neat that it's still selling, though. Don't think the Wii quite reached PS2 levels on longevity, but it's pretty close.

Ultimately I think you're right but it's still getting games...or at least a game.  The most recent Just Dance I think is also for Wii as well.